Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Great thread. I have some Good quality soldier postcards From WWI, if anyone is interested in seeing them.

1) William Leivers Notts and Derby and later MGC (as in photo). Reverse is blank

E3FC9293-47EE-4D33-96CD-C81FA2510879.jpeg.65025913f20f4f5f7df5146e1194b66a.jpeg

2) Harold Leivers Northumberland Fusiliers. KIA 07/07/1916 at Quadrangle Trench, Somme. Reverse is blank
1F477D6C-378F-4CD3-9F6A-E70AFBF5E073.jpeg.8c975716fa1130d8223cf9a953fe9353.jpeg

3) John James Ware RMLI. Reverse is blank but the bottom says “from your loving grandson John”

C4F3F2E0-7346-4844-9A72-7C935726F0B0.jpeg.41c92dabe0da2dd2ca7f98c8bdab1022.jpeg

4) a French artilleryman I obtained (along with medals and dog tags etc). Reverse shows a name and address in French. 

D2C94027-D4F1-4198-91B5-23CAE25005F5.jpeg.72def98508b784e42cdf270b8c24900d.jpeg

Edited by Graham Topham

On 09/06/2020 at 22:18, Graham Topham said:

Great thread. I have some Good quality  soldier postcards From WWI, if anyone is interested in seeing them.

Yes please Graham, if you can scan them at 600dpi to show up the fine details better still.

Concert Party at an unknown hospital. - "The Shrapnel Pierrott Troupe" 

The shrapnel Pierrott Troupe (2).jpg

Very interesting to see the plainly ‘issued’ dressing gowns in heavy wool.  I had read about these before, but never seen them until now.  Thank you for posting.

On 11/06/2020 at 12:49, FROGSMILE said:

Very interesting to see the plainly ‘issued’ dressing gowns in heavy wool.  I had read about these before, but never seen them until now.  Thank you for posting.

Thank you for the information. 

BUFFS over 1 cloth title

buffs scan watermarked.jpg

buffs scan watermarked cropped 2.jpg

5 minutes ago, Jerry B said:

BUFFS over 1 cloth title

Thanks for posting Jerry.  Interesting to see the shoulder titles, I’m doing a bit of research on them just now so it’s very timely.

Edited by FROGSMILE

royal artillery, mounted with sword, RHA?

z mounted man pc watermark.png

z mounted man pc cropped watermark.png

11 minutes ago, Jerry B said:

royal artillery, mounted with sword, RHA?

Yes, I think so, but it’s a pre-1908 sword, and multiple row shoulder title, so I think he’s TF.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Evan Andrew 4302, Pembroke yeomanry & later Welsh regiment, the group shot is next to the bridge over the towy at Llandeilo ( it is to his sister in Towyn).

4302 Private Evan Andrew Pembroke Yeomanry card #1 front.jpg

4302 Private Evan Andrew Pembroke Yeomanry card #2 cropped llandeilo bridge watermarked.jpg

4 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes, I think so, but it’s a pre-1908 sword, and multiple row shoulder title, so I think he’s TF.

FROGSMILE,

I was not sure, obviously RA in some form, TF makes sense

Edited by Jerry B

I love the troop watering with the bridge as backdrop, it’s an image really evocative  of its time.

Nice photos Jerry!

Does the bridge still exists today?

16 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Think so: Google Maps

sJ

9 hours ago, RNCVR said:

Nice photos Jerry!

Love these photos!

Yes the bridge is still there.

Chris

250px-Pont_Llandeilo_-_geograph.org.uk_-_472194.jpg

10 hours ago, RNCVR said:

Nice photos Jerry!

Yes, not too far from me which is why I recognised it

llandeilo bridge.JPG

On 09/06/2020 at 22:18, Graham Topham said:

Great thread. I have some Good quality soldier postcards From WWI, if anyone is interested in seeing them.

1) William Leivers Notts and Derby and later MGC (as in photo). Reverse is blank

E3FC9293-47EE-4D33-96CD-C81FA2510879.jpeg.65025913f20f4f5f7df5146e1194b66a.jpeg

2) Harold Leivers Northumberland Fusiliers. KIA 07/07/1916 at Quadrangle Trench, Somme. Reverse is blank
1F477D6C-378F-4CD3-9F6A-E70AFBF5E073.jpeg.8c975716fa1130d8223cf9a953fe9353.jpeg

3) John James Ware RMLI. Reverse is blank but the bottom says “from your loving grandson John”

C4F3F2E0-7346-4844-9A72-7C935726F0B0.jpeg.41c92dabe0da2dd2ca7f98c8bdab1022.jpeg

4) a French artilleryman I obtained (along with medals and dog tags etc). Reverse shows a name and address in French. 

D2C94027-D4F1-4198-91B5-23CAE25005F5.jpeg.72def98508b784e42cdf270b8c24900d.jpeg

Does anyone recognise the medal ribbon worn by William Leivers?. It's got me stumped.    Pete.

5 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Does anyone recognise the medal ribbon worn by William Leivers?. It's got me stumped.    Pete.

Hi Pete,

My cousin and I have been unable to find William’s service papers or his medals (he is our great grandad) so I cannot say for sure. Whatever he had from the war is thought to have been thrown out by his wife after he died.

However he did appear to be in the Notts and Derby regiment before transferring to the MGC circa 1917 (it is thought he may have been stationed in Ireland at first and then transferred to the MGC and went to the Western front) and my cousin thinks he was a regular soldier before the war. I don’t know if those clues may help. 

16 minutes ago, Graham Topham said:

Hi Pete,

My cousin and I have been unable to find William’s service papers or his medals (he is our great grandad) so I cannot say for sure. Whatever he had from the war is thought to have been thrown out by his wife after he died.

However he did appear to be in the Notts and Derby regiment before transferring to the MGC circa 1917 (it is thought he may have been stationed in Ireland at first and then transferred to the MGC and went to the Western front) and my cousin thinks he was a regular soldier before the war. I don’t know if those clues may help. 

Thanks Graham. I don't recognise the ribbon as being for any medal for gallantry, campaign service, long service, civilian service or anything else. I do enjoy a good mystery though.    Pete.

William Leivers ---  Appears to be the British War medal.

Thanks for posting.

Edited by RNCVR

Thanks for posting the photos of the bridge,

Chris & Jerry, it appears to have survived the ravages of time very nicely.

Best wishes,

Bryan

1 hour ago, RNCVR said:

William Leivers ---  Appears to be the British War medal.

Thanks for posting.

I think you’re right Bryan.  Its the orthochromatic effect again on the colour rendition.  He wasn’t entitled to a star, the war medal was issued first and then the victory medal a bit later. It suggests the photo was taken after the war during the immediate occupation period.

He has the seasoned look of a regular to my eyes and might well have pre-war service, although that would call into question why he did not go to F&F early on and qualify for the 1914 Star and clasp.  1st Battalion was initially in India and did not arrive at Havre until 5 Nov 1914.  2nd Battalion was out since 11 Sep 1914.

NB.  2/6th (Territorial Force) Battalion were sent to Ireland (Dublin) on 26 April 1916 and was involved in the Easter Rising.  That might account for the family folklore.  It would also explain the perception of earlier service if he’d been a pre-war auxiliary soldier with the TF.

E7189120-4548-4C58-97B1-859A3A1BA24B.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

11 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I think you’re right Bryan.  Its the orthochromatic effect again on the colour rendition.  He wasn’t entitled to a star, the war medal was issued first and then the victory medal a bit later.

Sure looks like a BWM.

Not relevant to this topic but RCN & RNCVR & likely also CEF (from what I have seen in their files) rec'd their BWM & VM together in early 1920's.

Best....Bryan

1 minute ago, RNCVR said:

Sure looks like a BWM.

Not relevant to this topic but RCN & RNCVR & likely also CEF (from what I have seen in their files) rec'd their BWM & VM together in early 1920's.

Best....Bryan

I understand that both medals were not always received together.  It would be odd for him to put just one up if he’d received both, so I think it depended upon individual circumstances.

What is the badge above his Cpl chevrons pls?

2 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I understand that both medals were not always received together.  It would be odd for him to put just one up if he’d received both, so I think it depended upon individual circumstances.

His MIC should reveal if he was entitled to both medals.

8 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

What is the badge above his Cpl chevrons pls?

Divisional Formation Sign (battle insignia).  3rd Division.

C6C60685-6B8D-4C70-88B6-6DA6F16BAE4F.jpeg

A22E5649-1356-44DC-BA63-AAF368E55185.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE