Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Is it just me, or is there a point upwards shallow triangle on his left upper arm?

Looks like it. There's certainly a vertical line with darker cloth above. The crease makes it difficult to be sure but I'd say that it terminates in a point 

2 minutes ago, 6RRF said:

Looks like it. There's certainly a vertical line with darker cloth above. The crease makes it difficult to be sure but I'd say that it terminates in a point 

Thanks, it’s increasingly looking as if it’s a soldier of the 29th Division.

On 30/09/2010 at 05:20, 4thGordons said:

Don't know what is going on here...outdoor studio "somewhere in France"

4 different regiments: 4 different styles of jacket, 4 different forms of hose/puttees/spats, 3 or 4 different kilt tartans, 3 different types of Glengarries...

I have spent ages puzzling over this picture, its almost like an illustration of possible variations.

My best guess is it might be representatives of 4 different Canadian Scottish units? I say Canadian largely because of the 7 button tunic.

post-14525-072656600 1285820334.jpg

Chris

This looks like a group of POWs see the man on the left behind the painting with his armband.

23 minutes ago, poona guard said:

This looks like a group of POWs see the man on the left behind the painting with his armband.

I thought the same thing funnily enough.  Also, the dark jacket sans cutway front, but with kilt, is unusual other than for POW. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I thought the same thing funnily enough.  Also, the dark jacket sans cutway front, but with kilt, is unusual other than for POW. 

Don't disagree with the POW thesis but the dark jacket actually does have a "cutaway" front it is just slightly in shadow, but clear on the original.

Chris

20 minutes ago, 4thGordons said:

Don't disagree with the POW thesis but the dark jacket actually does have a "cutaway" front it is just slightly in shadow, but clear on the original.

Chris

Thank you Chris, I’m surprised by that in a POW camp, but perhaps SD jackets were dyed black by the German PW authorities.  I’ve seen dark jackets before, but this is the first with a cutaway, so it’s intriguing.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 11/12/2010 at 18:38, trenchtrotter said:

ASC with unusual arm bands MTP

TT

Hull Pals?

15th London Regt with battle patch.

post-15846-040236400 1292092577.jpg

post-15846-046370200 1292092628.jpg

post-15846-047040800 1292092683.jpg

Probably not Hull Pals - what is on the back of the postcard?

14 minutes ago, poona guard said:

Pre-war manouevres?

They are Foot Guards in the photo and it looks like the 1911 or 1913 manoeuvres.  The Foot Guards favoured the long, curved, woven shoulder titles featuring their title in full.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 14/12/2010 at 16:59, Tyneside Chinaman said:

Hi

Two Officers of a London Rifle Battalion. I cant make my mind up if they are 1/9th QVR or 1/16th QWR.

The Officer on the left has a three lettered metal title on the shoulder above the battle patch but it didn't scan very well at all. The chap on the right has a cloth title above the battel patch.

on the right

post-27843-020924500 1292345693.jpg

post-27843-069821300 1292345794.jpg

post-27843-071151900 1292345992.jpg

1st/9th 1918. Someone sent me a copy of this for use in my book on TF Great War badges.

On 20/03/2011 at 11:18, FROGSMILE said:

A nice photo and I imagine taken whilst out the line on rest given his pristine dress. Interesting to see that the ORs SD cap was retained, as it later (between the wars I think, but I am unsure of the date) was not permitted to mix OR with officer uniform. As Grumpy says, it must be 1915 after the authorised change in WO1 rank insignia and the absence of medal ribbons gives a large window in which the sitting probably took place. The uniform looks brand new to me and I wonder if the sitter had the photo taken to record his first wearing of it.

Just tried colourising it and it is a red triangle.

On 01/04/2011 at 15:32, john gregory said:

Yes I noticed that he had shoulder titles on as well Frogsmile, so frustrating when you ca'nt make them out.

post-20062-0-99201900-1301668337.jpg

Machine Gun Guards worn by the whole battalion who often kept their individual unit badges as well

9 minutes ago, poona guard said:

Machine Gun Guards worn by the whole battalion who often kept their individual unit badges as well

Indeed.  There are a few interesting threads on the subject outside of postcards.

01D08C84-F2D4-4A04-968B-FD1A10B8E540.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Essex Regiment.  A brush is marked 742.  4 Ex. The mitten on the right is numbered 18245.  The housewife, knife, fork and spoon are also numbered, but are unfortunately unclear.

Essex Regt..jpg

The cap is not properly lined up...needs to moved go the right.

18 hours ago, ianjonesncl said:

The cap is not properly lined up...needs to moved go the right.

In the bottom left and right corners is what looks like the pull-through and oil bottle for a rifle. Wouldn't these be stored in the rifle butt itself?

& what is in the small can at the front of his bed, it appears as if its cap is partally off to expose the contents?

& behind the tin a chunk of soap perhaps?

1 minute ago, RNCVR said:

& what is in the small can at the front of his bed, it appears as if its cap is partally off to expose the contents?

Dubbin up front I believe. Anybody know what the mitten on the right was for?
Barbed wire or something else. 

Edited by GWF1967

4 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

The can contains webbing or buff leather treatment in the form of paste Bryan. A common make was Blanco in more recent years, but there were originally several others.   Behind is a typical block of yellow (usually) soap.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks mates for the explanation, I have used Dubbin many times, & being ex RCN I recall Blanco very well. It could make a real mes of a blue serge tunic if too much was alied to the white web belt we wore of ceremonial ocassions.

Edited by RNCVR

1 minute ago, RNCVR said:

Yes GWF, of course!

Yes it could be Dubbin too, I agree.

7 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Thanks mates for the explanation, I have used Dubbin many times, & being ex RCN I recall Blanco very well. It could make a real mes of a blue serge tunic if too much was alied to the white web belt we wore of ceremonial ocassions.

Yes, agreed on both counts.  The tin is at the front and close to the boots so perhaps dubbin is the more likely in this case.  I didn’t like putting it on with a brush, as it clogged them up, and so always used my fingers.  Their warmth helped make it soak in to the leather.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I did same with Dubbin, great for leather boots.

27 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

I did same with Dubbin, great for leather boots.

We’re showing our age Bryan, youngsters don’t know what Dubbin is nowadays…😂

Edited by FROGSMILE