Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Postcard sent in 191?, unknown Artillery TF.  Late use of the Martini Enfield Carbine and 1888 Bayonet. Really interesting to see the trumpeter with the 1858 Yataghan Bayonet  with the steel artillery scabbard.

1822390663_ArtyVols1888andyata.jpg.692858a3cf65385ee9e9a220d566f9f7.jpg

763548866_ArtyVols1888andyata2.jpg.bc4d845f12e6af2bca7cd5594df2e41b.jpg

bushed.jpg.b6727ed3bddb0d79db80cbd952c684bf.jpg

17 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

Some more Maxim goodness. This time an unsent Postcard of the 5th Battalion South Staffs. 1908 Belts with tunics, and the short lived B type patrol jacket worn by the officer. 

Interesting arm badge.

Still wearing the Victorian cap badge. 

They are so rarely seen that I’ve often wondered if most of the Type B patrol jackets were re-tailored to align with Type A.

The MG Sergeant’s badge seems to be a musketry prize.

*double post*! 

Edited by Toby Brayley

A nice cheap eBay find. Garrison Military Police, Nowshera India 1913. Lots to see here including a mix of 5 and 7 button frocks on the D.L.I chaps.  Interesting GMP/Garrison Provost Sergeant badges. They are not armlets as there is no strap, they appear to be held on with hook and eyes?  

Ball topped helmets are obviously for the RHA stood at the back.

520372023_IndiaGMP1913DLI.jpg.4bf276437ec00e44d80f6bbe4f46c36b.jpg

1430911148_IndiaGMP19131.jpg.0fe193ab43e775987fe7701ec09b3049.jpg

Two Dehli Durbar medals being worn?

58 DM

Is there significance in the lack of collar dogs for the Provost Sergeant? I see he has light infantry shoulder titles so assume DLI. I ask because I still find it hard to tell rule from exception (and I suspect I never will, really).

Cheers, Pat

13 hours ago, Pat Atkins said:

Is there significance in the lack of collar dogs for the Provost Sergeant? I see he has light infantry shoulder titles so assume DLI. I ask because I still find it hard to tell rule from exception (and I suspect I never will, really).

Cheers, Pat

It’s because unlike the others he’s wearing blue patrols, Pat.  Collar badges were not generally worn on the first patterns (both officers and other ranks) of blue patrols, but they were on scarlet tunics and frocks.  Superb photo.

Edited by FROGSMILE

The sergeant is the only man wearing a private purchase [or unit-sponsored purchase] approved blue patrol, all the others are in versions of the India Pattern scarlet  frock, tailored on the unit for smartness. What went on to the blue patrol was more or less unit preference. Soldiers in India were very well paid by local standards and could indulge in  tailoring. If a private was on the official married list the family had a much higher standard of living than in Blighty.

[and was still the case in overseas posts in year 2000, complicated by working wives having difficulty obtaining jobs away from Home]

SNAP!

Edited by Muerrisch
Frogsmile beat me to it

8 hours ago, 58 Div Mule said:

Two Dehli Durbar medals being worn?

58 DM

I think they are George V Coronation Medals.   Pete.

Thanks, gents, very informative as ever. 

Pat

The GPS also has Regimental buttons on his patrols.  The card is very badly damaged but all the important details  come out rather well. 

IMG_20190623_074958.jpg.e7518f66a0d265d2cee870c2ac7e3cd0.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

just wondering about the placement of the GMP/GPS insignia, shown worn left and right arms???

1 hour ago, robins2 said:

just wondering about the placement of the GMP/GPS insignia, shown worn left and right arms???

It’s been mentioned before in a thread specifically relating to R(M)P.  In essence it generally relates to hierarchy.  In this case NCOs right cuff and private’s or equivalents left cuff.  In other cases just the provost sergeant might have his armlet on the other side to the rest of his section.

Edited by FROGSMILE

13 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

It’s been mentioned before in a thread specifically relating to R(M)P.  In essence it generally relates to hierarchy.  In this case NCOs right cuff and private’s or equivalents left cuff.  In other cases just the provost sergeant might have his armlet on the other side to the rest of his section.

In the first years of the C20th, both the MMP and MFP, armlets were worn on the right cuff by members of the Corps. Probationers (and probably "lent" men wore them on the left arm just above the elbow. 

Cheers,

Richard

57 minutes ago, Provost said:

In the first years of the C20th, both the MMP and MFP, armlets were worn on the right cuff by members of the Corps. Probationers (and probably "lent" men wore them on the left arm just above the elbow. 

Cheers,

Richard

Thanks Richard, I was referring to Regiment (cav) Battery and Battalion domestic police under Provost Sergeants, rather than MMP and MFP.  GMP were formed by combining such men.  

This forum has been going such  a long time that these things get resurrected as each new generation takes an interest. As you’ll see, myself and a few fellow enthusiasts such as Muerrisch (aka Grumpy) have been researching and writing about this for rather a long time.  

The differences are well explained.  See:

Edited by FROGSMILE

Frank Ingham Photographer, Brooks Bar, Manchester.

. Territorial camp, showing mainly Royal Engineers;  tug of war and boxing. The man second from left in the boxing crowd has an efficiency star on show, the lad sitting just to the right of the fighters looks to be sporting a Manchester cap badge.

XX (3).jpg

XX (4).jpg

Photo by E.Searson, Aylsham.

A Squadron, Montgomeryshire Yeomanry. Blickling Hall, Aylsham, Norfolk. 1915.

XX (5).jpg

10 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

with a lovely pub next door, and a strong RAF presence in WW II.

Thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...

9 days without a post! 

Unsent Postcard, I bought this one purely for the unit made Maxim carriage, a bonus that it turned out to be Artist Rifles! The reverse reads. "this was taken while we were painting up our gun carriage. We also did the limber but that is not in the picture".

941266650_artistsMAximMG.jpg.9605300ae366271a65fe591f1d5257ec.jpg

2096420796_artistsMAximMG2.jpg.9673e4db592328effa10933b2457759d.jpg

109987831_artistsMAximMG3.jpg.39a5a75ec85643ad24b236ed41984b32.jpg

I see that both patterns of the cap badge are being worn there, very interesting.  Pete.

Edited by CorporalPunishment

4 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

I see that both patterns of the cap badge are being worn there, very interesting.  Pete.

Yes, super postcard, 

Is the chap in the overalls wearing the white metal, and the others the brass, is that right?

Chris 

Chris, three of them are wearing the pattern of cap badge with the full "Artists Rifles" title on the scroll, the man second from the right is wearing the other pattern with just the word "Artists" on a shorter scroll.  Pete.

22 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Chris, three of them are wearing the pattern of cap badge with the full "Artists Rifles" title on the scroll, the man second from the right is wearing the other pattern with just the word "Artists" on a shorter scroll.  Pete.

That's it Pete, cheers for that, it's a lovely cap badge that one.

Chris