Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

trenchtrotter

Postcards

RNCVR

Been a bit slow here so will add a couple more.......

A photo of a rating wearing what I think may be a QSA(Queen's South Africa) medal

Seaman QSA medal.JPG

RNCVR

& a rating wearing a George V RN Long Service medal......

Rating LS medal.JPG

GWF1967
6 hours ago, RNCVR said:

Hi RNCVR,

Would you be able to help with information on these cards/photos please; Uniform/Rank details, medal ID etc. 

Roberts - Naval (2).jpg

Roberts - Naval. Back (2).jpg

Edited by GWF1967

GWF1967

These last three feature the same officer, (Roberts family. Bangor. N.Wales) L/rear #2, R/rear #3. 

Roberts - Naval. Back (3).jpg

Roberts - Naval (4).jpg

Roberts - Naval (5).jpg

Gardenerbill

Cracking photos GWF 1967, keep them coming, this is one of my favourite topics.

RNCVR

Hi RNCVR,

Would you be able to help with information on these cards/photos please; Uniform/Rank details, medal ID etc.

Hi GWF - 

Well firstoff he is a Merchant Naval Officer, other than that I am unable to tell you much of anything else as I dont specialize in MN so am not knowledgable on them.

His cap badge is MN but no idea what line he might belong to.

His medal ribbons are difficult - the first I really have no idea, I initially thought it might be QSA (Queen South Africa) but even how orthochromatic film skews the 'colours' the shade combination is not correct for that ribbon. 

Its not a 1WW British war medal, again, the shades are incorrect.

The next ribbon I think could be the China 1900 campaign as those shades would match that ribbon colours, ie- yellow, red centre, & yellow edges.

The round pin he is wearing on his lapel could be a war service badge, or perhaps a company pin, but unable to make out the detail.

The "translation" of the reverse of the card I read as -

9th Sept 1916

To Mrs Edward(e)s

Few are of the best but  (unable to make out this word) of those few are you

Joseph Chesley(unable to make out the couple letters that follow, it might be art of his signature & I have the Chesley part incorrect) 

The ship they are serving on appears to be a sailing ship to me. The photo could be earlier than1WW.

Sorry unable to assist you further, if any other mate has thoughts pls feel free to jump in,

Best...Bryan

Edited by RNCVR

GWF1967
5 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Hi RNCVR,

Hi GWF - 

Well firstoff he is a Merchant Naval Officer, other than that I am unable to tell you much of anything else as I dont specialize in MN so am not knowledgable on them.

His cap badge is MN but no idea what line he might belong to.

Sorry unable to assist you further, if any other mate has thoughts pls feel free to jump in,

Best...Bryan

Hi Bryan,

no apologies necessary, you had more of an idea than I did. Many  thanks for your time. Looking forward to more of your Naval cards. 

RNCVR

In the top photo of the Officer he looks much older than he is in the photos 2 & 3 below, could you have misID'd him in those photos, as I cannot really see any great resemblance to him in those photos.

Be interesting to know exactly what his medal ribbons are - Might you have a name for him  -  Roberts?

The 2nd photo - the Officer holding the shotgun - he too is deffo MN.

In photo 3(bottom photo) its interesting to note the several different cap badges the Officers are wearing.  I wonder if they could be part of a MN Training ship?

Thanks also for appreciating my many Naval RPPC's!  Appreciate that!  I have many more to show eventually.....

Bryan

Edited by RNCVR

GWF1967
1 hour ago, RNCVR said:

In the top photo of the Officer he looks much older than he is in the photos 2 & 3 below, could you have misID'd him in those photos, as I cannot really see any great resemblance to him in those photos.

Be interesting to know exactly what his medal ribbons are - Might you have a name for him  -  Roberts?

The 2nd photo - the Officer holding the shotgun - he too is deffo MN.

In photo 3(bottom photo) its interesting to note the several different cap badges the Officers are wearing.  I wonder if they could be part of a MN Training ship?

Thanks also for appreciating my many Naval RPPC's!  Appreciate that!  I have many more to show eventually.....

Bryan

Hi, 

the MN Officer in #7578 is a different chap to the man in the next three pictures

Shotgun man is a “Roberts”and features in all the photos in #7579.

The vessel may well be a training ship. The pictures come from a family album which features pictures from approx 1910-1920’s, so could be pre,or post war. 

Guy. 

Edited by GWF1967

Pat Atkins
1 hour ago, RNCVR said:

The "translation" of the reverse of the card I read as -

9th Sept 1916

To Mrs Edward(e)s

Few are of the best but  (unable to make out this word) of those few are you

Joseph Chesley(unable to make out the couple letters that follow, it might be art of his signature & I have the Chesley part incorrect) 

It's "amongst those few", I think.

RNCVR

Yes - amongst - that seems to be correct Pat.

Thanks,

Bryan

GWF1967
1 hour ago, Pat Atkins said:

It's "amongst those few", I think.

Thanks Pat. 

RNCVR

Agree Pat,  the 'of' comes out.

Thanks,

Bryan

Pat Atkins

Does the Forum have any MN experts? In researching a MN relative who was killed in WW2 I received a great deal of help from a very knowledgable and generous expert on WW2Talk - it's a relatively "exotic" area, but I suspect that if we can find one they'll really know their stuff.

PS I also enjoy the naval PCs, Bryan!

RNCVR

Agree & Thanks Pat, hopefully an MN expert will come along & assist. With the huge membership here must be someone on here that knows the MN!

Sure love to have his medal ribbons ID'd!

Edited by RNCVR

ARABIS
17 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

These last three feature the same officer, (Roberts family. Bangor. N.Wales) L/rear #2, R/rear #3. 

Roberts - Naval. Back (3).jpg

Roberts - Naval (4).jpg

Roberts - Naval (5).jpg

There is a mixture of cap badges in these photos but all are a bit too pixilated to identify. The man bottom right in the bottom photo looks to be a Senior Marconi Radio Officer to me. 

ARABIS.

marc019.jpg

MerchantOldSalt
3 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Hi, 

the MN Officer in #7578 is a different chap to the man in the next three pictures

Shotgun man is a “Roberts”and features in all the photos in #7579.

The vessel may well be a training ship. The pictures come from a family album which features pictures from approx 1910-1920’s, so could be pre,or post war. 

Guy. 

Guy

Unfortunately, at the time of WW1 and before, the British Merchant Shipping Companies were numerous and wore many differing company liveries with their own distinguishing rank lace and cap badges many of which have never been recorded.

In the second photo of #7579 the man with the blue cap is wearing the uniform of a Second Officer in the Mercantile Fleet Auxiliary which puts it during the War or soon after, this man also appears in the middle of the group in the third photo and the man with his arm round one of the other officers on the right is a Marconi Senior Wireless Operator.  Other than that without better pictures of the cap badges they could belong to any one of many different companies.

The ship is a cargo ship rather than a training ship, the presence of the MFA Officer would verify this, also the mast has a derrick platform on it.

If you could give full name and date of birth for Mr Roberts we might be able to find out more

Tony

RNCVR

Thanks for explanation Tony, much appreciated.

Marconi Officer cap badge...

Marconi.jpg

ARABIS
15 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Thanks for explanation Tony, much appreciated.

Marconi Officer cap badge...

Marconi.jpg

Was my contribution also useful?

ARABIS.

RNCVR

DEFINITELY Arabis, you ID'd the Marconi Officer & the MFA Officer!

Thanks, Bryan

MFA.jpg

Edited by RNCVR

RNCVR

Did you pick up on the MFA Officer holding the cat?

Sepoy

An interesting Canadian photograph, probably showing members of the 48th Highlanders.
(If I am wrong, please shout!)

Sepoy

8 003.jpg

ARABIS
3 hours ago, RNCVR said:

DEFINITELY Arabis, you ID'd the Marconi Officer & the MFA Officer!

Thanks, Bryan

MFA.jpg

It was MerchantOldSalt who mentioned the MFA, credit where it's due.

Thanks,

ARABIS. 

GWF1967
6 hours ago, MerchantOldSalt said:

If you could give full name and date of birth for Mr Roberts we might be able to find out more

Tony

My apologies, it took a long time to track the relevant thread. It turns out Hywyn positively identified him via an AVL, as Owen Hugh Longfield Jones, Merchant Seaman S.S Ventura Larrinaga. 

Scan_20180308 (6).jpg

I had failed to record these details in my notes.

He appears in several photographs in an album owned by "Emily Jones". The album features photographs of the wider family of Reverend Peter Jones-Roberts, who is the 'Padre' in Wyn Griffiths' book Up to Mametz.  (See second link)

If you can add any more information on O.H.L. Jones I would be grateful. 

5 hours ago, ARABIS said:

Was my contribution also useful?

ARABIS.

Yes.  Thank you.

Edited by GWF1967

MerchantOldSalt
17 hours ago, MerchantOldSalt said:

Tony

My apologies, it took a long time to track the relevant thread. It turns out Hywyn positively identified him via an AVL, as Owen Hugh Longfield Jones, Merchant Seaman S.S Ventura Larrinaga. 

Scan_20180308 (6).jpg

O H L Jones Born 22 Mar 1895 Anglesey, was a Marine Engineer, in this picture he is also wearing the uniform of the Mercantile Fleet Auxiliary.  The ship is the SS VENTURA DE LARRINAGA, belonging to Miguel de Larrinaga a Liverpool based Company trading to Montevideo and the River Plate. Built in 1908 by Russell & Co of Port Glasgow and finally scrapped in 1933, I suspect that is the ship in the other photos.  Many of the company's ships were taken up from trade as collier transports and general transports manned by the MFA.  Her name appears in several warship logbooks on naval history net.  I think the attached picture is during a period of lay up alongside another ship in the River Fal near Truro.

OHLJones was a 2nd Engineer by WW2.

Tony

Ventura de Larrinaga.jpg