Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

That is indeed a sad story Kim, especially if the disease concerned is one that could have been contagious, I do hope that it wasn’t.  I’m wondering now if he volunteered for the IARO in order to maintain an income and status that he did not have pre-war.  Leaving a wife and family to fight a war of national survival is one thing, but to leave them again voluntarily to go far away to India bespeaks some intriguing and as yet unclear motives.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Dear Chris,

Nice of you to say that. 

By further research I managed to identify three of the other officers - the one with the cane appropriately ending up as a Provost Marshal in the RAF!

I started from scratch with just the loose medals and their squashed boxes. A friend connected me to a grand-daughter, who was extremely helpful and generous: I travelled from Germany to the fairly inaccessable address in the UK to meet her, staying in a hotel, etc.

The clasp to the 1914 Star was not confirmed on Sidney Boddy's otherwise detailed Medal Index Card, but one of his officers' medal group (avec clasp) was auctioned by DNW. Happily, his Indian Army Reserve of Officers service papers survived, and are quite detailed.

Incidentally, the then Cpl. Boddy had also witnessed the "Christmas Truce", and was given a spoon (still with the family) by one of the fraternising Germans.

India was his undoing a la longue - and the agonizing treatment of the day to combat the disease proved ineffective... 

Kindest regards,

Kim.P1150615.JPG.e409786d7f40e0ca8ddbdd4add3d2ab3.JPGP1150640.jpg.f0b9e9cc2c0f6fcd2cd72d105e7a6458.jpg

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

Wonderful to see the medals, nice to hear his Officers papers survived also, and an intriguing story about the Christmas truce, all great stuff!

My Grandfather was an Old Contemptible also, landed in France on the 16th August 1914, injured in November, treated and recovered in France then rejoined another Battery in Jan 1915, he was then returned home with 'debility' in 1917, sent to India in 1917 to Amritsar, he went on leave 2 days before the Amritsar shootings in April 1919, we have a letter from his OC saying that he 'if he doesn't return to this unit etc, so he didn't have to go back to India, but he did, and he had a wife and 3 children, so an income or something made him go back! he then took part in the 3rd Afghan War in June 1919!

Happily he lived, left India later in1919 left the Army in 1921.

Thanks again Kim,

Chris

One of a series of cards showing 134 MT Coy ASC in Wells during 1915. 

134 Coy MT ASC Wells 1.jpg

Does anybody know what the patch on the man on the left means? Looks like a Red(?) square. Also, German writing is on the back so they might be Pows.

scot and dog (2).jpg

scot and dog c(2).jpg

On 22/05/2019 at 13:33, elliot#1 said:

One of a series of cards showing 134 MT Coy ASC in Wells during 1915. 

134 Coy MT ASC Wells 1.jpg

A really nice image with a good selection of 03 equipment, mix of SD and gore blimey caps

On 29/05/2019 at 19:31, Jools mckenna said:

Does anybody know what the patch on the man on the left means? Looks like a Red(?) square. Also, German writing is on the back so they might be Pows.

scot and dog (2).jpg

scot and dog c(2).jpg

Only a tentative ID, but many years ago I saw a red square of a similar size on a Royal Scots cuff rank jacket. (The owner has since died and the jacket has gone who knows where.)

5th Platoon B company 15th Battalion London Regiment (Prince of Wales Own Civil Service Rifles) Wimbledon Common 20th Oct 1918 or 1919.

Top row:

Bew,Hart,Ray & Elliott.

Row two:

L/cpl Coates ME,Faultless,Gilbe V,Smith,Pavie,Nimmo & L/cpl Smee.

Row three:

Cpl Cutmore, CSM Barber, Lt Newton,Sgt Nicholls & Cpl Howard.

Row Four sitting on ground:

King,Burton,Milnes & Greenslade.

Pc PofW CSR.JPG

Royal Engineers squad the post stamp is Aldershot 20th March 1904(My section and others outside of Barracks ) with an Aldershot address

Pc RE 1904.JPG

Pc RE 1904 No2.JPG

Edited by themonsstar

This one could be the East Surreys  Koln (Germany) 1919 The sergeant is sat in the middle of the group. Two of the soldiers are showing wound stripes,another is showing crossflags for his signalling course.

Pc pos East Surreys.JPG

Edited by themonsstar

Royal Marine Light Infantry, Officers and Senior Non-Commissioned Officers with L/Cpls sitting on the floor July 1921

Pc RMLI pos war.JPG

Bonn.JPG

5 hours ago, themonsstar said:

Two Artillery postcards

Pc RFA-RGA No1.JPG

Nice to see the girdle belt on and interesting 5 button frock (?). Thank you for posting. 

For some colour, here is  the RA  7 button frock and girdle belt combination. 

1007036217_Frockandgirdle.jpg.cf648f5fdb4dd7435981ceb6004e8a80.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

On 29/05/2019 at 19:31, Jools mckenna said:

scot and dog (2).jpg

scot and dog c(2).jpg

Could the hats be misleading, particularly if these are prisoners of war, the man on the right is wearing what looks like a civilian cap and the man on the left has a Tam o shanter but doesn't have the modification to the front of his jacket for kilt and sporran.  

Wonderful postcard photograph of the Coldstream Guards sent in 1912. Its is interesting to see the large brass 1st Class Scout badge on S.D. The black felt backing is clearly evident. This badge was supposed to have superseded by the smaller style in 1907. Some nice details here including Hooked Quillon P1907 Bayonets, early 1908 webbing with the straight tabs and early flared braces.

1537889748_CGScout.jpg.f5b25d3d2b6b2fd467baad251588dc95.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

11 hours ago, themonsstar said:

Royal Marine Light Infantry, Officers and Senior Non-Commissioned Officers with L/Cpls sitting on the floor July 1921

Pc RMLI pos war.JPG

Bonn.JPG

What's the cap badge of the two officers in the darker uniforms? Seems to have some sort of backing on the lower section which i'm not familiar with.

11 hours ago, munce said:

What's the cap badge of the two officers in the darker uniforms? Seems to have some sort of backing on the lower section which i'm not familiar with.

They are wearing coloured forage caps, on which were the traditional bullion wire and rich metal cap badges.  The lower part comprised a large bullion wreath of ‘laurels’ with silver-gilt metal ‘globe’ placed at its centre.  These badges were later replaced with a smaller version.

12252374-E75C-4B40-9470-4BFB842841ED.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Roy

Has the bottom of the RMLI group been cut off? It appears to read RMLI (PO DIV) [Portsmouth Division PAYMASTER[S?]

Duncan  

12 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Roy

Has the bottom of the RMLI group been cut off? It appears to read RMLI (PO DIV) [Portsmouth Division PAYMASTER[S?]

Duncan  

I think you’re right Duncan, ‘Paymasters Department’, perhaps and so showing all the office staff from officers down to clerks.  It’s interesting to see the two, Warrant Officers, one with laurel wreath rank badge and the other without, both wearing peaked forage caps.

13 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

They are wearing coloured forage caps, on which were the traditional bullion wire and rich metal cap badges.  The lower part comprised a large bullion wreath of ‘laurels’ with silver-gilt metal ‘globe’ placed at its centre.  These badges were later replaced with a smaller version.

12252374-E75C-4B40-9470-4BFB842841ED.jpeg

Thanks Frogsmile. 

On 04/06/2019 at 09:13, themonsstar said:

Member of the household cavalry with an African soldier not sure which ones.

Pc KRA - LG.JPG

King’s African Rifles, ‘Hausa’, I think.  This image would go down really well at the Oxbridge universities right now.

Edited by FROGSMILE

366 Siege Battery R.G.A. group including Gnr. 126121. William Harvie.

Harvie RGA..jpg

New arrival ,T.F Btn of the Royal Scots (?). Normally outside my sphere of collecting, but there are some nice details here that made it a must have. Not only a superb study of a Maxim and a unit made/commercial carriage but also the .22 Short Rifle Mk1, very rarely seen in photos.  Note the Blank firing adapter on the Maxim.

Enjoy

665254921_RSMG1.jpg.f40ec9ac4f8596d6d830fa27dd8696e1.jpg2114465302_RSMG2.jpg.a0020081f537f5f9dc1a378123319989.jpg377797887_RSMG3.jpg.e6f9c6c8cc456828462262bca3246952.jpg

Further info on the .22 Short Rifle....

Edited by Toby Brayley