Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

1 hour ago, MerchantOldSalt said:

O H L Jones Born 22 Mar 1895 Anglesey, was a Marine Engineer, in this picture he is also wearing the uniform of the Mercantile Fleet Auxiliary.  The ship is the SS VENTURA DE LARRINAGA, belonging to Miguel de Larrinaga a Liverpool based Company trading to Montevideo and the River Plate. Built in 1908 by Russell & Co of Port Glasgow and finally scrapped in 1933, I suspect that is the ship in the other photos.  Many of the company's ships were taken up from trade as collier transports and general transports manned by the MFA.  Her name appears in several warship logbooks on naval history net.  I think the attached picture is during a period of lay up alongside another ship in the River Fal near Truro.

OHLJones was a 2nd Engineer by WW2.

Tony

Ventura de Larrinaga.jpg

Superb. Many thanks indeed. 

Unsent postcard of Territorial Force RFA c1912.   Wonderful shot of the Officers mount and equipment. I am sure the Artillery Buffs will appreciate the glimpse of the BLC (Breech Loading Converted) 15 Pounder Gun. These Guns were upgraded 2nd Boer War era 15 Pdrs for the TF, cheaper than the 13/18 Pdrs.  They saw limited service in the Great War. 

662735954_TFRAOfficerwithBLC15-poundergun.jpg.94005e31e5e06fc2825136707f7841e5.jpg

That’s a super view of the 1905 caps silhouettes and the comparative aspects of chin straps down between officer and other ranks.  In this case it appears that the latter were of the same dimensions.

K.R.R.C.

"Hut 20, B Coy, D Lines, Wimbledon Camp.  Sept.12th 1917.    N.C.O's - Middle Row.   Sgt. Cooper. Hut 21.  Corp. Warrall.  Corp. Inglis (Scotchman).  L/c. Peckham.   L/c. Farrell. Hut 21. Notice the T.R Buttons the Lads are wearing"

KRRC Training Batt (4).jpg

KRRC Training Batt (5).jpg

I can see the buttons, and I understand the significance and circumstances, but what does "TR" stand for? Training Reserve?

49 minutes ago, Pat Atkins said:

I can see the buttons, and I understand the significance and circumstances, but what does "TR" stand for? Training Reserve?

Yes, Pat.  You might recall that the GS buttons were worn with a small, circular piece of scarlet felt behind.  Those with button badges are noticeably on the young side and are probably members of a ‘young soldier’ battalion.  Even their NCOs are far from being ‘old soldiers’.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks - yes, none of them look elderly! Even the moustaches of the Sergeant and L/Cpl Peckham (if it is he, on the left as we see it) don't detract from the overall youth of the group. Very interesting picture, and annotation.

2 hours ago, Pat Atkins said:

Thanks - yes, none of them look elderly! Even the moustaches of the Sergeant and L/Cpl Peckham (if it is he, on the left as we see it) don't detract from the overall youth of the group. Very interesting picture, and annotation.

The Wimbledon training camp area was compulsorily acquired in 1914, but not occupied until 1916.  There are some interesting photos here: https://photoarchive.merton.gov.uk/collections/war/first-world-war/army-camps

One of 19/, 22/ or 23/KRRC after they had been absorbed into the Training Reserve ...

58268959_KRRCReservebattalions-notesKRRCChronicle1918p_288.jpg.e496eb58abdd64b28fe907d7557b0f02.jpg

All were at Wimbledon Camp.

These were originally the depot companies of the KRRC's K4 battalions - 16/, 17/, 18/ and 20/ KRRC.

We have suspicions that they focussed on feeding rifles units even after they became TR.

Some of the NCO's may be experienced men rather than recruits.  Note one of the L/Cpls has a Good Conduct chevron up, so cannot be a fresh TR recruit.

Just checking the names given now.

Great photo!

Mark

54 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

The Wimbledon training camp area was compulsorily acquired in 1914, but not occupied until 1916.  There are some interesting photos here: https://photoarchive.merton.gov.uk/collections/war/first-world-war/army-camps

Many thanks Frogsmile. 

49 minutes ago, MBrockway said:

One of 19/, 22/ or 23/KRRC after they had been absorbed into the Training Reserve ...

58268959_KRRCReservebattalions-notesKRRCChronicle1918p_288.jpg.e496eb58abdd64b28fe907d7557b0f02.jpg

These were originally the depot companies of the KRRC's K4 battalions - 16/, 17/, 18/ and 20/ KRRC.

We have suspicions that they focussed on feeding rifles units even after they became TR.

Great photo!

Mark

Thank you Mark. Great information. 

Excuse pls what may be a rather stupid question, but as I know next to nothing about 1WW Army, what is the small circular cap badge the soldiers in front & back rows are wearing?

Thanks, Bryan

Edited by RNCVR

2 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Excuse pls what may be a rather stupid question, but as I know next to nothing about 1WW Army, what is the small circular cap badge the soldiers in front & back rows are wearing?

Thanks, Bryan

Bryan, 

it’s a General Service button in lieu of a cap badge. 

OK thanks GWF, I wondered about the buttons in previous posts, I know I sure could not make out what they were!

& 5 NCO's to train 8 very young looking recruits seems a bit much to me!

Thanks, Bryan

17 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

OK thanks GWF, I wondered about the buttons in previous posts, I know I sure could not make out what they were!

& 5 NCO's to train 8 very young looking recruits seems a bit much to me!

Thanks, Bryan

The buttons were used as a simple cap badge set upon a piece of red felt by the Training Reserve during its relatively short existence Bryan.  If you look at the section on the TR in the ‘Long Long Trail’ adjunct to this forum you will be able to read an interesting explanation.

No luck with those names after a basic trawl.  Lots of options, so to get further will need a lot of Service/Pension Record digging and I have no time for that just now, sorry.

Mark

12 minutes ago, MBrockway said:

No luck with those names after a basic trawl.  Lots of options, so to get further will need a lot of Service/Pension Record digging and I have no time for that just now, sorry.

Mark

None of them had wound stripes, or any skill at arms badges, so I strongly suspect that they might well have been acting rank.  They are very young NCOs, with just the two LCpls looking a little older.  They might well have ended up in different regiments once they arrived at the IBDs.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Completely agree!  TR men often got transferred to unexpected units once at the IBDs.  With rifles trained men, there may have been a slight bias towards rifles battalions - KRRC, RB and all the various London Regt and other TF rifles battalions.

As you say though, they could end up anywhere!  Both regiments received drafts from county/line regiments who'd had no exposure to rifles drill and traditions whatever.  These inbound IBD transfers are mostly in the A/200xxx and B/200xxx blocks.

I'm on something for Andy :ph34r: just now.  I'll aim to come back to this in a few days.

30 Division Royal Engineers - circa 1915

image.png.e133fa52983bb59836142535b91969f5.png

image.png.27a6aeb77925b381dd0bfd879a150ef9.png

image.png.304380baf3e2ff5ca3081f7161e351fe.png

image.png.904f86b7dd83051bb600e8c9619b4b9f.png

image.png.b1433f0af6231f298463d66231ab4d1f.png

image.png.d4617c523bc65b6aba04c7a58d0ec8f1.png

Images sourced from Ancestry - CRE 30 Division war diary

11 hours ago, MBrockway said:

Some of the NCO's may be experienced men rather than recruits.  Note one of the L/Cpls has a Good Conduct chevron up, so cannot be a fresh TR recruit.

Great photo!

Mark

Many thanks for the T.R. Bn. information.

8 hours ago, MBrockway said:

Completely agree!  TR men often got transferred to unexpected units once at the IBDs.  With rifles trained men, there may have been a slight bias towards rifles battalions - KRRC, RB and all the various London Regt and other TF rifles battalions.

As you say though, they could end up anywhere!  Both regiments received drafts from county/line regiments who'd had no exposure to rifles drill and traditions whatever.  These inbound IBD transfers are mostly in the A/200xxx and B/200xxx blocks.

I'm on something for Andy :ph34r: just now.  I'll aim to come back to this in a few days.

That would be greatly appreciated Mark.

"712 Coy. A.S.C.  M.T.  No.8."  -  Photo By. A Parker. Bridge St. Hungerford. Berks.

"Gor Blimey" cap and blackened buttons on show.

KRRC Training Batt (2).jpg

One for dog lovers.   

"Togo.    Band of the 1st  R.W.Fus.  Mascot"

Togo. 1st R.W.F. (2).jpg

49 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

One for dog lovers.   

"Togo.    Band of the 1st  R.W.Fus.  Mascot"

That’s very interesting, I’ve never heard of him before. Do you have an approximate date?

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

"712 Coy. A.S.C.  M.T.  No.8."  -  Photo By. A Parker. Bridge St. Hungerford. Berks.

"Gor Blimey" cap and blackened buttons on show.

Just for your info, the buttons are not ‘blackened’, but a brown leather, utilitarian type that were issued for a while.

35B16072-3028-47DF-8C05-E338807FF52E.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

18 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

That’s very interesting, I’ve never heard of him before. Do you have an approximate date?

Sorry no.  I guessed he’d been adopted.

The photographers “studio” has a very “somewhere in France” look to it.

The boot prints suggest he wasn’t the first band member to pose