Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

18 hours ago, RNCVR said:

Agree Froggie, dont you wish they could talk!!!!

Vesta Tilley a new one to me, thanks for the photos!

Best & stay safe all,

Bryan

She dressed as a naval rating and policeman too.  Her speciality was to be a male impersonator, but singing popular music hall songs.

18 hours ago, RNCVR said:

Billy Ruffian (much earlier ship than Horatio mentions) took Napoleon into Exile after Waterloo.

HMS Bellerophon?  She anchored off the port where I am currently living and Napoleon was allowed to exercise on the deck while gawped at by local pleasure boats and ferries.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

She dressed as a sailor and policeman too.  Her speciality was to be a male impersonator, but singing popular music hall songs.

And here she is

scan0002.jpg.267fa98919fd1184c14e72ce4fa9b8f1.jpg

WOW! That is one good looking gal Froggie!  & the cut & fit of that OSD is superb!

She must have been a sensation in her time!  Would love to have heard her sing!

Got a photo of her in an RN uniform by any chance?

Will have to pullout mine & post it. I know i have at least one perhaps 2..... 

Best...Bryan

17 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

HMS Bellerophon?  She anchored off the port where I am currently living and Napoleon was allowed to exercise on the deck while gawped at by local pleasure boots and ferries.

There is a good drawing or painting of Napoleon on Billy Ruffian looking out to the harbour from the ship, somewhere, I have seen in past, but dont have a shot of it, will try to locate..... might have been in that location....

6 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

There is a good drawing or painting of Napoleon on Billy Ruffian looking out to the harbour from the ship, somewhere, I have seen in past, but dont have a shot of it, will try to locate..... might have been in that location....

I know the one, but I'm fairly sure it's meant to be outside Rochefort when he was first taken onboard.  Horatio2 will know.

9 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Got a photo of her in an RN uniform by any chance?

Here she is.  And in winter rig one of her less well known rivals, Miss Hetty King, who I think is much more of a looker.

Miss Vesta Tilley in Sailor Costume.jpg

Hetty King.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Napoleon on Board the Bellerophon, exhibited in 1880 by Sir William Quiller Orchardson. Orchardson depicts the morning of 23 July, as Napoleon watches the French shoreline recede. 

Napoleon_on_Board_the_Bellerophon_-_Sir_William_Quiller_Orchardson.jpg

Scene in Plymouth Sound in August 1815, an 1817 painting by John James Chalon. Bellerophon is at the centre of the picture, surrounded by crowds of people in small boats who have come to see Napoleon.

HMS_Bellerophon_and_Napoleon.jpg

Edited by RNCVR

3 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

The second one is where I live.

Edited by FROGSMILE

5 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I know the one, but I'm fairly sure it's meant to be outside Rochefort when he was first taken onboard.  Horatio2 will know.

Here she is.

Miss Vesta Tilley in Sailor Costume.jpg

She looks better in the OSD Froggie!!!   

yes, you are likely correct with the Napoleon painting - he is looking towards Rochfort...

2 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

The second one is where I live.

Bingo, what a coincidence!!!  Ain't life full of them!!!

Jeeeezz ....  we get off topic quickly, but very interesting just the same....

Best...Bry

OK I got it incorrect - HMS Northumberland took Napoleon into exile -- from Wiki ....

Bellerophon spent two weeks in Plymouth harbour while the authorities came to a decision about what to do with Napoleon. On 31 July they communicated their decision to the former emperor. Napoleon was to be exiled to the remote island of Saint Helena. He would be allowed to take three officers, his surgeon, and twelve servants.[125] Napoleon, who had hoped to be allowed to settle quietly in Britain, was bitterly disappointed by the news.[125][126] Bellerophon was not to take him into exile. The Admiralty was concerned that the ageing ship was unsuitable for the long voyage to the South Atlantic, and the 74-gun HMS Northumberland was selected for the task.[127] On 4 August, Lord Keith ordered Bellerophon to go to sea and await the arrival of HMS Northumberland. On 7 August Napoleon thanked Maitland and his crew for their kindness and hospitality, and left Bellerophon where he had spent over three weeks without ever landing in England.[128] He boarded Northumberland, which then sailed for Saint Helena.

Edited by RNCVR

45 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Billy Ruffian (much earlier ship than Horatio mentions) took Napoleon into Exile after Waterloo.

But only as far as Plymouth. BILLY RUFFIAN was considered to be in too poor a state to go to the South Atlantic so 'Boney' was transferred to HMS NOTHUMBERLAND for the trip to St Helena.

Oops!¬ Beaten to the draw.

Edited by horatio2

On 03/05/2020 at 11:58, FROGSMILE said:

That’s superb Toby, what a great find. .

Unfortunately it’s not a good quality photo but it serves to illustrate.  It’s provenance is I think 2nd RWF in India the decade pre-WW1.

2A819E53-3EF6-4ADC-9FD4-8AC69F4CA690.jpeg

Wonderfully rare example thank you! 

8 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

Wonderfully rare example thank you! 

Yes, I especially appreciated seeing the lacing on collar and cuffs.  By that time, post 1902, the Colour Sergeants were starting to be dressed with gold lace in a way that they hadn't before, but I've not yet been able to find the order decreeing this.  They had previously been graded as with equivalence to the lowest grade of battalion staff, but without the lace to reflect it.  Post 1902 was quite a big time of changes.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Couple more PC's of girls dressed in sailor uniforms - no idea if girlfriends of sailors or actresses --

girls 003.JPG

She is LS with 1 GCB, Stoker1, with War Service chevrons & HMS Linnet cap ribbon. Also ribbon for possibly NGS medal of 1908-14.

girls 002.JPG

She is wearing cap ribbon for HMS Birmingham, & possibly a Woodbine!

Necklace does not belong tho, so possibly she is an actress dressing a part.

girls 006.JPG

Edited by RNCVR

Great pictures, the uppermost one seems more likely to be a lady friend I think.

My thoughts also Froggie!

13 hours ago, lucycutler said:

Well spotted, I think you've got him.  He's the Grandfather of an Australian cousin who sent us the pictures without saying which one was Arthur.  We did ask her, but she hasn't come back yet to tell us.  I think you've beaten her to it!

I’m glad to be of help I had a job once identifying people, shapes of ears, faces etc so it comes in useful!!

10 hours ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

I’m glad to be of help I had a job once identifying people, shapes of ears, faces etc so it comes in useful!!

Very interesting about your job Alison,  I always look at the ears as well, seems to be one of the few features that don't change much with age.

News Flash!  Just heard back from the Aussie cousin this morning with a (very) garbled description of which man she thinks it is.  I've ringed the one I think she means on the photo and am sending it back to her to see if indeed that is the one she means!  I've also asked if she has a photo of him in later life to help 'back identify' him, as she doesn't have any other war time ones.

I'll wait for her reply before I show her your man.  :)

1381249536_RNASgroupwithArthurChesherperhaps.jpg.7c7da1c7ae43edf18ab316387db13278.jpg

18 hours ago, horatio2 said:

I would not like to meet the one on the left on a dark night.

D'you mind!  That might be one of my Great Aunts you're talking about  :D

17 hours ago, RNCVR said:

Will have to pullout mine & post it. I know i have at least one perhaps 2..... 

Best...Bryan

Cracking pictures Bryan  :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, lucycutler said:

Very interesting about your job Alison,  I always look at the ears as well, seems to be one of the few features that don't change much with age.

News Flash!  Just heard back from the Aussie cousin this morning with a (very) garbled description of which man she thinks it is.  I've ringed the one I think she means on the photo and am sending it back to her to see if indeed that is the one she means!  I've also asked if she has a photo of him in later life to help 'back identify' him, as she doesn't have any other war time ones.

I'll wait for her reply before I show her your man.  :)

1381249536_RNASgroupwithArthurChesherperhaps.jpg.7c7da1c7ae43edf18ab316387db13278.jpg

Yes a good possibility it’s that man - I went on the width of the end of his nose and thought the front man similar.  If you can make the photos closer and larger it may help if us hard to tell but let’s hope she can identify him 

9 hours ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

Yes a good possibility it’s that man - I went on the width of the end of his nose and thought the front man similar.  If you can make the photos closer and larger it may help if us hard to tell but let’s hope she can identify him 

Hi Alison,

Well it seems that we were both wrong!  Heard back from the cousin in Oz (who sent us the scan in the first place) this morning and she has ringed Arthur Chesher in yellow.  He was her Grandfather and gave her the original photo, so she should know (hopefully that is).

Best wishes and many thanks for your input.

Lucy

311160944_RNASgroupwithArthurChesherringed.jpg.aa92eea0e60f9a1e4524ca8207da9a86.jpg

Sent postcard, from Woolich to Norfolk of the Army Service Corps Challenge Cup, Tug of War Winners. A fine study of three officers and the ASC Staff Sergeant in his Tunic and Girdle Belt with QSA and KSA.

809332469_TugofWarASCCHallengeCupwinners1909.WoolichtoNorfolk.jpg.93fb51f60b0eafaf5917235a15cbf87b.jpg

Absolutely superb photo Toby, thank you for posting.  As well as the staff sergeant, it's also a great view of the officers' frock coat and white cap cover introduced formally by the dress regulations for commissioned officers of 1904.  In addition it shows how early versions of stable belts were used to hold up high waisted trousers when braces/suspenders were removed, in order to facilitate upper body movement.   

Edited by FROGSMILE

12 hours ago, lucycutler said:

Hi Alison,

Well it seems that we were both wrong!  Heard back from the cousin in Oz (who sent us the scan in the first place) this morning and she has ringed Arthur Chesher in yellow.  He was her Grandfather and gave her the original photo, so she should know (hopefully that is).

Best wishes and many thanks for your input.

Lucy

311160944_RNASgroupwithArthurChesherringed.jpg.aa92eea0e60f9a1e4524ca8207da9a86.jpg

Wow I dont think I even noticed him haha well it is obvious now he has been identified! Great stuff

An unsent postcard taken in India, dated 1913, of an unknown member of the Rifle Brigade. Really nice to see the 5 button, Rifles specific, "Frock, Serge, Foreign Pattern " with its distinctive trefoil cuff. The many many variants of the FS Frock are worth a book to themselves!

1806266207_RifleBrigadeFS.jpg.98be4f667e10d2c0e140c89a1d39042b.jpg