Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

2 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Glad you liked it. I think the watch is an Id tag. 

That does seem more likely, I agree.

5th (Cinque Ports) Battalion (TF) of the Royal Sussex Regiment. I would place this shortly after 1908, as the man stood on our right still has the 1st Cinque Port Rifle Volunteers cloth shoulder title (the 1st CPRV became the 5th Btn in 1908).  Lots of nice details here , especially on the  Lee-Metford Mk1*s. 

501009378_5thCP1.jpg.ca5ece5719f90aad148b6bbf12d5c1fd.jpg

1138839916_5thCP2.jpg.565a1616c3757fb25a07a9309244feaa.jpg

The detail is so crisp that C.P.R.V can be made out on the reverse of the bayonet frog. 

130234564_5thCP3.jpg.f02662f61da51286145a1e45f723b4a8.jpg

Super picture. It always makes me smile when I see some of the battalion contingent of ‘Boy’ entrants (they appear to be under 17) sat in their traditional position by convention, cross-legged on the floor in front.  It’s often forgotten except by those deeply immersed in this subject that both, Militia and VF/TF had boys in each unit, although they did not have the opportunity to be trained as craftsmen as a proportion of boy regulars were.  They were confined to just music and percussion.  Notice that they still have fags and even pipes though!

Like you I deeply admire the fantastic resolution of such photos.

Edited by FROGSMILE

The soldier with his left hand on the rifles seems to be the only guy with no cap badge, might there be a reason for this?

Agree, the photo is very sharp & lots of detail!

Thanks, Bryan

1 hour ago, RNCVR said:

The soldier with his left hand on the rifles seems to be the only guy with no cap badge, might there be a reason for this?

He appears to have the coloured peaked forage cap on, note the leather peak, with a khaki cap cover over it. 

I noted his cap was different from his mates. His cap badge is under the cap cover?

Also noted the very young looking soldier seated on left holding the pipe(very young to be smoking!)

has different cap badge than his mates.

23 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

I noted his cap was different from his mates. His cap badge is under the cap cover?

It is yes :-) 

Here is a slightly earlier image posted by @Mike_H a couple of years back. Showing the title in full. 

59d7a55d7a1df_1stCinquePortVolunteers19062.jpg.d38917c3eb3e0bfbd20fef5e3f640baf.jpg

Just a quick thank you to 'Sepoy' for the image in post #7514 of yesterday. It's helped me to identify the three officers on my group photograph taken in early 1913 at Cawnpore (attached link). The Capt Hilton is almost certainly Herbert Philip Hilton (Queen's medal & 6 clasps and King's medal & 2 clasps) who was killed in action on 14th Feb 1915 and not Clarence Hilton who was a Lt with the battalion in 1913. 

Mike

36 minutes ago, mrfrank said:

Just a quick thank you to 'Sepoy' for the image in post #7514 of yesterday. It's helped me to identify the three officers on my group photograph taken in early 1913 at Cawnpore (attached link). The Capt Hilton is almost certainly Herbert Philip Hilton (Queen's medal & 6 clasps and King's medal & 2 clasps) who was killed in action on 14th Feb 1915 and not Clarence Hilton who was a Lt with the battalion in 1913. 

Mike

Hi Mike

Thank you for correcting me regarding Captain Hilton. To my shame, I had not researched the photograph in detail, as I normally do. Spare time has been an issue recently.
There are photographs of other 3rd Battalion Companies, in the same photograph album, and when I get a chance I will see if any of those are named.

Sepoy

"D Company, 52nd Welsh. 1918.  Tom Kay. 3rd Right, 1st Row"

52nd Welsh (2).jpg

Great picture, GWF1967.  Two soldiers on the right are PWV South Lancashire, and the man top centre moved and that’s blurred his badge, but I think that he’s Oxf & Bucks LI.

Edited by FROGSMILE

47 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Great picture, GWF1967.  Two soldiers on the right are PWV South Lancashire, and the man top centre moved and that’s blurred his badge, but I think that he’s Oxf & Bucks LI.

Thanks, O&B.L.I looks a good fit.

I had noted the S.Lancs men, both with overseas service, I just omitted to mention them. 

A group of wounded men  in Blues, including Pte. Ernest Albert Pearse. 28982. 7th D.C.L.I.

Ernest A. Pearse (2).jpg

More RN RPPC's (Real Photo Post Cards - what they are called this side of Atlantic)

Leading Signalman & his girl....  it was not normal to wear the white lanyard braided as he has done.

Signalman, Leading.JPG

Signalman, Leading.2.JPG

Edited by RNCVR

These are ST's (Seaman Torpedoman) ratings,  the torpedo badge with two stars (one above one below) denoted an ST qualified in Electrics. 

The Torpedo branch was responsible for Electrics on board ships until the end of 2WW, when the Electrical branch was formed.

These ratings were trained at HMS Vernon, the Portsmouth Torpedo school.

The first Victorian Ironclad to be fully equipped with electric lighting was HMS Inflexible in 1880.

The first rating is likely an AB(Able Seaman) with one GCB (Good Conduct badge). This image is likely late Victorian as the trousers were worn over the jumper (tunic) in that time frame.  Compare with the full length wedding photo in the next frame.

2nd rating same, but with 2 GCB's.

ST(HS) AB.JPG

ST(HS).JPG

Edited by RNCVR

This rating has some seniority - he is a PO1 (Petty Officer 1st class),with three GCB's (minimum of 13 yrs service),

photo taken one their wedding day.

Note the long tapes securing his silk to his tunic. They were tied in a bow & the the left over, hanging down part, was to be trimmed at approx 3" length.  Think since this is his wedding he may have intentionally left them longer.  Later, during interwar period & 1950's the tapes were worn white & full length for weddings.  Eventually I will show a photo of this. 

Might be best not to comment on his lack of hair!!

Another thing I would like to mention is (& its somewhat hard to see but if you look closely you can just make out the folds) his trousers are pressed in "seven seas", the style of the Victorian\Edwardian pre war period, this was still being practiced after 2WW into the 1950's.  The trouser legs were folded at 2" intervals, from bottom to top & alternately pressed in an accordian fashion.  His long tunic tapes are pressed same way.

Thanks, Bryan

ST(HS) PO.JPG

ST(HS) PO.close.JPG

Edited by RNCVR

"The Buffs off to Chobham"

Unsent postcard annotated on the rear "Just off out on a field day for the King, it is a lovely day & thousands of people. Jack. I don't know if you would recognise me so have marked X" (Sergeant front smoking pipe). 

Aside from the white manoeuvre bands, this appears to be quite an unassuming postcard at first. Closer inspection reveals they are all in the 1st pattern "straight tabbed" 1908 Web Equipment, with converted G.S Haversacks, the most I have ever seen in one photo. They all carry Mk1 SMLEs. An added bonus is that at the rear, is an exceptionally rare shot of what I believe is the ammunition carrier vest. I can think of only a couple of photographs that I have seen this in usually in the Sudan (1898) or on the NWF. 

1373927649_BuffsofftoChobham1.jpg.6700fa51fd5026dc31745af7edcef71a.jpg

1745853516_BuffsofftoChobham2.jpg.5ac9c767f61828322d8d6b2edf753dea.jpg

jack.jpg.950675254ab2c03d6443644621ec22e5.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

Toby, what is the significance of the white bands around their caps?

4 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Toby, what is the significance of the white bands around their caps?

In this guise, usually "Opposing Force" on field days/manoeuvres :-)  

Edited by Toby Brayley

Thanks Toby!

4 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

"The Buffs off to Chobham"

An added bonus is that at the rear, is an exceptionally rare shot of what I believe is the ammunition carrier vest. I can think of only a couple of photographs that I have seen this in usually in the Sudan (1898) or on the NWF. 

1745853516_BuffsofftoChobham2.jpg.5ac9c767f61828322d8d6b2edf753dea.jpg

Thank you for adding this photo Toby
I was not aware of the use of Ammunition Carrier Vests. On my return home, I will check my copies of list of changes (reprinted by Ian Skennerton) to see if they are mentioned.
Sepoy

@RNCVR loving those RN postcards, thank you. Other half was a PO (Comms) when he was in the RNR so I shall show him the signaller.

Hi All, there is a photo of English troops arriving at Gallipoli on a barge.Amongst the 1903 equipment is the vest quite clear in the photo.

9 hours ago, Sepoy said:

I was not aware of the use of Ammunition Carrier Vests. On my return home, I will check my copies of list of changes (reprinted by Ian Skennerton) to see if they are mentioned.

Thank you, that would be great. 

2 hours ago, gronksmil said:

Hi All, there is a photo of English troops arriving at Gallipoli on a barge.Amongst the 1903 equipment is the vest quite clear in the photo.

You must mean the arrival of the L. F.  I have seen the photo 100s if not 1000s of times.. and never noticed... Until now, thank you!

IMG_20200322_073236.jpg.360a88199317f6a604320dfb943b717b.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley