Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

18 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

If you’re going to continue collecting postcards from WW1, then I recommend that you invest in a thread counter...

I have several magnifying devices, but don't often have the need to examine cards that closely - and then sometimes to make out lettering on signs.

Back in 2000, I bought my first PC of very modest screen size. Then I visited Mike Young, author of Army Service Corps 1902-18,  who had a much larger screen (80 x 40cm ???), on which he displayed some of his cards, and I was most impressed with the detail that it displayed. My present screen is 50 x 28cm. When a PC is on it, and using the zoom function, I can "get in" as close as is feasible before the definition goes.

Mike: Have you tried collectors' fairs, especially those dedicated to postcards? (I've just glanced at a fair diary and can't see any in the Northants area.)  And there's always eBay (Search for "British military uniforms postcards"), though I guess that you might not like the prices (some of which are very optimistic). But you can always click on the photo, "open image in new tab" and then magnify.

1 hour ago, MikeyH said:

Thanks Frogsmile,

I normally use a loupe, though currently missing in action.  I see many WW1 postcards at various antique events.  Average pricing from £3 upwards, sometimes as much as £8 or £10.  Too much for me I am afraid.  But always on the lookout out for the odd bargain!

Mike.

Loupes are useful I agree, but having tried both I do have a preference for the thread counter, although perhaps not worthwhile if you’re not actively collecting.

Edited by FROGSMILE

10 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

I have several magnifying devices, but don't often have the need to examine cards that closely - and then sometimes to make out lettering on signs.

Back in 2000, I bought my first PC of very modest screen size. Then I visited Mike Young, author of Army Service Corps 1902-18,  who had a much larger screen (80 x 40cm ???), on which he displayed some of his cards, and I was most impressed with the detail that it displayed. My present screen is 50 x 28cm. When a PC is on it, and using the zoom function, I can "get in" as close as is feasible before the definition goes.

Mike: Have you tried collectors' fairs, especially those dedicated to postcards? (I've just glanced at a fair diary and can't see any in the Northants area.)  And there's always eBay (Search for "British military uniforms postcards"), though I guess that you might not like the prices (some of which are very optimistic). But you can always click on the photo, "open image in new tab" and then magnify.

Computers are good, especially when looking at an electronic copy of an original image, but they’re usually only as good as the image itself is, especially if looking at a copy of the original.  Hence the recommendation so often mentioned of scanning a real photo on a high dpi before uploading it.  When I recommended the linen counter I was of course referring to its use with the original postcard.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Stuffing palliasses,  "6th Royal Welsh Fusiliers, Aberystwyth. 1910"    

"E. Coy. R.W.F.  Dolgelly,18th June. 1910"1154259738_RWF.6thBatt.jpg.cf6eac812509f9c658ddcb645251db1f.jpg

1252881542_R.W.F_7thT.F.(2).jpg.5e757219ed890e92f6ec17db07f75c90.jpg

• Admin
12 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

"E. Coy. R.W.F.  Dolgelly,18th June. 1910"

The buildings and bridge are still there. Presumably the Officers are wearing black arm bands to mourn the Death of King Edward VII, who died 6th May 1910. cbk?cb_client=maps_sv.tactile&authuser=0&hl=en&gl=ie&output=thumbnail&thumb=2&w=345&h=170&pitch=-0.6974235134719464&ll=52.74443075949494%2C-3.885781677147579&panoid=vUwOWIinKMhcufNE1TD2WQ&yaw=113.02671679182572

2 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Presumably the Officers are wearing black arm bands to mourn the Death of King Edward VII, who died 6th May 1910. 

I believe they wore them right up to the coronation. I have a PC of Hampshire officers wearing the same, dated June 1911 which Frogsmile had given the explanation.

52 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

The buildings and bridge are still there. Presumably the Officers are wearing black arm bands to mourn the Death of King Edward VII, who died 6th May 1910. cbk?cb_client=maps_sv.tactile&authuser=0&hl=en&gl=ie&output=thumbnail&thumb=2&w=345&h=170&pitch=-0.6974235134719464&ll=52.74443075949494%2C-3.885781677147579&panoid=vUwOWIinKMhcufNE1TD2WQ&yaw=113.02671679182572

Thanks Bob, 

I don’t get up to Dolgellau much but had planned on checking out the location.  
 I’m working on the old T.F camping ground at Lovesgrove, Bow Street on Monday; some of the men pictured above would have been at camp there when war was declared. 

49 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

I believe they wore them right up to the coronation. I have a PC of Hampshire officers wearing the same, dated June 1911 which Frogsmile had given the explanation.

Thanks Alan. 

• Admin
15 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Thanks Bob, 

I don’t get up to Dolgellau much but had planned on checking out the location.  
 I’m working on the old T.F camping ground at Lovesgrove, Bow Street on Monday; some of the men pictured above would have been at camp there when war was declared. 

Wishing you a happy trip with fine weather GWF1967! Lovesgrove, Bow Street being Aberystwyth I am thinking, were the men are filling palliasses. There is a sign on the left of the picture, I can't quite make it out, just above the straw pile between the top of the tent and the tree.

11 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Wishing you a happy trip with fine weather GWF1967! Lovesgrove, Bow Street being Aberystwyth I am thinking, were the men are filling palliasses. There is a sign on the left of the picture, I can't quite make it out, just above the straw pile between the top of the tent and the tree.

It could be Bow St. but I believe there were also campgrounds to the south of the town. Unfortunately the original image isn’t great quality. 

Edit. Campgrounds were also at Plascrug, just outside Aberystwyth and Llanfarian 

Edited by GWF1967

14 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Stuffing palliasses,  "6th Royal Welsh Fusiliers, Aberystwyth. 1910"    

"E. Coy. R.W.F.  Dolgelly,18th June. 1910"1154259738_RWF.6thBatt.jpg.cf6eac812509f9c658ddcb645251db1f.jpg

Might a pal educate a navy guy pls - what are palliasses?  

Thanks! Bryan

Edited by RNCVR

• Admin
9 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Might a pal educate a navy guy pls - what are palliasses?  

Thanks! Bryan

Large bags made from canvas or other sack cloth type material stuffed with straw and used for sleeping on.

Edited by Bob Davies

Thanks Bob, I thought it might be something along that line! So the soldier's bedding went on top of the palliasse?

28 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Thanks Bob, I thought it might be something along that line! So the soldier's bedding went on top of the palliasse?

The palliasse was in effect the mattress Bryan.  When first filled it’s like a well stuffed tubular sausage (it was important to fill them to absolute capacity), but after thumping them down and laying on them they packed down into a biscuit.  They became surprisingly warm and comfortable from body heat.  Stout cotton sheets and thick woollen blankets were then placed on top to form the bed made down.  During the day it was usually stripped, the sheets and blankets folded into a sandwich and placed on top of the bed, which folded in half to create a gangway down the centre of the barrack room.  Just like in the old Navy gun rooms the men then ate at the central bench table, but on trestle seating.  The B&W picture below shows slightly later period bedding when the palliasse was replaced by a folding mattress permanently stuffed with horsehair.  The colour photo shows a very poorly filled palliasse.

2E5A39BD-8D30-4455-96E1-57133F2C56D1.jpeg

BEBDB890-1573-4FCF-AA22-1A3263B605A8.jpeg

7D763296-86A3-4B1B-98F1-944B3C9C50FC.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
On 27/08/2022 at 13:49, RNCVR said:

Exactly that Bryan. Thanks @FROGSMILEfor your better explanation. So the soldiers out on their annual camp or wherever, can easily transport the empty 'Palliasses' as they fold up quite compact. Any dry material can be used to fill them but straw or hay being the most available the latter being an animal food stuff so less available than straw. Easily emptied after camp is packed up and easy to wash. An added bonus is that bugs and lice will only be in there with the filling so they too are gotten rid of easily. Ok yes the seams in the canvas will need cleaning out but a lot easier than de lousing a permanently filled mattress. I first became aware of them reading 'The Colditz Story' (published 1958) By Major Pat Reid MBE MC back in the 1970s. A prisoner escaped hidden in one. With a bit more digging @RNCVR dry sea grass, sawdust and wood shavings were also used to fill the 'palliasse' . They are mentioned well before and after WW1 and very common in use during WW1 by the Germans, French, Canadians and British. I would say everyone was using them and no doubt filled or rather stuffed with anything that was dry and sort of comfortable.

Edited by Bob Davies

Thanks for those explanation mates,  the photos are also very nice Froggie!

Hammocks did not require the palliases tho (the bugs/problem occurred to me also), perhaps the RN guys had it easier!

5 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Thanks for those explanation mates,  the photos are also very nice Froggie!

Hammocks did not require the palliases tho (the bugs/problem occurred to me also), perhaps the RN guys had it easier!

I think that anything ratings avoided in palliasse filling, they more than made up for with holystoning decks, painting everything that didn’t move, and all hands to stations for coaling! 

Edited by FROGSMILE

33 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I think that anything ratings avoided in palliasse filling, they more than made up for with holystoning decks, painting everything that didn’t move, and all hands to stations for coaling! 

Victorian navy gospel ----  If it dont move PAINT IT!!!!

3 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Territorial Signaller. 

T.F. Signals (2).jpg

Signals Sergeant with 8-years attendance at annual training camp.

10 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Signals Sergeant with 8-years attendance at annual training camp.

Thanks as always.

I've cleaned up the image as much as possible but the shoulder title is too blurred to identify.

Rifle Brigade.

Rifle Brig.jpg

9 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Thanks as always.

I've cleaned up the image as much as possible but the shoulder title is too blurred to identify.

Rifle Brigade.

Rifle Brig.jpg

Looks like a Rifles unit from the cap badge, maybe Rifle Brigade, or one of the many TF units that emulated their badge.  Perhaps one of London Regiment battalions, or Leeds Rifles or Robin Hood Rifles.  Knowing details of the location would’ve helped narrow things down.

Sorry, just saw your Rifle Brigade caption!  Was the photo captioned definitively, or was it the seller’s annotation?

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Sorry, just saw your Rifle Brigade caption!  Was the photo captioned definitively, or was it the seller’s annotation?

My best guess. I have two copies of the same photograph, one mounted on board; neither are clear. 

3 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

My best guess. I have two copies of the same photograph, one mounted on board; neither are clear. 

Rifle Brigade certainly possible, quite a number of garrison type units with high numbers went out East.  

• Admin
3 hours ago, GWF1967 said:
3 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

It could be Bow St. but I believe there were also campgrounds to the south of the town. Unfortunately the original image isn’t great quality. 

Edit. Campgrounds were also at Plascrug, just outside Aberystwyth and Llanfarian 

Thanks GWF1967, As far as I can work out the sign says RESTAURANT

HYDRANT (water connection point) I think.