Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

34 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Just for your info, the buttons are not ‘blackened’, but a brown leather, utilitarian type that were issued for a while.

35B16072-3028-47DF-8C05-E338807FF52E.jpeg

Having viewed the postcard using the eyeball extenders, marks 1-4 pictured, I find you are, of course, correct.

Many thanks. 

I have a leather button, I was told it was for an overcoat;  would you think it is military, or more likely civilian?

383FFD22-C37B-409D-A820-3325C816835A.jpeg

AD24E79F-4E52-4E94-AB26-D9D9958D142F.jpeg

78715EA0-2F4D-46D6-BC1E-534978C61440.jpeg

25F1F816-29D3-4D63-9229-BF36B3866DFC.jpeg

Edited by GWF1967

It’s a button for a ‘British Warm’ officers overcoat, invariably made using a heavy, 32oz Melton cloth milled by Crombie of Scotland.

Edited by FROGSMILE

12 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Sorry no.  I guessed he’d been adopted.

The photographers “studio” has a very “somewhere in France” look to it.

The boot prints suggest he wasn’t the first band member to pose  

Thank you.  I’ll have to look out for further mention of him. 

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

It’s a button for a ‘British Warm’ officers overcoat, invariably made using a heavy, 32oz Melton cloth milled by Crombie of Scotland.

Many thanks.  Every day a school day!

More on the ASC buttons here (with another Gor' Blimey cap as a bonus!)  ...

Pics reproduced here for convenience ...

spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png    spacer.png

Full details and picture credits are in the linked post.

Mark

Edited by MBrockway
Pics added

Hi all

Can anyone help with this as someone posted this on another site I visit. The soldier  name is John Wynne Batten.

Cheers for any help

FB_IMG_1586326776019.jpg

2 hours ago, themonsstar said:

Hi all

Can anyone help with this as someone posted this on another site I visit. The soldier  name is John Wynne Batten.

Cheers for any help

He is a part-time citizen soldier of the 1st Volunteer Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers.  You can determine this from his shoulder strap title, which reads: 1 V grenade RWF in white embroidered worsted thread.  He’s wearing a 1902-1912 pattern full dress scarlet tunic with dark blue facings (collar and cuffs) with white piping trim.  In 1912 the piping moved from the edge of the collar to just its base.  He is holding a long Lee Enfield rifle with which he appears to have won the musketry trophy that stands on the table.  The depot and headquarters of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers was in Hightown Barracks, Wrexham.  Volunteer Battalion’s existed for all except the Irish regular infantry regiments and had formerly been part of the nationwide volunteer movement formed in 1859 to counter the possibility of invasion from a bellicose France. The movement comprised small independent corps usually of company size located in towns and city parishes across the country apart from in Ireland.  These companies were rather like gentlemen’s shooting and social clubs with a heavy emphasis on musketry skills.  They were eventually concentrated into battalion’s in 1880, became volunteer battalion’s of regular regiments in the late 1880s and then Territorial Force battalion’s of their regiments in 1908.  In the case of 1VB RWF, they became the 4th (Denbighshire) Territorial Force Battalion  RWF: https://rwfmuseum.org.uk/downloads/territorial-battalion-colours.pdf

Both, Volunteers and Territorials attended twice weekly training sessions in local drill halls, usually with one or two companies at each.  The drill halls of the 1st VB were located in various small towns throughout Denbighshire.

NB.  You can just about make out his field service cap laying on the table, which has a small, plain brass (‘universal’) grenade as it’s insignia.

9C90F247-0899-4623-A638-7667407DBAD0.jpeg

BAECFD38-1D07-4FDE-B681-A050D19A1EF2.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

"Us in Durban 1917" Unsent postcard. Struggling to work out if the Lance Corporal on left has Crossed rifles surmounted by crown, for Section Commander from best shooting Company of a Battalion, or the RA crossed guns (not cannon) of the 1st  prize battery. 

1749711577_Durban1917.jpg.71e054a9aa148c667061a4b8841c6201.jpg

1482441938_Durban19172.jpg.48f233dc9a195e4dcb0d49beeba692e5.jpg

Looks like crossed cannons with crown above to me Toby.

Yes I believe he is a lance-bombardier with two GCBs. A very dangerous sight, artillerymen with rifles. Slightly less dangerous than ratings.

Yes I think it shows a gunnery prize badge too (nowadays the badge of a Sgt Maj Instr of Gunnery (SMIG)).

8542E7A5-594C-4092-B849-FFD7B58677DD.jpeg

2 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

Yes I believe he is a lance-bombardier with two GCBs. A very dangerous sight, artillerymen with rifles. Slightly less dangerous than ratings.

Or maybe an Acting Bombardier.....

Edited by FROGSMILE

:whistle:

11 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes I think it shows a gunnery prize badge too (nowadays the badge of a Sgt Maj Instr of Gunnery (SMIG)).

8542E7A5-594C-4092-B849-FFD7B58677DD.jpeg

Or maybe an Acting Bombardier.....

Maybe ...... would one be permitted to keep GCBs though?

That is why I hesitated!

48 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

Maybe ...... would one be permitted to keep GCBs though?

That is why I hesitated!

I did muse on that.  As acting bombardier was not a substantive rank, and it was substantive JNCOs and above that were not permitted to wear GCB, then I think probably not.

40 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

The man on the far right also has a badge on his left sleeve.

Yes, looks like crossed gun barrels too, but I can’t make out if there’s a crown.

Any chance it might be a WO rank badge?

Reason I ask is -  he is the only soldier without a rifle or cartridge case(?), perhaps he is in charge of that detail.

"A Smart Convoy" .  494 Coy. M.T.  A.S.C.  Chipping Sodbury, Gloucestershire.

494. M.T. A (3).jpg

I don't think so.  Far too ordinary in clothing. I would expect senior man to be on the right flank if no bugler etc. Might be a quarter guard with a stick orderly included. Frogsmile can provide detail on procedure, my learning is book learning. What surprised and frightened me was RA with rifles!

30 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

...What surprised and frightened me was RA with rifles!

Well, RHA and RFA did carry two rifles on the gun limber so perhaps they had some clue how to use them...

3 hours ago, RNCVR said:

Any chance it might be a WO rank badge?

Reason I ask is -  he is the only soldier without a rifle or cartridge case(?), perhaps he is in charge of that detail.

As Muerrisch says it's a Quarter Guard with either a stick orderly, or duty runner.  It's unusual to not have a Trumpeter on parade, as they were responsible for sounding 'Alarm' and 'Call out the Guard'.

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

"A Smart Convoy" .  494 Coy. M.T.  A.S.C.  Chipping Sodbury, Gloucestershire.

494. M.T. A (3).jpg

Here is approximately the same view more recently.

Chip Sod ii.jpg

Chip Sod 1.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

As Muerrisch says it's a Quarter Guard with either a stick orderly, or duty runner.  It's unusual to not have a Trumpeter on parade, as they were responsible for sounding 'Alarm' and 'Call out the Guard'.

I

Interesting, now perhaps you might reveal to a naval person what a stick orderly might be pls?

PS --- I like the convoy photo....

Thanks,

Bryan

Edited by RNCVR

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Here is approximately the same view more recently.

Thanks Frogsmile. I was parked where  the first group of trucks are pictured, just last summer 

1 hour ago, RNCVR said:

PS --- I like the convoy photo....

Glad you liked it Bryan.