Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Last two pages of the above were knocked off the upload as being over the data limit, though the total MB was below 14...

1189 Horatio Josiah Fanshaw Smith BC RGA 016.png

1189 Horatio Josiah Fanshaw Smith BC RGA 017.png

17 hours ago, Marc Thompson said:

A few service chevrons, wound stripes, 14 star and gallantry ribbons on show here...

Screenshot 2022-08-27 172527.jpg

I would like 1200 dpi scans of both of these photographs if possible, Marc. They would be greatly appreciated for the Bermuda's Defence Heritage Exhibit (Bermuda Maritime Museum/"National" Museum of Bermuda) and the Bermuda Archives collections. The Bermuda Contingent RGA are rather poorly documented in photographs...That I can recollect, I have only ever seen six other photographs of the unit, or groups from the unit, and several studio portraits, while serving abroad.

Edited by aodhdubh

38 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Once again a photo has sparked off a whole series of posts that merit a thread of their own- or in this case  maybe added to one of the existing Bermuda contingent threads? 

What do you think, Marc? It's your photo. @Marc Thompson

Fine with me. Are the mods able to split this thread and add content elsewhere (as on other forums that I belong to)?

10 minutes ago, Marc Thompson said:

Fine with me. Are the mods able to split this thread and add content elsewhere (as on other forums that I belong to)?

@Marc Thompsonif you are happy I can add the photographs onto my blog.

25 minutes ago, Marc Thompson said:

It would be great if the images could also continue to feature here. 

3 hours ago, ianjonesncl said:

@Marc Thompsonif you are happy I can add the photographs onto my blog.

Fine with me.

Just a correction to the detail provided. The images derive from CQMS William Thomas Waldren MM and Bar. I may have erroneously referred to his brother RQMS Frederick Henry Waldren in this thread.

Edited by Marc Thompson

4 hours ago, Marc Thompson said:

Fine with me.

Just a correction to the detail provided. The images derive from CQMS William Thomas Waldren MM and Bar. I may have erroneously referred to his brother RQMS Frederick Henry Waldren in this thread.

I note that CQMS Waldren was MGC in the photo.  Assuming he was a prewar regular (he has the look of one) do you know what his original regiment was?  I’m guessing Hampshire’s given your interest and knowledge of his sibling too.

19 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I note that CQMS Waldren was MGC in the photo.  Assuming he was a prewar regular (he has the look of one) do you know what his original regiment was?  I’m guessing Hampshire’s given your interest and knowledge of his sibling too.

William Waldren was an Old Contemptible with 1st Battalion Hampshire Regiment, and transferred to the MGC on their formation. He later became an active member of the Old Contemptibles Association, Dorking Branch. 

Edited by Marc Thompson

17 minutes ago, Marc Thompson said:

William Waldren was an Old Contemptible with 1st Battalion Hampshire Regiment, and transferred to the MGC on their formation. He later became an active member of the Old Contemptibles Association, Dorking Branch. 

Thanks Marc, confirms what I suspected reading between the lines.

German Artillery Reserve 1907

Outside of our timeframe, but I thought this card of interest.  Is anyone able to translate?

Mike.

Image (85).jpg

Image (86).jpg

2 minutes ago, MikeyH said:

German Artillery Reserve 1907

Outside of our timeframe, but I thought this card of interest.  Is anyone able to translate?

Mike.

Image (85).jpg

Image (86).jpg

@GreyC @charlie2and @knittinganddeath might be able to help.

On 28/08/2022 at 16:19, Marc Thompson said:

I was hoping to find his service papers, but have not. I wondered if he may have served in Bermuda 1905 to 1907 in the 2nd Battalion, Hampshire Regiment.

This is an article from the Royal Gazette newspaper of Bermuda dated 15th of July, 1919.

1919-07-15 RG Pg 04-BC RGA at Winchester.jpg

6 hours ago, aodhdubh said:

I was hoping to find his service papers, but have not. I wondered if he may have served in Bermuda 1905 to 1907 in the 2nd Battalion, Hampshire Regiment.

This is an article from the Royal Gazette newspaper of Bermuda dated 15th of July, 1919.

1919-07-15 RG Pg 04-BC RGA at Winchester.jpg

A fascinating article to bring meaningful, thought provoking context to the photo(s) of the Repatriation Camp.  Thank you for posting it.  I take it that ‘BMA’ refers to Bermuda Militia Artillery?

Edited by FROGSMILE

17 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

A fascinating article to bring meaningful, thought provoking context to the photo(s) of the Repatriation Camp.  Thank you for posting it.  I take it that ‘BMA’ refers to Bermuda Militia Artillery?

Yes...no mention of Bermuda Volunteer Rifle Corps in the article, though Rifle Brigade are mentioned. BMA would indeed be the Bermuda Militia Artillery....the name was not updated in 1902 when those of Militia Artillery units in the British Isles were (to "Territory Artillery RGA (Militia)"). It was reorganised on TA lines in 1928, but the name was not modified to reflect this.

Edited by aodhdubh

20 minutes ago, aodhdubh said:

Yes...no mention of Bermuda Volunteer Rifle Corps in the article, though Rifle Brigade are mentioned. BMA would indeed be the Bermuda Militia Artillery....the name was not updated in 1902 when those of Militia Artillery units in the British Isles were (to "Territory Artillery RGA (Militia)"). It was reorganised on TA lines in 1928, but the name was not modified to reflect this.

Thank you, I recall those salient facts from your earlier postings and just want to confirm that the BCRGA were still referring to themselves in that way.

Although I was aware of this topic, and indeed it has become a classic,  I had not really followed it's contents. Something I am now doing catch up on and thanks to the many contributors that make it so fascinating. 

Taking a couple of points that were raised;

On 28/08/2022 at 10:38, Marc Thompson said:

On 28/08/2022 at 11:07, GWF1967 said:

It would be great if the images could also continue to feature here. 

I have started to link a blog entry recording the Gunners that people have kindly posted on the thread. If I have linked any photographs that anyone does not want linked, please let me know. 

18 hours ago, aodhdubh said:

William Waldren enlisted in 1912 and served with the 1st Battalion, Hampshire Regiment.

4 hours ago, morrisc8 said:

I have this postcard dated 1907 to L/Cpl J. [ jim ] Bundley North Staff Rgt. H Coy 1st Vad? Batt. Morfa Camp.
North Wales. The camp was used in ww1 and ww2.
Link to camp info.
https://historypoints.org/index.php?page=site-of-army-camp-conwy

Army postcard.jpg

Army postcard back.jpg

An amusing card with a theme I’ve not seen before.  His unit is the 1st Volunteer Battalion that a year later (in 1908) became the 5th Territorial Force (TF) Battalion when the auxiliary forces underwent wholesale reforms.

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 minutes ago, morrisc8 said:

Thank you Frogsmile for the info. Postcard of the camp pre ww1. Huts were put up later.

Morfa Camp Conway..png

It gives a particularly good indication of the extent of varied Army tentage.  Theirs a thread on that precise subject somewhere for which this would be a good addition I think.

11 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

It gives a particularly good indication of the extent of varied Army tentage.  Theirs a thread on that precise subject somewhere for which this would be a good addition I think.

This is probably the thread you refer to FROGSMILE. That is quite a view of tentage, thanks @morrisc8.

British Army tents

By goldeagle1939,
16 August , 2009 in Other Equipment

12 hours ago, morrisc8 said:

Thank you Frogsmile for the info. Postcard of the camp pre ww1. Huts were put up later.

Morfa Camp Conway..png

I assume that's on the coast near Tywyn. I was there in '84. Still fenced off MOD property at the time, but not in use. I gather it's been disposed of now.

31 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

This is probably the thread you refer to FROGSMILE. That is quite a view of tentage, thanks @morrisc8.

British Army tents

By goldeagle1939,
16 August , 2009 in Other Equipment

Yes that’s the exact one Bob.

30 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes that’s the exact one Bob.

It is not surprising how so many threads are connected in one way or another, just a matter of keeping ones mind liked to them all :lol: I was just trying to imagine the tonnage of canvas/poles and pegs not to mention the other accoutrements that make up a camp. All pitched in precise order so the whole becomes one, from men to an army.