Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

" Hants Brigade Coy: A.S.C. (T.F.) Bulford Camp"  Posted. Salisbury; 10/7/12.  to. Miss A(my) Stokes. Newport Rd. Aldershot. Hants.  - Yours,  Frank.

7th Battalion Hampshire Regiment . Posted Salisbury; 10/7/12.  to  Mr Sam Sudbury. W.S. Home. Enshott? Camp. Farnham. Surrey.  -  So ta ta,  Fred. 

Scan_20180206.jpg

Scan_20180209 (2).jpg

Hi,

German Pionier with saw-tooth bayonet A colleague told me that it is a 84/98 new form with saw. The Pioniere in 1915 got 10 S84/98 n.A.S per company,

GreyC

5a82d6adb0797_Pionier_Sagezahnbajonett_14091916.jpeg.11a6aaa941bdcf2a8094213d9b69c9a8.jpeg5a82d6af9a984_Pionier_Sagezahnbajonett_D.jpeg.a0942dbe395f41664e3e80f6aa34f7ff.jpeg

Seitengewehr 84/98 neuer Art Säge

Look time no see. I haven't posted in this thread for awhile. 215 pages, getting to be a record for GWF.

Here is one from my collection.

TT

IMG_2658.JPG

On 16 January 2018 at 22:02, GWF1967 said:

Limber Gunners. 107th Battery Royal Field Artillery. The Bombardier, right hand end, has 3 good conduct stripe and an Artificer's badge, the man behind a Gun Layer's badge.

Scan_20180107.jpg

No.49003 (11144) Acting Sergeant Harry Kilmister.  Born in Cheltenham, He enlisted with the 7th Gloucestershire Regiment on 31st Aug 1914 and fought at Gallipoli, where he was a survivor of the attempt to take Chunuk Bair.  Recuperated in Egypt, but transferred to the Royal Defence Corps with a 20% disability.  Survived the war and died at the age of 77 in Cheltenham.

image.jpg

8 hours ago, trenchtrotter said:

Look time no see. I haven't posted in this thread for awhile. 215 pages, getting to be a record for GWF.

Here is one from my collection.

TT

IMG_2658.JPG

Nice card.

we've been keeping your thread warm for you.

Edited by GWF1967

Harry's younger brother No. PS 2894 Private Reginald Kilmister of the Royal Fusiliers (Public Schools).  Landed in France 14 Nov 1915.  Wounded 1916, but thankfully survived the war.

Both Harry and Reginald were sons of Mr and Mrs W H Kilmister of 10 Priory Terrace, Cheltenham.

image.jpg

42 minutes ago, wmfinch said:

No.49003 (11144) Acting Sergeant Harry Kilmister.  Born in Cheltenham, He enlisted with the 7th Gloucestershire Regiment on 31st Aug 1914 and fought at Gallipoli, where he was a survivor of the attempt to take Chunuk Bair.  Recuperated in Egypt, but transferred to the Royal Defence Corps with a 20% disability.  Survived the war and died at the age of 77 in Cheltenham.

image.jpg

His cap badge does not appear to be either Gloucestershire Regt, or RDC, which seems odd given the history you have outlined.

2 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Nice card.

we've been keeping your thread warm for you.

Interesting photo. Looks to be a Pte in the MGC armed with a pistol which makes sense as part of a gun crew a rifle would have been in the way if he was ammo carrier or fired the gun. Thanks for posting it.

On 2/9/2018 at 21:59, GWF1967 said:

" Hants Brigade Coy: A.S.C. (T.F.) Bulford Camp"  Posted. Salisbury; 10/7/12.  to. Miss A(my) Stokes. Newport Rd. Aldershot. Hants.  - Yours,  Frank.

7th Battalion Hampshire Regiment . Posted Salisbury; 10/7/12.  to  Mr Sam Sudbury. W.S. Home. Enshott? Camp. Farnham. Surrey.  -  So ta ta,  Fred. 

Scan_20180206.jpg

Scan_20180209 (2).jpg

I have searched here in vain for the elusive Brigade Supply Depot badge,  trefoil and crown, intro 1896. It was only 5 other ranks and an officer per ASC brigade, so the chances are slim.

Hello Frogsmile,

Harry's Medal Index Card states he was a Corporal in the 7th Gloucesters and an Acting Sergeant in the RDC.

I have always assumed the Cap Badge was RDC as it is definitely not Gloucesters.

If it isn't RDC, I don't know.

It is definitely him as the picture was sent to me by his great nephew who is my 3rd cousin. 

V/R

Wayne

image.jpg

Looks rather like an RE cap badge, and could that be a grenade above his sergeant's stripes? Although the centre of the badge doesn't quite look right for RE, somehow. Appreciate it doesn't fit with his MIC but then, as has been said, the cap badge isn't RDC or Gloucesters.

Is there a small flaming grenade above his stripes on the SD? 

On 16 January 2018 at 22:02, GWF1967 said:

Limber Gunners. 107th Battery Royal Field Artillery. The Bombardier, right hand end, has 3 good conduct stripe and an Artificer's badge, the man behind a Gun Layer's badge.

Scan_20180107.jpg

Hi Tony, Pat, Frogsmile and Everyone,

If the cap badge is Royal Engineers, or any other outfit, is it possible that soldiers transferred to the RDC were attached to other Regiments.  I believe Harry was transferred to Middlesex, but I don't think it looks like a Middlesex Regt badge either.  This is pure conjecture, but if the Royal Engineers were working on home projects, could that explain things?

V/R

Wayne

I agree with Pat and Toby that his Insignia indicates RE.  I do not know if the RDC had any RE subsidiary units.  More to research methinks.

I've Googled around but haven't as yet found any suggestion of subsidiary RE units of the RDC; the Corps appears to have been organised into Reserve and Protection Companies, and seems to have guarded vulnerable locations, munitions factories and POW camps, etc. Doesn't mean the RE connection is dead and buried, of course. I wonder if a separate thread might entice in an expert or two? On the Forum, I've come across knowledgeable posts on the RDC from GrahamStewart.

Is there a possibility of service with the RE which is not captured on MIC and Medal Rolls, or even of some post-War service? The Medal Rolls make no mention of any unit other than 7th Gloucesters and RDC, as Wayne has said. It's a mystery. As to post-War, in addition to that 20% disability I note no ribbon medals in the photo, and also Harry's rather relaxed 'wartime' look. Mind you, I should think surviving the defence of Chunuk Bair would put everyday problems into a certain perspective.  

Hello Guys,

Regarding Harry Kilmister, do you think his cap badge MAY be Royal Army Service Corps?  I also noticed that the badge is slightly askew on his cap.  Would that fit in better with home front  activities of the RDC?  Pure conjecture of course.  According to my 3rd Cousin, Harry became a heavy drinker, so that may be reflected in his relaxed demeanour.

I have left a message with my cousin to make sure the photo is actually of Harry, but I have checked the MICs for his other brothers (spelling his surname by the correct Kilmister and incorrect Kilminster), and no one comes up, so I believe it is almost certainly him.

On Find My Past, I have discovered his Medical History, and although it is hard to read, at the bottom it says he was transferred from the Gloucesters to 1/HS GarB Middlesex with a Regimental Number of G28548 (I think)!  It's not on his MIC but the Medical History is definitely his because the crossed out Gloucesters number is correct.

Does that make any sense or answer the question?  I'm wondering if his MIC is incorrect?

V/R

Wayne

1 hour ago, wmfinch said:

Hello Guys,

Regarding Harry Kilmister, do you think his cap badge MAY be Royal Army Service Corps?  I also noticed that the badge is slightly askew on his cap.  Would that fit in better with home front  activities of the RDC?  Pure conjecture of course.  According to my 3rd Cousin, Harry became a heavy drinker, so that may be reflected in his relaxed demeanour.

I have left a message with my cousin to make sure the photo is actually of Harry, but I have checked the MICs for his other brothers (spelling his surname by the correct Kilmister and incorrect Kilminster), and no one comes up, so I believe it is almost certainly him.

On Find My Past, I have discovered his Medical History, and although it is hard to read, at the bottom it says he was transferred from the Gloucesters to 1/HS GarB Middlesex with a Regimental Number of G28548 (I think)!  It's not on his MIC but the Medical History is definitely his because the crossed out Gloucesters number is correct.

Does that make any sense or answer the question?  I'm wondering if his MIC is incorrect?

V/R

Wayne

I’m 100% convinced that the photo you have posted shows a sergeant in the RE, as Pat and Toby have pointed out, the Insignia is unmistakable, both in cap badge shape and gm grenade above sergeant’s stripes, as is regulation for RE.  Are you positive it’s the right man?

The Middlesex Regt HD Garrison battalion connection to the RDC makes sense, as the HD Garrison duties were handed over between line Garrison battalions and the RDC, as Graham Stewart has explained in another thread.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, Pat Atkins said:

I've Googled around but haven't as yet found any suggestion of subsidiary RE units of the RDC; the Corps appears to have been organised into Reserve and Protection Companies, and seems to have guarded vulnerable locations, munitions factories and POW camps, etc. Doesn't mean the RE connection is dead and buried, of course. I wonder if a separate thread might entice in an expert or two? On the Forum, I've come across knowledgeable posts on the RDC from GrahamStewart.

Is there a possibility of service with the RE which is not captured on MIC and Medal Rolls, or even of some post-War service? The Medal Rolls make no mention of any unit other than 7th Gloucesters and RDC, as Wayne has said. It's a mystery. As to post-War, in addition to that 20% disability I note no ribbon medals in the photo, and also Harry's rather relaxed 'wartime' look. Mind you, I should think surviving the defence of Chunuk Bair would put everyday problems into a certain perspective.  

It does seem very odd Pat, and I am wondering if we are looking at the right man.

Hello Everyone,

My Cousin is on a course for a few days, so I've left a message with his wife about the photograph.  Hopefully, he will have time to contact me in the next week.  As soon as I have any info, I'll share it with you.

Thank you so much for your interest.

V/R

Wayne

I think that the “WAAC” title is actually QMAAC: Queen Mary’s Auxiliary Army Corps.  The WAAC existed in India.