Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Not sure what unit they are. The shoulder title visible seems to say 'AIY' or 'ATY'. It was sent in 1905 probably by an S B Dixon.

Scan0223.jpg

Dear All,

Here is my grandfather in 19155afc7bb66ef9f_1915LieutW.F.LindsaywithMilitiacapBadgeTrginAustralia.jpg.1f0cfb4636ae54a1a4255cb6c2ff4840.jpg.f0aaaeb9355b13be95f762ef2e876087.jpg, then Australian Imperial Force 1405718862_LtWFLindsay53BnAIFID.jpg.7584347d91504acfcf15f3a6cf82f116.jpgLt W. F. Lindsay, before going overseas - still wearing his Militia Volunteers uniform.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

37 minutes ago, Jools mckenna said:

Not sure what unit they are. The shoulder title visible seems to say 'AIY' or 'ATY'. It was sent in 1905 probably by an S B Dixon.

Scan0223.jpg

If it's AIY then the only one that fits is the Ayrshire Imperial Yeomanry.   Pete.

43 minutes ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear All,

Here is my grandfather in 19155afc7bb66ef9f_1915LieutW.F.LindsaywithMilitiacapBadgeTrginAustralia.jpg.1f0cfb4636ae54a1a4255cb6c2ff4840.jpg.f0aaaeb9355b13be95f762ef2e876087.jpg, then Australian Imperial Force 1405718862_LtWFLindsay53BnAIFID.jpg.7584347d91504acfcf15f3a6cf82f116.jpgLt W. F. Lindsay, before going overseas - still wearing his Militia Volunteers uniform.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Excellent.  Thanks for posting Kim.

2 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear All,

Here is my grandfather in 1915, then Australian Imperial Force Lt W. F. Lindsay, before going overseas - still wearing his Militia Volunteers uniform.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Great photograph! Thank you for sharing.

Chris 

2 hours ago, Jools mckenna said:

Not sure what unit they are. The shoulder title visible seems to say 'AIY' 

I agree with Pete, Ayrshire Imperial Yeomanry, I've zoomed in on the title, it is AIY 

Chris

A unknown yeoman,  it would appear both horse and rider were not quite ready for the photo to be taken! 

yeoman.jpg

RAMC. 

Scan0231.jpg

Any Ideas on the cap badge?

Scan0228.jpg

WP_20190510_18_15_39_Pro (2).jpg

Territorial RHA.

Scan0224.jpg

10 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

with a sword????????????

Definitely North Staffords, but that’s a cavalry sword.  At first glance I’d have though an infantry transport NCO exercising a field officer’s mount, but the pattern of sword gainsay’s that.  Was there a Staffs Yeomanry unit converted to infantry?

Edited by FROGSMILE

Any guesses on the nationality of this uniform? 

Scan0229.jpg

The word "hussar" comes to mind but that white cap is odd. Hungarian?

I agree with SeaJane:wub:, a Hungarian Hussar seems likely to me too.

On 10/05/2019 at 18:24, Jools mckenna said:

Any Ideas on the cap badge?

WP_20190510_18_15_39_Pro (2).jpg

Pistol order and whistle chain, also fairly unusual.  Perhaps in some kind of RP or Provost role. 

7 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

Pistol order and whistle chain, also fairly unusual.  Perhaps in some kind of RP or Provost role. 

Good point.  He might perhaps be a ‘probationer’ for Military Mounted Police (MMP), which would fit with whistle and pistol.  I seem to recall that regimental insignia was worn during probation.  It would explain the cavalry sword.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Good point.  He might perhaps be a ‘probationer’ for Military Mounted Police (MMP), which would fit with whistle and pistol.  I seem to recall that regimental insignia was worn during probation.  It would explain the cavalry sword.

It was indeed,  it is the typical MMP tack setup also.   

If he is a probationer or a "lent man" its a rather rare picture indeed, certainly all the clues point to him being so.  It is not uncommon for the Infantry to transfer into the MMP rather than MFP. 

Edited by Toby Brayley

3 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

It was indeed,  it is the typical MMP tack setup also.   

If he is a probationer or a "lent man" its a rather rare picture indeed, certainly all the clues point to him being so.  It is not uncommon for the Infantry to transfer into the MMP rather than MFP. 

Yes it all seems to fit.  A lot of Infantrymen were grateful to get away from foot slogging and there was still a certain social cachet to going ‘mounted’.  It’s a pity we can’t see his right arm and arm band to corroborate matters.

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

He appears to be wearing a leather cross belt or Sam brown type belt over his left shoulder, is this another clue to the MMP side of things?

Chris

KRRC (hopefully I've gotten it right) 3 Feb 1917. Wounded twice.

Scan0214.jpg

26 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

He appears to be wearing a leather cross belt or Sam brown type belt over his left shoulder, is this another clue to the MMP side of things?

Chris

Yes Chris, it’s the supporting brace for ‘pistol order’, something common to both, MMP and MFP, along with a link chain and whistle.

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes Chris, it’s the supporting brace for ‘pistol order’, something common to both, MMP and MFP, along with a link chain and whistle.

Ah, thank you, do you have a picture of the pistol order please, I've never heard of it.

Cheers

Chris 

3 hours ago, Jools mckenna said:

KRRC (hopefully I've gotten it right) 3 Feb 1917. Wounded twice.

Scan0214.jpg

Nice picture, yes, KRRC I too would say.

Chris 

1 hour ago, Dragoon said:

Ah, thank you, do you have a picture of the pistol order please, I've never heard of it.

Cheers

Chris 

In the Colour image pistol order is on the right.  In the two photos (one including the Prince of Wales) the pistol is worn tucked right around on the right hip and the supporting brace is clear.  Armband is on the right upper arm.  Balancing the pistol holster is a small ammunition pouch on the opposite side of the waist belt. In the second photo we see the initial securing of prisoners of war, a military police role.

88708C2A-B555-48F5-AF6F-F68371DFEBC5.jpeg

B630ED2F-00CE-459C-8F70-C42E31287974.jpeg

A5177D69-A48B-461C-99C3-EE2EDD0D70B5.jpeg

61A87F3D-1069-4147-92A2-A4AB879268E9.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE