Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

1 hour ago, themonsstar said:

Don't worry Jerry I'm always putting my foot in it but it's good fun. With an extremely knowledgeable crowd.

Around 1903-4 he is wearing the QSA.

IMG_20200618_194358990.jpg

It could also be the Queens Mediterranean Medal.  Pete.

15 minutes ago, themonsstar said:

Cheers Peter I forget some guarding Boer PoWs

The troops guarding Boer PoWs on Saint Helena got the QSAM without clasp. The Militia troops who took over garrison duties from the Regulars in Gibralta, Malta and Egypt got the QMM. Your man could be either of them.  Pete.

RE I think with rain cover, great coat and stick

mixed lot inc buffs scan f RE with cap cover.jpg

mixed lot inc buffs scan f RE with cap cover cropped.jpg

Two from the SWB and one from an arty unit I think, all brothers perhaps

mixed lot inc swb group with arty guy.jpg

1 hour ago, Jerry B said:

Two from the SWB and one from an arty unit I think, all brothers perhaps

Super photo Jerry.  I wonder how many of them survived.

15 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Super photo Jerry.  I wonder how many of them survived.

thanks, one of those unknowables not named on the reverse

1 minute ago, Jerry B said:

thanks, one of those unknowables not named on the reverse

What a pity, I agree that they look like brothers.

These are some postcards I have from old family collection I have found since my parents died. Sadly,  they never seemed to write on the back. I just know they are important relatives, some even in embroidered frames. 

DSC_0298.JPG

_20181110_125815.JPG

_20181110_124401.JPG

Edited by forester
Wording

7 hours ago, themonsstar said:

Mix group.

IMG_20200605_122035635.jpg

IMG_20200605_122020121.jpg

IMG_20200605_115917139.jpg

IMG_20200605_122351457.jpg

Those are a superbly eclectic mix.  
The first is a TF grouping (3-row titles), presumably of 3rd Line men, given their age and appearance.

Second is a group of I think home service men, including three veterans of the Royal  Munster Fusiliers (two with LS&GC) seated.

Third is a cracking shot of two Boy Bandsmen, I think of the Bedfordshire Regiment, but the detail isn’t clear so I’m not sure.

Fourth is a Royal Engineer and either, Labour Corps, or Manchester Regiment.

Edited by FROGSMILE

The old fusilier with white walrus 'tash has no campaign  medals despite long service.

The group photo may be c. 1914, thus he has missed China, Boer War, NW Frontier and several other minor scuffles, mostly in Africa.

I wonder how unusual that was, in the days when the map was coloured red?

45 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

The old fusilier with white walrus 'tash has no campaign  medals despite long service.

The group photo may be c. 1914, thus he has missed China, Boer War, NW Frontier and several other minor scuffles, mostly in Africa.

I wonder how unusual that was, in the days when the map was coloured red?

Militia man after regular colour service (given his apparent age), RMF had 3-battalions worth, but no TF.  The militia tradition was strong there and often ran in families.  2nd Bn didn’t arrive in SA from India until 1901, 1st Battalion took their place in 1902.  I suspect that he stayed in India during the transition.  India was relatively quiet in the period before WW1 before kicking off in Afghanistan again in 1919.  Given that he apparently has regular LS&GC, he’s just managed to serve his 22 in the lead up to WW1 without any operational engagement.  There were a few regiments that achieved similar (Bedfords teased as ‘the Peacemakers’).  21st Lancers similar apart from Omdurman, which is why they made such a fuss about it.  The pure luck of circumstance.

Edited by FROGSMILE

6 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

Of course. Thank you.

Incidentally, looking on a large screen I’ve just noticed that he does have one other medal ribbon, probably the KSA (dark hues) but I’m not positive.

Well, blow me down! You are right! I do the old boy an injustice. I agree that he has another ribbon, but not at all sure of the campaign. Without the above discussion I would have gone for India.

Some crackers there.

Post #8017.

RAMC TF.

RFA/RHA TF with lady wearing a Sphinx sweetheart brooch (this might relate to 11 Sphinx Battery, or F Sphinx Battery RHA).

RA Bombardier (Metal Smith) with lady.

RFA TF Corporal (Gun Layer).

Post #8018

RGA TF Gunner walking out dress pre-war.

RFA TF group in walking out dress pre-war, note the striped 'girdles'.

MGC Private.

ASC mixed group with a Frenchman, who might be Red Cross, or perhaps working as some kind of informal interpreter.  I don't think he's French Army.

Edited by FROGSMILE

46 minutes ago, themonsstar said:

This is the back of the card with the Belgian Veteran.

Very interesting.  I'm intrigued by the Belgian's cap badge, it doesn't seem military, especially when you consider that Belgium was a Monarchy.  His name seems to be Monsieur Montpelier.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Great mix of photos, thank you for sharing👍🏻

Chris

On 20/06/2020 at 15:53, forester said:

These are some postcards I have from old family collection I have found since my parents died. Sadly,  they never seemed to write on the back. I just know they are important relatives.

Don't give up or get downhearted Forester!  I have a family album which originally came from my Great Grandmother and like yours, contained various postcard/photos of distant relatives and friends of the family which as usual were un-named.  Through a lot of painstaking hard work on sites like Ancestry etc and with help from this forum, my partner and I have managed to positively identify at least four of them, as well as discovering others that we never knew about.

I really like the RM frocks, with the unusual, minimalist ,but sensible, pockets. Who cares about symmetry?How many pockets does a man need, assume that he is right-handed, keep the cost down and away we go.