Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Was The New Inn still there?

19 hours ago, RNCVR said:

I

Interesting, now perhaps you might reveal to a naval person what a stick orderly might be pls?

PS --- I like the convoy photo....

Thanks,

Bryan

To try and maintain the highest standards of turnout one extra man was ‘told off’ (i.e. nominated) for guard each day.  The men were inspected at ‘guard mount’ (commencement of duty) by the orderly officer of the day accompanied by the orderly sergeant, and the smartest man was nominated as ‘stickman’ and excused all duties for the day.
This attention to smartness was because the Quarter Guard represented front of house for a unit and was the first thing that a visiting dignitary saw when visiting.  It ‘set the tone’, as the saying went.  During such a visit the guard was ‘turned out’ (i.e. from the guard room) to fall in and form a small guard of honour, presenting arms if under arms, and with trumpeter/bugler sounding a salute, which also served to warn RHQ that someone had arrived.

NB.  There were variations on being excused duties. In some units (like RWF) you would become the Adjutant’s runner for the day, which was still a more cushy number than doing guard, and you got to undress and sleep in your own bed.  

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks Froggie!

Best......Bryan

17 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Thanks Froggie!

Best......Bryan

Happy to help Bryan.

It does amuse me that you can’t bring yourself to type Frogsmile.  I know it’s a ridiculous handle, but hey, isn’t that great!

There are 7-letters in Froggie, and 9-letters in Frogsmile.....:P

Edited by FROGSMILE

Froggie sounds better!

Actually its somewhat of a derogatory term in Canada as Canadians of French origin(myself included), that is that spoke french as their main language, were referred to by some english speaking Canadians as "frogs" or "froggies".

Not to demean any member of course, just as 'useless' information.

Best....Bryan

1 minute ago, RNCVR said:

Not to demean any member of course, just as 'useless' information.

Best....Bryan

Naturellement!

Think I better get back to posting RN RPPC's!

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

To try and maintain the highest standards of turnout one extra man was ‘told off’ (i.e. nominated) for guard each day.  The men were inspected at ‘guard mount’ (commencement of duty) by the orderly officer of the day accompanied by the orderly sergeant, and the smartest man was nominated as ‘stickman’ and excused all duties for the day.

And there are stories of competition among some sections to provide the stick man. All would muck in to get the man ready for parade, even to the point of carrying him on to parade to keep his boots and turnout immaculate.

RAF Uxbridge 1955 was the home of the Regiment and the Band ..... and a Main Met Office.

My first posting, and Guard Mount was at 0800 and indeed the stick man was carried into position. The CO [believe this] had an open green Bentley and a black Labrador. The car swept in with a plume of dust and the Guard salute was returned elegantly.

Was I impressed!

A love affair with the RAF was born.

My uncle was in Trieste after the war in Italy finished and was stick man for parade on a couple of occasions. As he was a tailor by trade and had found a packet of starch in the building where he was billeted his turnout was immaculate and he was carried on to parade.

I cannot for the life of me imagine a soldier being carried onto parade, that is simply amazing to a navy guy!

But I can see him being carried off parade due to fainting & similar circumstances.

Thanks, Bryan

It's a team bonding thing to use a modern expression. Bets were also placed apparently.

Yes can see bets being placed on that, & see point of the team bonding, just seems strange to me, but then I am not versed that great on Army traditions!

Thanks Squirrel,

Bryan

A PO2nd class Gunnery Armourer.

Among the various Gunnery rates the rate of Gunnery Armourer was not common, only rarely seen, I only have a couple examples of Armourers. In this RPPC the focus is not great but his insignia are all visible. 

Gunnery Arm'r.2.JPG

Gunnery Arm'r.3.JPG

Rate badge of a PO1st class & Chief PO Armourer.  The ratings in the RPPC above is a PO2nd class thus no star above his rate badge.

armourer 001.JPG

Edited by RNCVR

8 hours ago, RNCVR said:

Was The New Inn still there?

Sorry Bryan, I didn’t notice, I wasn’t there for beer unfortunately. 

Doubt it survived over 100 yrs!

spacer.pngSergeants Mess. 7th R.W.F. Abergavenny Camp 1909. 

Proficiency and efficiency stars, efficiency diamonds, musketry instructors, and musketry prize badges, a huge range of award, trade, and senior NCO rank badges on show. 

4 S.W.B. Men including riding instructor? front row. 

D50D8807-649B-44CE-9606-4BDA2048AD23.jpeg

3147F932-F82C-40DA-A8E7-76A4DE9F6F4B.jpeg

87052E4D-D967-42DE-BEF5-84DDD300083A.jpeg

D3EDC761-BBDF-400B-881F-109FF13DDD7D.jpeg

9D438DA3-C113-443A-A157-7AE5842150F6.jpeg

8FBE577D-D692-471C-9B3A-C47F7681FB24.jpeg

2E7613E6-296A-43B4-9808-E6D1D834319C.jpeg

4DEED500-8C12-4677-B7D0-6A5827F698D4.jpeg

Edited by GWF1967

OH OH OH OH!

Absolutely superb. Thank you exceedingly.

Best regiment of the army.

Bandmaster, bugle-major [what!], lots of Permanent staff colour sergeants with school of musketry qualification, armourer sergeant, distance judging, and the Acting Sergeant major.

Just for starters.

4 S.W.B. Men including riding instructor? front row. 

Also a Bandmaster front row second from left, but no idea what Reg't.  See some medal ribbons in front row, possibly IGS, QSA, KSA, possibly an Army LS as well.  The RSM(holding sword in left hand) in centre appears to have 4 ribbons.

The Serg't Major(?) wearing 4 inverted chevrons, beside Bandmaster, cannot make out his trade badge.

Very nice photo, thanks for posting GWF!

Bryan

The 4 chevron and something man is probably the [or a] RQMS in modern speak.

I don't buy the riding instructor ..... more likely permanent staff with S of M quaification.

16 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

The 4 chevron and something man is probably the [or a] RQMS in modern speak.

I don't buy the riding instructor ..... more likely permanent staff with S of M quaification.

Yes, possibly. He might also be the ORQMS, but on balance, with his departmental pal the Armourer Sergeant behind him, the RQMS seems to be the best bet.  It’s interesting that after 1908 the TF Armourer Sergeants continued to be regimentally badged despite that their regular counterparts had been absorbed by the AOC since 1896.  Bugle major of course still a feature of former Volunteer Rifle Corps units.

The SWB men were almost certainly attending in order to qualify for their annual bounty (cash stipend) having been unable to attend camp with their parent unit.  This was done for mutual benefit as RWF men could and did do the same in reverse.  Coordination was carried out via the common formation HQ.

The SWB Sergeant in the front row is a Colour Sergeant Instructor of Musketry sitting in the same row with his RWF counterparts sitting either side of the Acting Sergeant Major.

61BC6F72-0B1D-41BC-9F15-F58BC9F215CB.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

STARS, STRIPES AND CHEVRONS PDF.

The complete seven chapters are now edited into one PDF, available to anyone, all I need is a PM with your email address: the PDF is about 5 MB.

21 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes, possibly. He might also be the ORQMS, but on balance, with his departmental pal the Armourer Sergeant behind him, the RQMS seems to be the best bet.  It’s interesting that after 1908 the TF Armourer Sergeants continued to be regimentally badged despite that their regular counterparts had been absorbed by the AOC since 1896.  Bugle major of course still a feature of former Volunteer Rifle Corps units.

The SWB men were almost certainly attending in order to qualify for their annual bounty (cash stipend) having been unable to attend camp with their parent unit.  This was done for mutual benefit as RWF men could and did do the same in reverse.  Coordination was carried out via the common formation HQ.

The SWB Sergeant in the front row is a Colour Sergeant Instructor of Musketry sitting in the same row with his RWF counterparts sitting either side of the Acting Sergeant Major.

61BC6F72-0B1D-41BC-9F15-F58BC9F215CB.jpeg

The large gentleman on the ARSM's left also has a sword, whereas those ostensibly more senior and more "staff" such as RQMS, Bandmaster and Bugle-major do not.

44 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

The large gentleman on the ARSM's left also has a sword, whereas those ostensibly more senior and more "staff" such as RQMS, Bandmaster and Bugle-major do not.

Are those scabbard tips resting next to the boot toes of the two men either side of the two with obvious swords?

1215027264_Frontrowcentre-Annotated.jpeg.4caf906de648c7caafa3299c81115a0e.jpeg

Mark

PS Many thanks for SSC received A OK ... and only two minutes after requesting it  :thumbsup:

23 minutes ago, MBrockway said:

Are those scabbard tips resting next to the boot toes of the two men either side of the two with obvious swords?

Mark

Yes, they are both Colour Sergeant Instructors of Musketry, and as such second class battalion staff, who by tradition were granted the privilege of being dressed and accoutred as first class staff.  This included swords and in this case they both have them on hand for the photograph, whereas some of their contemporaries do not.  They are a TF unit such as often had problems with obtaining a full complement of equipment.

Edited by FROGSMILE