Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

14 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Thanks Froggie, I was unaware of that site, altho I had viewed a couple of the photos in the past. ie: the  first photo of the Coast Guards group, & WO & CWO's of HMS Hood, 

It's quite an extensive site that although a little old-fashioned has a very good history of Royal Navy (and RCN, RAAN, RNZN) warrant officers.  I fear that one day it might disappear, so it may be worthwhile to retain some of the carefully compiled information.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Froggie we are getting off topic here but to qualify as a Warrant Officer an RN rating had to undergo quite a rigorous testing process & pass an education test.

Here are a couple examples of the Certificates a late Victorian era Gunnery rating qualified for in the Warrant Gunner promotion process....apparently the Seamanship exam was quite extensive.

I have this ratings handwritten Gunnery Journal & its amazing the mathematics they had to know...& the gun drawings in his Journal are quite extensive.

Anderson cert 1.jpg

Anderson cert 2.jpg

25 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

"Liverpool Scottish 1912"

Liverpool Scottish 1912 (3).jpg

An interesting photograph.
Does that chap, on the far right of the photo, only have one leg?

10 minutes ago, Sepoy said:

An interesting photograph.
Does that chap, on the far right of the photo, only have one leg?

Gosh - Now you mention it..  Mosquito most likely!

I think it is the way he is standing, one leg behind the other. If you look at his feet, you can see two shoe soles.

Some more unknown Norfolk's in India c1914 (see post number 7371) . Dazzling bright!   The majority of "Foreign Service" cards I have seem to be of the Norfolks in India! 

942182613_NorfolkWhites2.jpg.9c2fb2e943bb93f79b8962fbfd69e9dc.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

I've never done a full study of whites, although I recall a flurry of email exchanges with Muerrish some years ago, but they seem to have had fewer versions than KD.  That one shows the later pattern (spanning the turn of the century) with chest pockets.  Thank you for posting it.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Just now, FROGSMILE said:

I've never done a full study of whites, but they seem to have had fewer versions than KD.  That one shows the later pattern (spanning the turn of the century) with chest pockets.  Thank you for posting it.

Here is another nice one, Leicestershire Regiment. Crystal clear! 

240863783_LeicestershireFS.jpg.44c0fe36075338bd6301bad6991ca4d6.jpg

Can even read the scroll on his cap badge.

1328720546_LeicestershireFS2.jpg.29c29d9be9f10c9bc68f4292a27305d5.jpg

Beautiful images!  I did not even know the Army wore whites!

Might as well continue the theme. 

Welsh Regiment 

1706305175_WelshRegt.jpg.64f51151a7f395ab0600f572d91aaef0.jpg

L.I Serjeant. 793036482_LISGTFS.jpg.54410b995fe3834b5c3da97651bbe1a5.jpg

They are wearing this style of White, easily mistaken for the Duck Fatigue suit, but slightly more elaborate construction and lighter cotton drill material. 

Fatigue1.JPG.23435a45c028558d1d81992751637a16.JPG

Fatigue2.JPG.c1e2a1fd7868f80d1a9cb3805f9ed0ae.JPG

Lovely images Toby, especially the Leicestershire Regiment private, who probably in emulation of his officers has had a pair of trousers narrowed by the bazaar tailor and fitted with under-instep straps, specifically for walking out. They would not have been permitted on parade in a formed body, but it’s surprising what was tolerated for walking out providing it enhanced smartness to a recognisably ‘pukka’ degree.  This fitted in with the encouraged view of that time that every soldier should think of himself as an officer in the perception of local natives in the streets and bazaars.

Edited by FROGSMILE

A group photograph of men from the 3rd Battalion, Middlesex Regiment, wearing whites, prior to the Great War.
It includes Captain Scarborough; Colour Sergeant Ludlow; Captain Hilton; Sergeant Kerswill and Lieutenant Lyon.
Captain Clarence Hilton was later killed in action on 1st July, 1916.

I assume that the buttons were held on with split rings, so they could removed prior to washing, like the NCO's rank insignia which were held on with hooks. On one of my first trips to India, I had a number of shirts washed locally. They came back perfectly clean but with all the buttons smashed!

Sepoy

Capt Scarborough Col Sg tLudlow Capt Hilton Sgt Kerswill and Lt Lyon.jpg

Edited by Sepoy

Captain Hilton, 3rd Battalion, Middlesex Regiment with men from B Company.
The photograph was taken at Cawnpore, India during 1913.

Sepoy

Cawnpore 1913 B Co 3 Bn Mx.jpg

Yes they did use split rings, just like tiny key rings. They were brass and used to go green with algae unless cleaned, but did not rust.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Sepoy, the group may indeed be all of B company, it is certainly all of its officers and SNCOs.

It also illustrates how some men, not intrinsically of the company, were attached to it for administrative purposes, as witness the bandsmen.

There are, however, far too many drummers, because a company normally had two. It was not unknown for a battalion, and thus each company, to have an overstrength band and/ or drums, subsidised by the officers, with the extra members as technically under training awaiting a vacancy. This was also true for the signals and MG sections/ platoons.

It was essential to maintain cadres in waiting because of the Trooping Season whereby time-expired men went back to Blightly in their dozens.

But you knew all that!

They are really excellent photos Sepoy. The Sergeants red sash look so black against their white tunics!

Presumably the Middlesex Reg't had service in South Africa, three of them are wearing SA medals in the first photo, & same individuals in B Co. photo but none of the other OR's?

Dear All,

What happened to Capt Scarborough's Sword?

He looked rather naked without it!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes they did use split rings, just like tiny key rings. They were brass and used to go green with algae unless cleaned, but did not rust.

Thanks, an answer to a question I had yet to ask. 

E6A7D7EB-687D-44BC-8D2B-BCA9A5C1A667.jpeg

Hut 15. Boys of The R.G.A.

"Weymouth Boys. Toothless Squad War.   - Warren, Potts(Bill), Sheppard, Parker, Wolstenholme, Bennett (Isle of Man) Stevenson (Bungay), Baylam?(London". 

Weymouth Boys. RGA (2).jpg

Weymouth Boys. Back (2).jpg

Edited by GWF1967

46 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Thanks, an answer to a question I had yet to ask. 

Yes, that’s them.  The small circular holes in the whites were punched through and then blanket/whip stitched around the edges to stop them fraying, with two more, reinforced at the sides of the waist through which brass belt hooks were fitted.

E31A5F2B-3554-4B06-93B5-FF669E145BB3.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

58 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Hut 15. Boys of The R.G.A.

"Weymouth Boys. Toothless Squad War.   - Warren, Potts(Bill), Sheppard, Parker, Wolstenholme, Bennett (Isle of Man) Stevenson (Bungay), Baylam?(London". 

Weymouth Boys. RGA (2).jpg

Weymouth Boys. Back (2).jpg

Lots of gilding metal signalling badges, nobody above LCpl, a wrist watch ........

These groups fascinate. Has the standing LCpl had fangs pulled? His chops are puffy.

And the delicate handkerchief under the kneeling knee.

Edited by Muerrisch

8 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

Lots of gilding metal signalling badges, nobody above LCpl, a wrist watch ........

These groups fascinate. Has the standing LCpl had fangs pulled? His chops are puffy.

And the delicate handkerchief under the kneeling knee.

Glad you liked it. I think the watch is an Id tag.