Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

• Admin
On 25/06/2022 at 18:36, charlie962 said:

Are you sure it is JF and not J.T. ?

Thanks charlie962, I will have a look for a J. T. and see what comes up! ......Nothing that stands out.

Edited by Bob Davies

Charles Squires.  Rifle Brigade. 

Photograph. R. Guilleminot, Boespflug et Cie. Paris. 

image.jpeg.5e07fad11949085d38720be68e248993.jpeg

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

Charles Squires.  Rifle Brigade. 

Photograph. R. Guilleminot, Boespflug et Cie. Paris. 

image.jpeg.5e07fad11949085d38720be68e248993.jpeg

Most unusual to see a Rifle Brigade man without black buttons.  I’d quite happily wager that he’s not a regular, for whom that would be a cardinal sin that he’d never live down. 

• 3 weeks later...

"Gunner (Thomas) Auld, 49051 R.G.A. 26th Siege Battery, B.E.F, France.    With Love & best wishes & very nice too. Connie XX."

T.Auld RGA (2).jpg

Pte. Arthur Thomas 68146.   186th Coy. Machine Gun Corps.

"13 Glanmor Road, Llanelly". 

A.Thomas. MGC.jpg

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

Pte. Arthur Thomas 68146.   186th Coy. Machine Gun Corps.

"13 Glanmor Road, Llanelly". 

A.Thomas. MGC.jpg

His jacket is unusual.  Very thin cloth and with smooth buttons like a Hussar styled unit.  What was he before MGC?

32 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

His jacket is unusual.  Very thin cloth and with smooth buttons like a Hussar styled unit.  What was he before MGC?

He enlisted with the South Wales Borderers, transferring to the M.G.C. in late 1916, before proceeding to Mesopotamia ( Baghdad and Basra ); the heat disagreed with him.

13 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

He enlisted with the South Wales Borderers, transferring to the M.G.C. in late 1916, before proceeding to Mesopotamia ( Baghdad and Basra ); the heat disagreed with him.

Interesting, thank you.  There’s a story behind that uniform, but sadly lost to time.

On 15/07/2022 at 00:38, FROGSMILE said:

Interesting, thank you.  There’s a story behind that uniform, but sadly lost to time.

Maybe his tunic is from mesopotamia, though the buttons are still unusual

7 minutes ago, Jerry B said:

Maybe his tunic is from mesopotamia, though the buttons are still unusual

Yes I think that you’re right Jerry, scrutinising it again it appears to be a rough type of khaki drill.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1."Dining Room Staff"    "George Cyril Barnes, Standing in doorway"     George Cyril Barnes. T4/060119. A.S.C.   1914.

Barnes + Dean. A.S.C. (4).jpg

Edited by GWF1967

2.  From.   - Bernard Hedley Dean, T4/246100.  Front left.       31/10/1914.  "Miss Barnes,  Pilsley,  Bakewell.  - Thanks for letter + contents. (George) Cyril left us yesterday for Motor Depot at Pangbourne. Kind Regards."

Barnes + Dean. A.S.C. (3).jpg

Edited by GWF1967

3. George Cyril Barnes, front row, 2nd from left.  

Barnes + Dean. A.S.C. (2).jpg

Edited by GWF1967

10 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

1."Dining Room Staff"    "George Cyril Barnes, Standing in doorway"     George Cyril Barnes. T4/060119. A.S.C.   1914.

Barnes + Dean. A.S.C. (4).jpg

That’s a particularly good view of the mechanics boiler suits (overalls) issued to mechanical transport units of the ASC and the crews of the Tank Corps.  They seem to be co-opting them for use in the dining room in lieu of either, the 2-piece canvas fatigue suits usually provided, or cooks whites. 

14 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

2.  From.   - Bernard Hedley Dean, T4/246100.  Front left.       31/10/1914.  "Miss Barnes,  Pilsley,  Bakewell.  - Thanks for letter + contents. (George) Cyril left us yesterday for Motor Depot at Pangbourne. Kind Regards."

Barnes + Dean. A.S.C. (3).jpg

These seem to be second-line men, or very early in the war given the widespread use of obsolescent Slade-Wallace equipment waistbelts.  An early period is borne out too by the rank badges of the variety of SNCOs in the front row, a sergeant, quarter-master-sergeant (4-inverted stripes both sleeves), and staff sergeant.  The QMS became a WOII in the summer of 1915, with his badge becoming a plain crown, and the staff sergeant appears to be wearing obsolescent (or perhaps bullion) patterns of stripes and crowns on his SD.  As a man whose status rated as a 1st-class staff sergeant grade, the QMS has had his SD bespoke made from superior cloth.  This was permitted in accordance with clothing regulations of 1911 (with amendments 1914).

Edited by FROGSMILE

14 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

3. George Cyril Barnes, front row, 2nd from left.  

Barnes + Dean. A.S.C. (2).jpg

This final picture appears to be very late in the war with most men wearing overseas service chevrons and a majority (possibly all) with the ribbon from 1914 stars.  It seems likely to be a survivors celebratory photo taken early in 1919.  Notice how the SNCOs of the ASC favoured leather gaiters with their superior appearance akin to riding boots from a distance.  The sergeant seated far right as we observe seems to be wearing a black crepe mourning band in its correct place of left upper arm.

Thank you for posting this series of interesting photographs.  They appear to encapsulate the war service of George Cyril Barnes 1914-1919.

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

These seem to be second-line men, or very early in the war given the widespread use of obsolescent Slade-Wallace equipment waistbelts.  An early period is borne out too by the rank badges of the variety of SNCOs in the front row, a sergeant, quarter-master-sergeant (4-inverted stripes both sleeves), and staff sergeant.  The QMS became a WOII in the summer of 1915, with his badge becoming a plain crown, and the staff sergeant appears to be wearing obsolescent (or perhaps bullion) patterns of stripes and crowns on his SD.  As a man rated as a 1st-class staff sergeant grade the QMS has had his SD bespoke made from superior cloth.  This was permitted in accordance with clothing regulations of 1911 (with amendments 1914).

Both me were from Pilsley, Nr. Bakewell, and were originally members of the Transport and Supply Column, Notts and Derby Mounted Brigade, Territorial Force.  Bernard Hedley Dean transferred to the regular A.S.C. 1/9/1916 and was MID 30/1/1919.

2 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Both me were from Pilsley, Nr. Bakewell, and were originally members of the Transport and Supply Column, Notts and Derby Mounted Brigade, Territorial Force.  Bernard Hedley Dean transferred to the regular A.S.C. 1/9/1916 and was MID 30/1/1919.

Yes I understand, looking at their general appearance and outdated (in 1914) equipment it makes sense that they had been prewar Territorials.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I saw this postcard on Facebook today and thought it worth sharing. 

D20E24ED-4452-4C80-AE87-E0EF1A1D5241.jpeg

18 hours ago, Gunner 87 said:

I saw this postcard on Facebook today and thought it worth sharing. 

Two super little Bombardiers!  I suspect that their father was either the unit tailor, or a close friend of the unit tailor!  I wonder if they are twins.

Edited by FROGSMILE

"Mrs Yoxall + Mr Powell,   High St.  Weaverham, Nr. Northwich".   

Mary Yoxall, B. 1864 Northwich, wearing a sweetheart locket (she had two sons of service age), and Mr. Powell, a qualified signaller with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

RWF. Southport. (3).jpg

Edited by GWF1967

The Barracks, (R.W.F.) Wrexham. 

"3 Platoon, No1 Company"  3rd Reserve Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

RWF. Southport. (2).jpg

RWF. Southport. (5).jpg

26 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

"Mrs Yoxall + Mr Powell,   High St.  Weaverham, Nr. Northwich".   

Mary Yoxall, B. 1864 Northwich, wearing a sweetheart locket (she had two sons of service age), and Mr. Powell, a qualified signaller with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

RWF. Southport. (3).jpg

Superb quality photo, you can even make out the face of a uniformed man in the locket.  It’s a pity that Powell has such a common surname, it would have been good to know if he survived. 

10 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

The Barracks, (R.W.F.) Wrexham. 

"3 Platoon, No1 Company"  3rd Reserve Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

RWF. Southport. (2).jpg

RWF. Southport. (5).jpg

Barracks gates that I know quite well.  Recently handed over by the Royal Welsh to REME I think.  Interesting to see the mixture of youth and experienced SNCOs in the group photo of the regular Reserve battalion.  The reclining sergeant front left is an assistant physical training instructor.  The setting appears to be the battalion’s mobilisation station under canvas (Southport**) not that long after war’s declared (probably summer 1915), as the APTI is also wearing an emergency pattern simplified jacket, one of several that are discernible.

NB.  As it’s just men apparently from a single platoon, but there are several sergeants, some of them must be lance sergeants.  The two sergeants in the foreground have regimental pattern swagger sticks with nickel ball tops embossed with the regiment’s crest (see central stick below).

**Southport isn’t mentioned as one of the 3rd Battalion stations but elements would have deployed on summer training camps from their permanent duty station at nearby Litherland. There should be some record in local newspapers.

E5DDA2AF-12E9-455E-8DBB-919077B2E99A.jpeg

7A800476-AA3C-49EF-9AEC-80AF79A3FDFC.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/05/2022 at 23:16, GWF1967 said:

Postmarked - Tilshead, August 15th 1910.

To. Bandsman G. Parfett. 20th Hussars, Curragh Camp, Ireland.

"Dear G.   Well I have arrived at this lovely spot, no doubt you have heard all about it before now, I might say it suits me better than the Curragh. Kindest regards, your Joe."

Hussars. .jpg

Sorry not to have commented before - I only visit this thread occasionally. "Tilshead" suggests West Down North or South Camp on Salisbury Plain (some distance from the current Westdown Camp). Both camping-sites were much used during the summer months, mostly by infantry - Volunteer Battalions and Territorials. The sender had been apparently based at the Curragh, suggesting he was a Regular. I don't think that the photograph was taken at West Down (I have only one probably showing civilians there); somehow the men (apart from the young one,centre, back) don't strike me as military and they appear to have been at a formal occasion, such as a wedding.