Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

1 minute ago, ianjonesncl said:

Very interesting to see the progress from young soldier to some one more senior and commissioned. 

Am I right in thinking the presence British War and Victory Medal ribbons means his picture is post war ? 

Yes that seems likely Ian, by the time all three ribbons were determined and made available, perhaps early 1920s. 

12 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

They are the same man from one end of a career to the other.  In the photo as a mature, but junior officer he’s probably a quartermaster, or district officer.  It’s a cracking pair of photos to have.  I’m sure of interest to @ianjonesncltoo.  Note the best battery gunnery prize badge on forearm when he was RHA.  Do you know his name?

Unfortunately he is not identified. I purchased both images separately, but from the same seller, as thought them to be of the same man taken before and after the Great War. The second image is an 8x6” portrait, the detail is superb. 

Edited by GWF1967

15 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Unfortunately he is not identified. I purchased both images separately, but from the same seller, as thought them to be of the same man taken before and after the Great War. The second image is an 8x6” portrait, the detail is superb. 

I can see why you were attracted and agree that they appear to be pre and post war portraits.  The older photo dates to around 1905 I should think.  The crown on the gunnery prize badge is post 1902.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1410956366_RoyalFieldArtilleryT.F..jpg.04581e0ef760c442f7f0d0b9fb593448.jpg908897696_RoyalGarrisonArtillery.(5).jpg.ff2c519a01101a223e574ab7a061b4bf.jpg

Royal Field Artillery T.F. in barracks. East Grinstead photographer.

R.F.A man, with 2 Good Conduct Chevrons and a wound stripe.  -  Photo by Tasma Studios, Wellington Street, Woolwich.

6 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

1410956366_RoyalFieldArtilleryT.F..jpg.04581e0ef760c442f7f0d0b9fb593448.jpg908897696_RoyalGarrisonArtillery.(5).jpg.ff2c519a01101a223e574ab7a061b4bf.jpg

Royal Field Artillery T.F. in barracks. East Grinstead photographer.

R.F.A man, with 2 Good Conduct Chevrons and a wound stripe.  -  Photo by Tasma Studios, Wellington Street, Woolwich.

A couple of either, boy entrants, or underage enlistees seated on the floor in front of the TF group I think.  Also a good view of the issued cardigan.

Edited by FROGSMILE

5 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

A couple of either, boy entrants, or underage enlistees seated on the floor in front of the TF group I think.  Also a good view of the issued cardigan.

The two men front left don't look much older.

" With best love from Driver George James Charlton. 207832.  31st Heavy Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery, B.E.F, France"

Royal Garrison Artillery. (4).jpg

Royal Garrison Artillery group in camp.

"Uncle Sam" - R.G.A.

Royal Garrison Artillery. (2).jpg

Royal Garrison Artillery. (3).jpg

6 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

The two men front left don't look much older.

Yes I do agree with that but suspect that the youngest are on the floor.  It developed over many years to be part of Army tradition for the youngest in a mixed group to be seated on the floor at the front, and it became embedded in the culture.

17 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Royal Garrison Artillery group in camp.

"Uncle Sam" - R.G.A.

Royal Garrison Artillery. (2).jpg

Royal Garrison Artillery. (3).jpg

Super picture of the group and probably an RGA “sub-section” with its sergeant seated centrally.  From memory I think there were 10-rank and file allocated to a bell tent.  Or alternatively one warrant officer, two staff sergeants, or four sergeants.  There’s a thread about it somewhere, I’ll need to check.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I'm currently working through my RWF postcard collection. I've come across a few postcards which all have the same iron fence background and the photographers reff numbers etched onto the photo are all very similar. The reverse of the cards are blank. I was wondering if the location is Kinmel Park Camp? I do have a group photo postcard of some RWF servicemen posing outside a Kinmel Park Camp training hut, which has the same sort of photographers numbering system. 

Do any of you have similar postcards in your own RWF collections? I'd be grateful for any information. 

Kind Regards Simon 

@GWF1967 @Jerry B @Hywyn @clive_hughes  

20230130_103724.jpg

20230130_103734.jpg

20230130_103749.jpg

What super photos Simon.  In the group photo it looks like some soldiers have been unexpectedly corralled for an impromptu sitting by the photographer, as they’ve literally been caught without their headdress.  When a man first joins the army (especially the combatant arms) he doesn’t realise how seriously the wearing of headdress is taken, in the sense that you’re considered undressed or “improperly dressed” without it.  New recruits in wartime, and also less experienced Territorials take some time to grow used to this, but after a while a soldier becomes accustomed to always having his headdress with him and most of the time wearing it.  It was still the case until very recently but in recent years I’ve noticed that soldiers, even regulars, are less well disciplined in that regard.

I imagine that @Dai Bach y Sowldiwrmight be interested in your query as regards the location too.

Edited by FROGSMILE

31 minutes ago, Hywyn said:

Negative report from me I'm afraid Simon.

No worries thought it was worth the ask. 

Another interesting image to share, with two wound stripes the central figure has see plenty of action - very late war view. Great view of a German 'suit of armour'.

N0678.jpg.f42feff21bd00b2dc01b10ba539c08c5.jpg

1 minute ago, Stereoview Paul said:

Another interesting image to share, with two wound stripes the central figure has see plenty of action - very late war view. Great view of a German 'suit of armour'.

N0678.jpg.f42feff21bd00b2dc01b10ba539c08c5.jpg

He is Army Service Corps and the fellow in the steel helmet Royal Garrison Artillery.  I suspect that they might be fund raising for War Bonds, or some other initiative.

Have to say the same here, Simon.  Perhaps the Regimental Museum's collections might have furher, better documented examples?   

They don't seem to be using TF shoulder titles, and are clad in a mixture of standard and economy SD jackets, plus the 1914 leather equipment.  The latter's pouches look worn & torn.  and I've seen actual American-made examples in which the leather for frogs and pouches etc. is noticeably thinner.  The units of the Welsh Army Corps (38th Division) were, however, supplied from a better-quality leather contract, and although this was eventually discarded for webbing, it would have been utilised by the corresponding Welsh reserve formations.  It was also said to have been "stained green" possibly to emulate khaki web, though how this would come out on orthochromatic film I don't know.

So if you want a quess - it's no more than that - I'd offer the earlier "K" battalions - 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, & the 12th (Res.) RWF.  

Clive

5 hours ago, Simon J Emmerson said:

Do any of you have similar postcards in your own RWF collections? I'd be grateful for any information. 

I've nothing in my collection to help identify a location unfortunately.  To echo what Dai has already said, the same style of fencing is still in use at the Leighton Hall and Glanusk estates.

2144187080_104Bde.RoyalArtillery.jpg.6a0cafbcc3c34092de0deb1e770997e5.jpg2031508152_104Bde.RoyalFieldArtillery..(2).jpg.e9ad41e21b539ef79f1a602459e5a0ea.jpg

D + B Sub-Sections, 104th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery. Adendorf, Germany. Waiting for Demobilization, 1919. 

12 hours ago, clive_hughes said:

Have to say the same here, Simon.  Perhaps the Regimental Museum's collections might have furher, better documented examples?   

They don't seem to be using TF shoulder titles, and are clad in a mixture of standard and economy SD jackets, plus the 1914 leather equipment.  The latter's pouches look worn & torn.  and I've seen actual American-made examples in which the leather for frogs and pouches etc. is noticeably thinner.  The units of the Welsh Army Corps (38th Division) were, however, supplied from a better-quality leather contract, and although this was eventually discarded for webbing, it would have been utilised by the corresponding Welsh reserve formations.  It was also said to have been "stained green" possibly to emulate khaki web, though how this would come out on orthochromatic film I don't know.

So if you want a quess - it's no more than that - I'd offer the earlier "K" battalions - 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, & the 12th (Res.) RWF.  

Clive

Many thanks for the reply Clive. I thought it was worth a shout out. 

12 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Thank you @FROGSMILE,

No, the backdrop isn't familiar to me either.
The fencing looks quite typical of rural parkland that could be anywhere in England & Wales I think.

Many thanks for taking a look Dai.

11 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

2031508152_104Bde.RoyalFieldArtillery..(2).jpg.e9ad41e21b539ef79f1a602459e5a0ea.jpg

D + B Sub-Sections, 104th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery. Adendorf, Germany. Waiting for Demobilization, 1919. 

The two B Sub-section men seated behind and to our right of the sign - one with a wound stripe and 4(?) overseas chevrons, the other with five overseas chevrons (and a Star ribbon?), two GC plus a wound stripe - look similar. Related, perhaps.

Great photograph! I may be "seeing" something that isn't there, but - do some men have light-coloured hat bands? If so, what was the significance? 

44 minutes ago, Pat Atkins said:

Great photograph! I may be "seeing" something that isn't there, but - do some men have light-coloured hat bands? If so, what was the significance? 

Looking at the relatively few wearing the rudimentary cap band I don’t think they’re umpires or acting as enemy and it wasn’t until the war that similar but neater cap bands were used for officer cadets.  Going by the two men in light coloured jackets with such bands on the right of the group I suspect that they’ve all been told off as ‘sanitary men’ for the field day training that is apparently underway.

Edited by FROGSMILE