Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

The man standing middle center at the back is Pte. Christopher Cox who would go on to be awarded the Victoria Cross in 1917.

Part of 'A' Company 7th Bedford's, under training at Haslemere February 1915.

Similar to another I posted recently (same location but different men).

Early Days.jpg

Still one of my favourite threads.

Well done all.

Gary.

This young man had his photograph taken at Lancelot Cadman, Kent Green, and is thought to be Private Ernest William Briscoe, GS/7048, 7th Dragoon Guards (Princess Royal's) identified by very feint writing on the rear of the frame.

554D0EC3-3F01-4294-BAC0-EB2358C60706.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Gunner 87 said:

This young man had his photograph taken at Lancelot Cadman, Kent Green, and is thought to be Private Ernest William Briscoe, GS/7048, 7th Dragoon Guards (Princess Royal's) identified by very feint writing on the rear of the frame.

554D0EC3-3F01-4294-BAC0-EB2358C60706.jpeg

He looks like a boy entrant, do you know his age at enlistment?  Many cavalry units wore collar badges during ww1. 

5DA4D7CF-C236-4774-BFA3-CB7940F8F5DF.jpeg

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

He looks like a boy entrant, do you know his age at enlistment?  Many cavalry units wore collar badges during ww1. 

5DA4D7CF-C236-4774-BFA3-CB7940F8F5DF.jpeg

If we have the right person, and his appearance concerns me a little, he was born 1889 / 1990 and served in the TF ben 1909- 1912 before the 7th DG. The solder I have identified was in France late 1914 so this may give an indication as to when he enlisted.

51 minutes ago, Gunner 87 said:

If we have the right person, and his appearance concerns me a little, he was born 1889 / 1990 and served in the TF ben 1909- 1912 before the 7th DG. The solder I have identified was in France late 1914 so this may give an indication as to when he enlisted.

I don’t think it can be someone born in 1890, going by his very youthful appearance, unless the photo was taken around 1906-1907, perhaps as a boy trumpeter.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Captain. Felix Cyril Timmins Hadley.    Lieutenant. 3rd Volunteer Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers. - Lt. Musketry Instructor. 3rd R.W.F. -  Capt. 8th R.W.F, Gallipoli. Capt. Railway Transport Executive.

Private. 6th Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Territorial Force.     Photograph by J.T. Welch. 6 Midland Road, Bedford.

Private. Royal Welsh Fusiliers.    Photograph. Van Ralty Studios.( Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Nottingham, Oldham, Bolton, Etc. Etc.)

2 x Privates. Royal Welsh Fusiliers.  Marching Order.

Capt Hadley.jpg

6th RWF...jpg

Royal Welsh Fus. (2).jpg

Roy Welsh.jpg

On 21/01/2023 at 10:32, Raster Scanning said:

The man standing middle center at the back is Pte. Christopher Cox who would go on to be awarded the Victoria Cross in 1917.

Early Days.jpg

Pte Cox is my grandfather. The village of Achiet-le-Grand erected a memorial to him in 2007 at the site of the action for which the VC was awarded. The pillar is Bedford brick. Unusual in that it's a memorial to someone who did not die in the war.

Steve

Memorial in 2022.jpg

Bedford brick - what a nice touch. Thank you for posting this, you must be proud of your grandfather.

On 21/01/2023 at 10:32, Raster Scanning said:

Nice. It's almost as if they said "right, everyone present? Oh, the stretcher bearers ... yes, they can just stand at the back ..."

On 22/01/2023 at 23:39, Grain Kitten said:

Pte Cox is my grandfather. The village of Achiet-le-Grand erected a memorial to him in 2007 at the site of the action for which the VC was awarded. The pillar is Bedford brick. Unusual in that it's a memorial to someone who did not die in the war.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Hope all is well. I remember that well, all started by Phillipe if memory serves.

On 23/01/2023 at 05:39, Grain Kitten said:

Steve

Memorial in 2022.jpg

Hello, here is one from my collection you may not have seen. On the way to receive his VC

s-l1600 5.jpeg

Edited by Raster Scanning

8 minutes ago, Raster Scanning said:

Hello, here is one from my collection you may not have seen. On there way to receive his VC

Lovely pic. Looks like part of a collection, which I believe was labelled as Kings Langley seeing them off? Although it looks a bit built up behind to be in Kings Langley ... 

The lady to the right (missing teeth) has to be Mrs Cox's sister? Bit of a resemblance there. The joy on their faces is just lovely :)

Edited by steve fuller

6 minutes ago, steve fuller said:

Lovely pic. Looks like part of a collection, which I believe was labelled as Kings Langley seeing them off? Although it looks a bit built up behind to be in Kings Langley ... 

The lady to the right (missing teeth) has to be Mrs Cox's sister? Bit of a resemblance there. The joy on their faces is just lovely :)

I believe it is London. It was taken by a London based press photographer

1 hour ago, Raster Scanning said:

I believe it is London. It was taken by a London based press photographer

Checked what I was thinking of and it's the one after the ceremony by the looks of things, with him holding a case (presumably with his VC inside) and his wife looking at the contents. All of the same faces in both! Trees in the background and a stone pillar to the left of the photo. It's a scan of a postcard by the looks but I cant verify the source so probably best to not post it here

4 hours ago, steve fuller said:

Yes , one of her sisters, but I don't know which one, she had five, though one had emigrated to Australia so there's four to choose from.

4 hours ago, Raster Scanning said:

Hello, here is one from my collection you may not have seen. On there way to receive his VC

s-l1600 5.jpeg

Thanks for posting this John, not one I've seen before

9 hours ago, steve fuller said:

Nice. It's almost as if they said "right, everyone present? Oh, the stretcher bearers ... yes, they can just stand at the back ..."

Hi Steve,

Hope all is well. I remember that well, all started by Phillipe if memory serves.

9 hours ago, steve fuller said:

Hi Steve,

Hi Steve, yes all is well, Yes, Phillipe was the main instigator and organiser. Without him the memorial wouldn't have happened.

OK it is not an actual postcard - a Stereo Card though. Just one of my favourite ever images from the collection and unintentionally hilarious (well at least they stuck a piece of wood and a piece of brick to stop it rolling away!). Lowestoft bombardment April 1916 - these shells ,designed to penetrate heavy armour tended to go though the buildings rather than actually explode.

N0670H.jpg.cec13285b6bf5c25d2b664aa8dae18b2.jpg

17 hours ago, Stereoview Paul said:

OK it is not an actual postcard - a Stereo Card though. Just one of my favourite ever images from the collection and unintentionally hilarious (well at least they stuck a piece of wood and a piece of brick to stop it rolling away!). Lowestoft bombardment April 1916 - these shells ,designed to penetrate heavy armour tended to go though the buildings rather than actually explode.

Yes it’s an evocative photo I agree.  Queen’s (Royal West Surrey Regiment).  The soldier on right appears to be equipped with the Japanese type 30 Arisaka rifle and bayonet issued as an expedient while British production was increased to meet demand.  They are almost certainly the 69th Provisional Battalion formed from Home Service TF personnel of the regiment.  Following the effects of conscription, on 1st January 1917 they became the 19th Battalion TF.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Royal Horse Artillery 1st Prize Gunner. 

Lieutenant - Royal Artillery, wearing British War and Victory Medal ribbons.  Photograph by E. Pearson, Withennsea.

Royal Horse Artillery (2).jpg

Royal  Artillery .jpg

5 hours ago, Stereoview Paul said:

What a great image.  Thanks so much for sharing.

Trying to reconcile today's response to unexploded ordnance, involving the evacuation of surrounding properties, with this image where it's clearly drawn a crowd.  Presumably, the shell has already already been defused?  One would hope so.

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

Royal Horse Artillery 1st Prize Gunner. 

Lieutenant - Royal Artillery, wearing British War and Victory Medal ribbons.  Photograph by E. Pearson, Withennsea.

Royal Horse Artillery (2).jpg

Royal  Artillery .jpg

They are the same man from one end of a career to the other.  In the photo as a mature, but junior officer he’s probably a quartermaster, or district officer.  It’s a cracking pair of photos to have.  I’m sure of interest to @ianjonesncltoo.  Note the best battery gunnery prize badge on forearm when he was RHA.  Do you know his name?

Edited by FROGSMILE

The fuse doesn't appear to be missing and the sentry has obviously been posted to deter local scrap merchants

11 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

They are the same man from one end of a career to the other.  In the photo as a mature, but junior officer he’s probably a quartermaster, or district officer.  It’s a cracking pair of photos to have.  I’m sure of interest to @ianjonesncltoo.  Note the best battery gunnery prize badge on forearm when he was RHA.

Very interesting to see the progress from young soldier to some one more senior and commissioned. 

Am I right in thinking the presence British War and Victory Medal ribbons means his picture is post war ?