Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

• Admin
15 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

HYDRANT (water connection point) I think. 

That was my first guess, second was REGIMENT but then thought the buildings may be at a railway station hence there being a restaurant there. The word looks to end in HT or MT or NT. The clearest I can make out is ...........AURANT

Edited by Bob Davies

A few service chevrons, wound stripes, 14 star and gallantry ribbons on show here...

Screenshot 2022-08-27 172527.jpg

25 minutes ago, Marc Thompson said:

A few service chevrons, wound stripes, 14 star and gallantry ribbons on show here...

That’s quite a significant photo I think.  There’s no less than 8-black SNCOs of the Royal Artillery, who all appear to be from the same unit. There was a thread not long back about a particular dependent territory, or colony (I forget which**) that provided an RGA unit (as already trained and experienced with coastal artillery).  I think this image might be connected.  There’s also a stalwart looking black sergeant of the King’s Royal Rifle Corps at far right.  At far left with arms folded is a man wearing an unusual tunic.  His cap badge suggests either the Military Provost Staff, or Royal Defence Corps. 

It would be interesting to know where the repatriation camp was.  Presumably either Calais or Dover.

**might it be Bermuda @aodhdubh @ianjonesncl ?

Edited by FROGSMILE

16 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Bermuda

"Bermuda Contingent Royal Garrison Artillery - Northumbrian Gunner meanderings - The Great War (1914-1918) Forum"

"Gunner Aubrey Lambert, Bermuda Contingent Royal Garrison Artillery - Soldiers and their units - The Great War (1914-1918) Forum" https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/299430-gunner-aubrey-lambert-bermuda-contingent-royal-garrison-artillery/#comment-3139937

PS. Cracking photo!

Edited by charlie962

1 minute ago, charlie962 said:

"Bermuda Contingent Royal Garrison Artillery - Northumbrian Gunner meanderings - The Great War (1914-1918) Forum"

"Gunner Aubrey Lambert, Bermuda Contingent Royal Garrison Artillery - Soldiers and their units - The Great War (1914-1918) Forum" https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/299430-gunner-aubrey-lambert-bermuda-contingent-royal-garrison-artillery/#comment-3139937

Yes that’s it charlie962!  I think that the SNCOs in the photo might well be from that unit.

Edited by FROGSMILE

The Bermuda Contingent RGA moved from France to England in April 1919, returning to Bermuda 11th July 1919.

They were therefore in the UK on Empire Day, May 24th 1919, pending repatriation.

A comparison of a BCRGA Officers / Sergeants photograph taken in the UK and the Repatriation Camp photograph would seem to show the BCRGA Sergeants.

I hope I have identified the men correctly. Sharper eyed Pals maybe able to confirm.

1346580992_BermudaContingentRGAResettlementCourse.jpg.c784decc0bc9618c18d01c3e024ac677.jpg

large.525537305_BCRGAOfficersSNCOs.jpeg.90f1e3aaecf0a27f1700a4c7460f9848.jpeg

Brilliant stuff Ian!  It’s not a photo I’ve seen before so maybe we’ve broken some new ground here 👍

Fantastic stuff. I can confirm that the repatriation camp was at Pitt Corner, Winchester.

Here is another photograph from the same source.

Screenshot 2022-08-27 192603.jpg

Edited by Marc Thompson

The cadre of the 1st Battalion, Hampshire Regiment returned to Winchester on 21 June 1919 and I picked out the following black soldiers in the crowd outside the Guildhall.

Image1.jpg

11 minutes ago, Marc Thompson said:

repatriation camp was at Pit Corner, Winchester.

Here is another photograph from the same source.

and it looks like this includes the BCRGA Officers.

1395675907_BermudaContingentRGAResettlementCourseWinchester.jpg.4c81accff2788148435528f296bd523a.jpg

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

**might it be Bermuda @aodhdubh @ianjonesncl ?

Those are great photos. I recognise a few faces right off from the Bermudian contingent of the RGA. At least one Lincolnshire Regiment capbadge...possibly a Bermudian, although most Bermudians who served with the Lincolnshire Regiment wore the Bermuda Volunteer Rifle Corps badges. I'll come back later to look more closely.

The MGC CQMS in the photographs is William Thomas WALDREN and it his him who we have to thank for the images.

56 minutes ago, Marc Thompson said:

The MGC CQMS in the photographs is William Thomas WALDREN and it his him who we have to thank for the images.

He obviously got on well with the Bermudians I think.  It was a striking scene to see the big Bermudian sergeant stood behind him with both his paws on CQMS Waldron’s shoulders.

Your other photos are evocative of that 1919 period and the activities of the Bermudians, and I’m sure that their archivists will be pleased if they can get copies of the prints.

1 hour ago, aodhdubh said:

Those are great photos. I recognise a few faces right off from the Bermudian contingent of the RGA. At least one Lincolnshire Regiment capbadge...possibly a Bermudian, although most Bermudians who served with the Lincolnshire Regiment wore the Bermuda Volunteer Rifle Corps badges. I'll come back later to look more closely.

It’s a good outcome that the photos have emerged together like this I think.

Edited by FROGSMILE

6 hours ago, Marc Thompson said:

In this photograph, in addition to the Lincolnshire Regiment cap badge at bottom-right of the photograph, there appear to be three men wearing Bermuda Volunteer rifle Corps cap badges standing in the third row (second, third, and fourth from the right of the photograph). Possibly soldiers returning to Bermuda for discharge from various units were collected at the same camp.

20 minutes ago, aodhdubh said:

In this photograph, in addition to the Lincolnshire Regiment cap badge at bottom-right of the photograph, there appear to be three men wearing Bermuda Volunteer rifle Corps cap badges standing in the third row (second, third, and fourth from the right of the photograph). Possibly soldiers returning to Bermuda for discharge from various units were collected at the same camp.

I’m not sure how you can differentiate those men from Rifle Brigade?  Two of the three have black rifles pattern GS buttons.

Edited by FROGSMILE

7 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I’m not sure how you can differentiate those men from Rifle Brigade?  Two of the three have black rifles pattern GS buttons.

Yes...that's why I wrote "appear". The Bermuda Volunteer Rifle Corps uniform, as per the original regulations, was "of Rifle Brigade" pattern. I'll compare the men shown to the members of the two BVRC contingents to the Western Front, but have not had time to do so yet. This is the First Contingent:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BVRC-Great-War-Contingent_1914.jpg

1 hour ago, aodhdubh said:

Yes...that's why I wrote "appear". The Bermuda Volunteer Rifle Corps uniform, as per the original regulations, was "of Rifle Brigade" pattern. I'll compare the men shown to the members of the two BVRC contingents to the Western Front, but have not had time to do so yet. This is the First Contingent:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BVRC-Great-War-Contingent_1914.jpg

I understand.  I suppose it is possible that the OP photo shows a group of men who are all from Bermuda, regardless of cap badge (and so including the KRRC sergeant), perhaps along with a few of the administrative staff from the repatriation centre, such as CQMS Waldren.  The photo has been most intriguing I feel, including the revelation that such repatriation centres were set up, presumably in readiness to return overseas citizens to their homes.  I wonder if it was unique (given its nearness to Southampton as the international shipping terminal and hub), or whether there were other regional examples near Felixstowe (East), and Liverpool (North West).

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 28/08/2022 at 08:52, FROGSMILE said:

I understand.  I suppose it is possible that the OP photo shows a group of men who are all from Bermuda, regardless of cap badge (and so including the KRRC sergeant), perhaps along with a few of the administrative staff from the repatriation centre, such as CQMS Waldren.  The photo has been most intriguing I feel, including the revelation that such repatriation centres were set up, presumably in readiness to return overseas citizens to their homes.  I wonder if it was unique (given its nearness to Southampton as the shipping hub), or whether there were other regional examples near Felixstowe (East), and Liverpool (North West).

The KRRC had one Bermudian I know of, but he was a Private and was supposed to have been transferred to the BWIR, so it should not be him. A great many Bermudians served overseas in a great many regiments, and other services during the war, so it's plausible. This is the Second Contingent of the BVRC. They seem to have mostly been issued Canadian tunics, possibly due to the Canadian battalions posted to Bermuda before preceding to the Western Front.

1916 BVRC Second Contingent.jpg

Edited by aodhdubh

6 minutes ago, aodhdubh said:

The KRRC had one Bermudian I know of, but he was a Private and was supposed to have been transferred to the BWIR, so it shold not be him. A great many Bermudians served overseas in a great many regiments, and other services during the war, so it's plausible. This is the Second Contingent of the BVRC. They seem to have mostly been issued Canadian tunics, possibly due to the Canadian battalions posted to Bermuda before preceding to the Western Front.

1916 BVRC Second Contingent.jpg

An excellent photo and I’m sure that you must be right about the Canadian SD jackets, as it would have been a natural administrative arrangement for whichever unit was the official crown garrison to support the BVRC with that battalion’s ‘clothing account’ and the supply chain that sustained it.

If the other men with RB type insignia do turn out to be  Bermudians then I’ll be surprised if the KRRC SNCO isn’t too.

Edited by FROGSMILE

14 hours ago, Marc Thompson said:

The cadre of the 1st Battalion, Hampshire Regiment returned to Winchester on 21 June 1919 and I picked out the following black soldiers in the crowd outside the Guildhall.

Image1.jpg

Is the black (Afro-Carribean) soldier on the left of the group, standing next to an older lady, wearing a Tam o Shanter (TOS)?

58 DM.

2 minutes ago, 58 Div Mule said:

Is the black (Afro-Carribean) soldier on the left of the group, standing next to an older lady, wearing a Tam o Shanter (TOS)?

58 DM.

Yes he is, and although very blurred the outline shape of his badge suggests King’s Own Scottish Borderers.

NB.  I recall that there was quite a famous black soldier who served with (I think) both, KOSB and the Royal Scots Fusiliers.  I wonder if it is he.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Once again a photo has sparked off a whole series of posts that merit a thread of their own- or in this case  maybe added to one of the existing Bermuda contingent threads? 

What do you think, Marc? It's your photo. @Marc Thompson

On 28/08/2022 at 08:52, FROGSMILE said:

I understand.  I suppose it is possible that the OP photo shows a group of men who are all from Bermuda, regardless of cap badge (and so including the KRRC sergeant), perhaps along with a few of the administrative staff from the repatriation centre, such as CQMS Waldren.  The photo has been most intriguing I feel, including the revelation that such repatriation centres were set up, presumably in readiness to return overseas citizens to their homes.  I wonder if it was unique (given its nearness to Southampton as the shipping hub), or whether there were other regional examples near Felixstowe (East), and Liverpool (North West).

A couple of my relatives I know of, and probably others I am unaware of, went to the Western Front in the Bermuda contingent RGA. I've looked through the service papers of my step-forebear, 1189 Gunner Horatio Josiah Fanshaw Smith, RGA (previously 676 on militia enlistment, but militia rems of service were for local service only, so all volunteers for the contingent were re-enlisted as regulars for the duration...also served after the war as a JNCO), which definitely show he was in Winchester in May, 1919, though not too precise as to where in Winchester. I'm sure one of the two photographs above is dated Empire Day, which as far as I know is the 24th of May...previously the Queen's Birthday 'til 1902...still a holiday in Bermuda, though the name has been changed more than once (and traditionally the earliest date to go swimming). Smith's papers show the contingent embarked on the 22nd of May, however. This was actually most of the contingent, not all of it. Of those who were still serving in Europe at the end of the war, some returned in small groups at different dates, or individually, including the OC, Major TM Dill, who returned to Bermuda on leave at the end of 1918, had his leave extended, and was still in Bermuda when the main body of the contingent returned in 1919. As I mentioned in another thread (), the bulk of the contingent (four commissioned officers, a Warrant Officer, the acting CQMS, and 194 other ranks) returned to Bermuda aboard the SS Ulua, arriving on the 11th of July, 1919. I do not know if that was a direct journey across the Atlantic, or if they went first to Canada and changed vessels.....

2022-08-30 UPDATE: The SS Ulua sailed to Bermuda from London. After arriving at the City of Hamilton, Bermuda at 08:00 (according to one source, another indicates after 09:00) on the Friday, the 11th of July, 1919 (another source stated on Saturday [the 12th], and another the 13th), it disembarked the Bermuda Contingent RGA and possibly other soldiers and offloaded cargo, and departed for New York at 16:30 on the same day.

1189 Horatio Josiah Fanshaw Smith BC RGA 001.png

1189 Horatio Josiah Fanshaw Smith BC RGA 002.png

1189 Horatio Josiah Fanshaw Smith BC RGA 003.png

1189 Horatio Josiah Fanshaw Smith BC RGA 004.png

1189 Horatio Josiah Fanshaw Smith BC RGA 005.png

1189 Horatio Josiah Fanshaw Smith BC RGA 006.png

1189 Horatio Josiah Fanshaw Smith BC RGA 007.png

1189 Horatio Josiah Fanshaw Smith BC RGA 008.png

1189 Horatio Josiah Fanshaw Smith BC RGA 009.png

1189 Horatio Josiah Fanshaw Smith BC RGA 010.png

1189 Horatio Josiah Fanshaw Smith BC RGA 011.png

1189 Horatio Josiah Fanshaw Smith BC RGA 012.png