Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

On 09/05/2022 at 09:33, Jerry B said:

I assume no one had any idea on the helmet flash, I think he is Egyptian expeditionary force, but not what the flash is?

Hello there

I've been sorting throuh a load of images I've downloaded over the last while and found this one, which shows a very similar patch to yours. The tile is as follows- "Sgt Ernest Johnson, ASC (TF) HQ, Welsh Border Mounted Brigade, Egypt 29 August 1916". I think it was on Ebay some time ago.

William

1647282265_SgtErnestJohnsonASC(TF)HQWelshBorderMountedBrigadeEgypt29August1916.jpg.325e03ce8a8cf495ad7db23245f3921d.jpg

It certainly does look the same, William.  The shoulder title would be T-ASC-WELSH

11 hours ago, caladonia said:

Hello there

I've been sorting throuh a load of images I've downloaded over the last while and found this one, which shows a very similar patch to yours. The tile is as follows- "Sgt Ernest Johnson, ASC (TF) HQ, Welsh Border Mounted Brigade, Egypt 29 August 1916". I think it was on Ebay some time ago.

William

1647282265_SgtErnestJohnsonASC(TF)HQWelshBorderMountedBrigadeEgypt29August1916.jpg.325e03ce8a8cf495ad7db23245f3921d.jpg

thank you, I thought the flash looked similar to Welsh horse but was not that, so another welsh unit makes sense.  Nice pic, great to have the annotation

On 13/05/2022 at 22:51, FROGSMILE said:

That’s a super and very natural looking image of typical young Territorials Jerry.  Some good views of long lee enfield rifles, with the old style buff leather slings, and both p08 and Slade-Wallace waistbelts.  There are also some rather youthful lads standing at left, who look under 17.

thanks as always Froggy

my other recent arrival, as usual Welsh regiment, at camp with buff belts but no sign of any shoulder titles.

2 welsh pc's at camp f2 wm.jpg

2 welsh pc's at camp f2 wm crop.jpg

52 minutes ago, Jerry B said:

my other recent arrival, as usual Welsh regiment, at camp with buff belts but no sign of any shoulder titles.

2 welsh pc's at camp f2 wm.jpg

2 welsh pc's at camp f2 wm crop.jpg

It’s noticeable that they’re all very young, including those peeking from behind the tent, without any apparent leavening with older men.  I agree that the absence of shoulder titles seems odd, perhaps during that period just after 1908 when their issue by the ordnance supply chain was awaited (the old cloth titles had just been replaced).  That timeline would be supported by the Slade-Wallace equipment waistbelts.

There was a regulation at that time that within barracks accommodation boy entrants were to be accommodated separately until they classed as adult soldiers, and I imagine that might have applied in tentage too.  Perhaps what we see are a boy establishment for the battalion concerned, although I would have expected to see some drum and band badges.

Edited by FROGSMILE

14 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

It’s noticeable that they’re all very young, including those peeking from behind the tent, without any apparent leavening with older men.  I agree that the absence of shoulder titles seems odd, perhaps during that period just after 1908 when their issue by the ordnance supply chain was awaited (the old cloth titles had just been replaced).  That timeline would be supported by the Slade-Wallace equipment waistbelts.

There was a regulation at that time that within barracks accommodation boy entrants were to be accommodated separately until they classed as adult soldiers, and I imagine that might have applied in tentage too.  Perhaps what we see are a boy establishment for the battalion concerned, although I would have expected to see some drum and band badges.

all young as you say but not band/drummers/buglers, interesting about keeping them separate from the older soldiers.   Early TF as you say seems most likely for the date 1908ish.

On 13/05/2022 at 23:06, Jerry B said:

T4 welsh regiment at camp

2 welsh pc's at camp f1 wm.jpg

good morning,

very nice picture.

you have the date it was taken?

this unit came from to Loos in September 1915.

thank's

michel

1 hour ago, battle of loos said:

good morning,

very nice picture.

you have the date it was taken?

this unit came from to Loos in September 1915.

thank's

michel

We both think around 1908 Michel, after the new web belt was available, but before the brass shoulder titles began to be issued.

Edited by FROGSMILE

"61409 Pte.  Harry German,  38th Coy. M.G.C.  Mesop Expd Force"

Overseas 18/9/1915. - Pte.18548,  6th Battalion, Loyal North Lancs.

Harry German.jpg

Edited by GWF1967

12 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

"61409 Pte.  Harry German,  38th Coy. M.G.C.  Mesop Expd Force"

Overseas 18/9/1915. - Pte.18548,  6th Battalion, Loyal North Lancs.

That’s a very nice, bespoke jacket in pseudo officer style that he’s had made by a bazaar tailor for walking out.  His pride (very chuffed) in being photographed in it is palpable.  He would not have been permitted to wear it in a formed body on parade.  Particular features are the bellowed skirt pockets and the stitched down self belt that along with 5, rather than the later 4 buttons, were features of the 1902 pattern officer garment.

Edited by FROGSMILE

10 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

That’s a very nice, bespoke made jacket in pseudo officer style 

Many thanks for your observations. 

38 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Many thanks for your observations. 

I’m glad to help.  Tailoring was very cheap compared to at home so it was popular for soldiers’ to have a special garment made up for walking out of the cantonment/barracks when granted a pass.  As well as the swagger stick, he’s had some overseas service stripes stitched on. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

"O' What a night  - To 5 The Avenue, Linthorpe, Middlesbrough"

Isaac Benjamin. Driver/Gunner . 211741  Royal Field Artillery. 

Home service.  Discharged 22/11/18, Rheumatic Arthritis. 

Horace Benjamin (2).jpg

Edited by GWF1967

On 21/05/2022 at 18:49, GWF1967 said:

"O' What a night  - To 5 The Avenue, Linthorpe, Middlesbrough"

Served overseas as Pte. 32199 - 12th Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment.  Transferred to 1st battalion. Awarded Military Medal for bravery in the field.  (L.G. 11/3/1919)

Interesting that he started out on home service as a gunner.  I imagine that there was something of a story as to how he got into the Glosters rather than a Northern regiment.

Edited by FROGSMILE

21 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Interesting that he started out on home service as a gunner.  I imagine that there was something of a story as to how he got into the Glosters rather than a Northern regiment.

I think a misidentification is behind the story, I believe it to be an older brother and have amended my previous post accordingly. 

19 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

I think a misidentification is behind the story, I believe it to be an older brother and have amended my previous post accordingly. 

I understand and that makes more sense.

Royal Field Artillery group outside a billet. 906200480_Mont_Yeo.S(2).jpg.6a9ea4e248271913134f28a1803b5814.jpg

Welsh Guardsman and his bride.  Gloucestershire Regiment man looks to have a cloth shoulder title and unit patch.

Mont. Yeo. S (3).jpg

17 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Welsh Guardsman and his bride.  Gloucestershire Regiment man looks to have a cloth shoulder title and unit patch.

Mont. Yeo. S (3).jpg

What a super photo, thank you for posting it.  It’s rather a poignant family gathering and one immediately wonders how long their obvious happiness lasted and whether or not the two soldiers survived.  It seems likely to be reasonably early in the war, both men are wearing the simplified emergency pattern jacket.

18 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Royal Field Artillery group outside a billet. 906200480_Mont_Yeo.S(2).jpg.6a9ea4e248271913134f28a1803b5814.jpg

This seems very likely to be a billet in France or Flanders and taken some time mid 1916 onwards given the steel helmets and respirator case straps seen diagonally across the chest.  At some point a general order was issued, if I recall correctly, dictating that the respirator was to be worn at all times when out and about.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Postmarked - Tilshead, August 15th 1910.

To. Bandsman G. Parfett. 20th Hussars, Curragh Camp, Ireland.

"Dear G.   Well I have arrived at this lovely spot, no doubt you have heard all about it before now, I might say it suits me better than the Curragh. Kindest regards, your Joe."

Hussars. .jpg

Edited by GWF1967

A Squadron, Montgomeryshire Yeomanry,  at Llanfair Caereinion.  1914. 

Mont. Yeo. S (4).jpg

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

A Squadron, Montgomeryshire Yeomanry,  at Llanfair Caereinion.  1914. 

Great photo, they’re wearing the service dress from after the Boer War.  It was khaki with coloured collar, shoulder straps and trefoil knots formed from the same colour piping on the cuffs.

562F0150-D2DF-450C-B27B-6533A45A1326.jpeg

AE6E7B97-73FC-4044-ABC2-D436F354CB96.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE