Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

8 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

In the Colour image pistol order is on the right.  In the two photos (one including the Prince of Wales) the pistol is worn tucked right around on the right hip and the supporting brace is clear.  Armband is on the right upper arm.  Balancing the pistol holster is a small ammunition pouch on the opposite side of the waist belt. In the second photo we see the initial securing of prisoners of war, a military police role.

88708C2A-B555-48F5-AF6F-F68371DFEBC5.jpeg

B630ED2F-00CE-459C-8F70-C42E31287974.jpeg

A5177D69-A48B-461C-99C3-EE2EDD0D70B5.jpeg

61A87F3D-1069-4147-92A2-A4AB879268E9.jpeg

Excellent as usual FROGSMILE, thank you, appreciated 

Chris 

19 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

It was indeed,  it is the typical MMP tack setup also.   

If he is a probationer or a "lent man" its a rather rare picture indeed, certainly all the clues point to him being so.  It is not uncommon for the Infantry to transfer into the MMP rather than MFP. 

So far, fifteen men of the North Staffs have been identified as transferring into the MMP. Five of them on 1st October 1916, and the rest from late 1918 to 1919. He could, of course have been one of those attached rather than transferred. As would be expected, a higher number (more than 60) men of the North Staffs were transferred into the MFP.

Cheers,

Richard

On 13/05/2019 at 17:47, Dragoon said:

He appears to be wearing a leather cross belt or Sam brown type belt over his left shoulder, is this another clue to the MMP side of things?

Chris

Hi Chris 

its a strap supporting pistol which came on the list of changes on 15. However they are earlier images of it around. It’s generally 3/4 inch wide with either a steel roller buckle or brass buckle of varying styles. The section which goes through the belt loop on the pistol case is thinned and blocked into a round section for about 4-6 inches.

Images can be seen with it going through the belt loop when the case is worn on the belt so it sits high on the hip and others with the case hanging on the strap and the strap going under the belt.

Toby and I both have various images of both being worn.

regards 

Royal Marine and Royal Marine Artillery. The same studio as the KRRC.

Scan0217.jpg

Should that not be Royal Marine Light Infantry and Royal Marine Artillery? I thought they merged to become the Royal Marine corps in 1923.

2 hours ago, Jools mckenna said:

Royal Marine and Royal Marine Artillery.

4 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Should that not be Royal Marine Light Infantry 

Sorry, I meant RMLI.

I thought it was probably a slip like that, seemed unlikely you would get it wrong!

3 hours ago, Dave1418 said:

Hi Chris 

its a strap supporting pistol which came on the list of changes on 15. However they are earlier images of it around. It’s generally 3/4 inch wide with either a steel roller buckle or brass buckle of varying styles. The section which goes through the belt loop on the pistol case is thinned and blocked into a round section for about 4-6 inches.

Images can be seen with it going through the belt loop when the case is worn on the belt so it sits high on the hip and others with the case hanging on the strap and the strap going under the belt.

Toby and I both have various images of both being worn.

regards 

Super detail Dave, thank you.

Every day is a school day on this site!

FROGSMILE has done some images above, if it's ok with you could you PM some images explaining the differences, so it's not too much off topic on the postcards side of things 

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Dragoon

Royal Engineer signaler.

Scan0221.jpg

I'm not sure which HMS London(or maybe they all happen to be from London) this photo is from.

Scan0219.jpg

4 hours ago, Jools mckenna said:

I'm not sure which HMS London(or maybe they all happen to be from London) this photo is from.

It’s fun to try and pick out the Marines, both RMA and RMLI in amongst the group, all wearing Brodrick caps with white ‘Summer’ covers.

As regards London, I wonder if it was a photo produced as an interest piece for a London focused periodical.

Edited by FROGSMILE

There certainly was an HMS LONDON (1899), lead ship of the LONDON class of battleships. To me it looks more like an impromptu crew photo than a selection of London citizens - that stoker in the front looks as if he's been hauled straight from the engines.

1 hour ago, seaJane said:

There certainly was an HMS LONDON (1899), lead ship of the LONDON class of battleships. To me it looks more like an impromptu crew photo than a selection of London citizens - that stoker in the front looks as if he's been hauled straight from the engines.

You could well be right SeaJane.  If we can blow the photo up enough we might be able to read a cap tally.

Edited by FROGSMILE

The gent at top centre with arm round the gun has his other arm in a sling under his jacket.
No days off on the sick in the Navy.

Dear All,

Here are Postcards or Prints which document the metamorphosis of a Corporal, No. 1088, to Officer.

He (Sidney Boddy), had been a pre-War volunteer with the Queens Westminster Rifles, and was an Old Contemptible (wounded, 1/16 Londons), shown in France with two friends..

Following recovery, he was commissioned 29 Sep 1915 into the 3/5 E. Surrey Regt., training soldiers for the Front and introduced to the Horse.

Even later, he joined the IARO in 1918 1632784999_SidneyBoddypre-War.jpg.89d5ccbfdedd6de5fbefc174ba434202.jpg40787072_GWFwithSidneyBoddypre-War.jpg.2c045293a075c5b65200aea90250903b.jpg901347630_QWFpre-War.jpg.44b6fc16277d69f03204a8b1654dc57c.jpg1167161341_1-16LondonsFrance1915.jpg.7931333e21aac847d37e80394fb1dc80.jpg484323096_2ndLieutSidneyBoddy.jpg.c741f11c1b709a2f0a343e0464dc1918.jpg248626243_LieutS.M.Boddy.jpg.e5c9480ae6ad176e00d39502c65715fc.jpg1476373888_CaptBoddy.jpg.bd782cf02da7cac6c8af58e8699d7d22.jpg2145904101_CaptSMBoddy.jpg.6ce06357558b6eecc3d8e4321a324f64.jpg1236735779_Boddy1918.jpg.553c56e9d7ba46dd3d1bb9306d52d961.jpgand saw service with 2/94 Russell's Infantry in Waziristan and Persia...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

10 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear All,

Here are Postcards or Prints which document the metamorphosis of a Corporal, No. 1088, to Officer.

He (Sidney Boddy), had been a pre-War volunteer with the Queens Westminster Rifles, and was an Old Contemptible (wounded, 1/16 Londons), shown in France with two friends..

Following recovery, he was commissioned 29 Sep 1915 into the 3/5 E. Surrey Regt., training soldiers for the Front and introduced to the Horse.

Even later, he joined the IARO in 1918 

Superb Kim!

Thank you for sharing.

Chris

PS: I'm surprised he's not wearing his Star medal ribbon 

Edited by Dragoon

Great set of pictures, interesting to see a story told so to speak; thanks for putting them up. Those East Surrey collar dogs look huge, for some reason.

Pat

It’s odd that he served only with a 3rd line TF infantry battalion after recovering from wounds, suggesting a low medical grading, and yet was subsequently able to serve actively with an Indian unit, which suggests a good recovery given the demanding nature of frontier campaigning.  Also nary a sign of a wound stripe, or medal ribbon, as Chris has pointed out.  I’m not implying that there’s anything awry, just that it seems odd.  More to learn about him methinks.

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 hours ago, Dragoon said:

Superb Kim!

Thank you for sharing.

Chris

PS: I'm surprised he's not wearing his Star medal ribbon 

Several VERY rare scout badges, India Pattern, worn at HOME.

Thank you.

I can see a wound stripe on the photos of him in his Service dress, but not in the bottom photo in India.

Chris

2 hours ago, Dragoon said:

I can see a wound stripe on the photos of him in his Service dress, but not in the bottom photo in India.

Chris

Yes, you’re right, it’s a poor view of it but like you I can just about see it on his SD as a captain.

I am surprised he is not wearing his 1914 Star or Mons Star ribbon, Kim says he was an Old Contemptible, they wore the ribbons with pride. 

Still, a great set of photos!

Chris

Dear All,

The story ended rather sadly, which is why I did not initially include it. However, the sequel answers some of the questions posed by members.

After the end of the Great War and campaigning in Waziristan and Persia, Sidney Boddy ended up in Rawalpindi. There a 2/94 Russell's Infantry officers group photo was taken in 1919. The gentlemen wore various bits of ribbons (including the MC worn by an unidentified recipient) - and with Capt Boddy wearing his 14 Star ribbon. This latter had been belatedly authorised some time in 1918. Capt Boddy, IARO, was "Released" as late as 31 December 1919 and returned to his wife and family. However, in India he had caught a disease with a long incubation time. This manifested itself years later in the UK and he died prematurely under particularly 979177706_2-94RussellsInfantryOffrsRawalpindi1919CaptBoddyfrontfarright.jpg.e5ec2684e17e08ae9ce6a0e27afa38ea.jpg1379135900_CaptBoddygroup.jpg.3931a0243a9eb1828e20cc7137755e07.jpgdistressing circumstances...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

6 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear All,

The story ended rather sadly, which is why I did not initially include it. However, the sequel answers some of the questions posed by members.

After the end of the Great War and campaigning in Waziristan and Persia, Sidney Boddy ended up in Rawalpindi. There a 2/94 Russell's Infantry officers group photo was taken in 1919. The gentlemen wore various bits of ribbons (including the MC worn by an unidentified recipient) - and with Capt Boddy wearing his 14 Star ribbon. This latter had been belatedly authorised some time in 1918. Capt Boddy, IARO, was "Released" as late as 31 December 1919 and returned to his wife and family. However, in India he had caught a disease with a long incubation time. This manifested itself years later in the UK and he died prematurely under particularly 979177706_2-94RussellsInfantryOffrsRawalpindi1919CaptBoddyfrontfarright.jpg.e5ec2684e17e08ae9ce6a0e27afa38ea.jpgdistressing circumstances...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Thank you Kim for sharing, 

What a sad sad ending to Sidney's life, and how awful for his family.

Sadly, so many men returned home from the horrors of war only to be struck down by some horrible disease.

It makes sense now the 14 Star, he had to claim it because someone said he's wasn't entitled to it, I'm glad he won his battle for that.

Fantastic last photo, a superb story, thank you again 

Chris