Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

44 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Here is a link to the list on the CWGChttps://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/search-results/?CemeteryExact=true&Cemetery=DAR+ES+SALAAM+(UPANGA+ROAD)+CEMETERY&Size=100&Page=3&Sort=dateofdeath Confirming what you say there is a soldier from the 68th Field Bakery RASC who died on 3rd March 1919. (see Edit on my last post regarding dates) The later burials are mainly of older soldiers 30 plus and up into their 50s where the age is mentioned.

Yes that all fits with a typical group of detail’s personnel. 

13 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

It is interesting that this RE soldier is wearing very similar gaiters to those worn by Mackenzie at Dar es Salaam. Is it an article of dress particular to RE  signals or just coincidence?

I think they were possibly issued to signals linesmen and motorcycle dispatch riders Bob.  I’ve certainly noticed them a lot in photos of such RE signals service personnel. 

• Admin
23 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Very interesting Bob, I’m familiar with the campaign but haven’t read about it for some years now.  I’m sure from his appearance that he’s not an officer, although his dress is a reflection of the more pragmatic attitude to campaigning in hot climates that were a feature of that campaign, in which the 25th RF played a leading part.  The cap badges from the graveyard  that you mention relate to the combat service support, and I think that links in with the photo’s annotation too.  The term ‘Details’ usually relates to the support services (cooks, bottle washers, et al) and so “Main Details” suggests to me the tent lines where they were located in the main encampment.

'Details' now makes a lot more scene to me now I have slept on it, thanks FROGSMILE.

22 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I think they were possibly issued to signals linesmen and motorcycle dispatch riders Bob.  I’ve certainly noticed them a lot in photos of such RE signals service personnel. 

I am glad is wasn't just my imagination that I had seen them before on other pictures :lol: When  have some time I will have a look on ancestry to see if I can pin Mackenzie down, I am thinking there will be hundreds of men with that name in the RE!

11 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

'Details' now makes a lot more scene to me now I have slept on it, thanks FROGSMILE.

I am glad is wasn't just my imagination that I had seen them before on other pictures :lol: When  have some time I will have a look on ancestry to see if I can pin Mackenzie down, I am thinking there will be hundreds of men with that name in the RE!

Details can also mean a pool of personnel from which work parties may routinely be drawn.  In marching evolutions a squad of men told off as a work party is generally referred to as a detail.  As in - detail…shun.  Detail will move to the right in file, right turn. etc. etc.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
11 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Details can also mean a pool of personnel from which work parties may routinely be drawn.  In marching evolutions a squad of men told off as a work party is generally referred to as a detail.  As in - detail…shun.  Detail will move to the right in file, right turn. etc. etc

As in you chaps are the spud bashing detail, fall out to where ever I have sent you. You chaps are the guard detail...thinking this may not be correct here?

2 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

As in you chaps are the spud bashing detail, fall out to where ever I have sent you. You chaps are the guard detail...thinking this may not be correct here?

Not so much pure military tasks, like guard, just the life support stuff: coal fatigue, kitchen fatigue, mattress filling, area cleaning, laundry collection (sheet exchange), etc. etc. 

• Admin
4 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Not so much pure military tasks, like guard, just the life support stuff: coal fatigue, kitchen fatigue, mattress filling, area cleaning, laundry collection (sheet exchange), etc. etc.

Yes I understand. As I typed in Guard detail I thought that would be a more important detail, so perhaps not a detail but a duty and organised on a higher level.

12 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

Yes I understand. As I typed in Guard detail I thought that would be a more important detail, so perhaps not a detail but a duty and organised on a higher level.

Yes, ‘guard duty’ was (is still) the correct term.

"Uncle Ned Reeves and family. 1914-18"    - Army Service Corps. 

Ned Reeves. ASC. (2).jpg

4th Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Territorial Force. 

T4.RWF.jpg

30 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

4th Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Territorial Force. 

T4.RWF.jpg

Knowing the RWF as l do his nickname would have been ‘Dai Wing-nut).  He’s either a battalion transport man or the battalion had not yet been issued with p08 equipment.

Edited by FROGSMILE

38 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Ned Reeves. ASC. (2).jpg

I wonder if he survived to return to his young family…

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
On 12/06/2022 at 21:30, GWF1967 said:

I can find an Edward Reeves, from Shifnall Salop married with 2 children courtesy of Ancestry.

Name: Edward Reeves
Record Type: Disability
Birth Date: 1874
Residence Place: Shifnall Salop
Military Service Region: West Midlands, Midlands
Military Country: England
Discharge Date: 21 Mar 1918
Service Number: T4/092079
Corps, Regiment or Unit: Royal Army Service Corps
Service Branch: Military (Army)
Title: WWI Pension Record Cards and Ledgers
Description: Pension Record Ledger
Reference Number: 6/MR/No.1709
On 12/06/2022 at 22:08, FROGSMILE said:

I wonder if he survived to return to his young family…

Courtesy of Fold 3; image.png.c1480afcdd44c362747dc1e554d92894.png

1 hour ago, Bob Davies said:

I can find an Edward Reeves, from Shifnall Salop married with 2 children courtesy of Ancestry.

Name: Edward Reeves
Record Type: Disability
Birth Date: 1874
Residence Place: Shifnall Salop
Military Service Region: West Midlands, Midlands
Military Country: England
Discharge Date: 21 Mar 1918
Service Number: T4/092079
Corps, Regiment or Unit: Royal Army Service Corps
Service Branch: Military (Army)
Title: WWI Pension Record Cards and Ledgers
Description: Pension Record Ledger
Reference Number: 6/MR/No.1709

Courtesy of Fold 3; image.png.c1480afcdd44c362747dc1e554d92894.png

Thanks Bob, it’s nice to see that he made it back to his kids.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

Courtesy of Fold 3;

Many thanks for digging Bob. 

O.K., not WW1, but I bet “David” served. Can you track down him & the Major Madders ? 
Is the surname ‘Larrigan’ ?

The stamp was removed, but the shadow of the imprint  on  the picture side seems to be 1906.

196472706_OnshoreJump.jpg.cf23329c65cc234768d7dea5cee08055.jpg276990200_onshorerev.jpg.a6549d1b6c7f3c0d6913868a866d39b4.jpg

1 hour ago, Kath said:

O.K., not WW1, but I bet “David” served. Can you track down him & the Major Madders ? 
Is the surname ‘Larrigan’ ?

The stamp was removed, but the shadow of the imprint  on  the picture side seems to be 1906.

196472706_OnshoreJump.jpg.cf23329c65cc234768d7dea5cee08055.jpg276990200_onshorerev.jpg.a6549d1b6c7f3c0d6913868a866d39b4.jpg

I imagine @horatio2 will find the image of interest, Kath.  I should think Major Madders was probably a Royal Marine.

• Admin

Been through the census for Moresk Road Truro but can't find anything similar. It seems a fairly working class community with a number of Jewish names

Not sure about 'Lannigan'  there is definitely a dotted 'i'. "L****gais(?)

1 minute ago, kenf48 said:

Been through the census for Moresk Road Truro but can't find anything similar. It seems a fairly working class community with a number of Jewish names

Not sure about 'Lannigan'  there is definitely a dotted 'i'. "L****gais(?)

I did the same for both 1901 and 1911 census. Nothing appears to fit.

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

I did the same for both 1901 and 1911 census. Nothing appears to fit.

I also looked at the newspapers - in 1900 Moresk House was advertised to rent There is also a 'Benson House' in Moresk Road Grade II listed (apparently now flats) I couldn't fins that either seems rather grand on the address i.e. no house number just 'Moresk', Moresk Road.

• Admin
20 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Many thanks for digging Bob.

My pleasure! He seems to fit the bill better than  Edward Bevan Reeves below, as on his service medal awards he is listed as a driver, so the spurs and bandolier fit that. Did you find the postcard local to where you live?

Name: Edward Bevan Reeves
Birth Date: abt 1879
Marriage Date: 12 May 1903
Marriage Place: Newtown
Document Year: 1916
Residence Place: Jubilee House, Kinnerley Oswestry
Regimental Number: 362441
Regiment Name: Army Service Corps
Form Title: Short Service Attestation
Number of Images: 50

30 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:Did you find the postcard local to where you live?

An ebob purchase, they are attached to a page from a photograph album. The seller is from Hampshire, but has postcards from across the Uk. 
 I’ve previously bought cards featuring the same man from different sellers. 

• Admin
21 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

An ebob purchase, they are attached to a page from a photograph album. The seller is from Hampshire, but has postcards from across the Uk. 
 I’ve previously bought cards featuring the same man from different sellers. 

My thought was if the soldier in question was living in Salop, that would fit to your locality, ish.  Regards, Bob.

• Admin
On 02/06/2022 at 22:54, GWF1967 said:

J.F. Mackenzie? - Main Detail Camp,  Dar es Salaam,  Dec 1918" 

Cap badge id, corrections and observations welcome. 

Back to J F Mackenzie. I found 6 MICs, only one fits the bill as the rest are NCOs or KIA. Spr 87399 James F Mackenzie RE. Certainly a guess but it might be the man? I can find nothing more about him. Other experts may come up with more?

4 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

Back to J F Mackenzie. I found 6 MICs, only one fits the bill as the rest are NCOs or KIA. Spr 87399 James F Mackenzie RE. Certainly a guess but it might be the man? I can find nothing more about him. Other experts may come up with more?

Hi Bob. Found this on Fold3 which I hope may help. Gunner 87.

A9B16778-4284-4146-8582-4DDB321AC824.jpeg

Edited by Gunner 87