Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

The one-armed officer, center of seated row, in the photo of the Norfolks is Lt Col Charle Maurice Jickling, CO, 3 (Special Reserve) Bn, Norfolk Regt July 1917 to July 1919.  Jickling was a Boer War vet with 3 (Militia) Bn, Norfolk Regt, a unit he commanded from 1904 to 1910, and a senior member of the Surrey Home Guard in WW2.  His OBE post dates this photo.  Jickling youngest child, Benjamin, born 30 Jun 1917, was a Captain in the Royal Norfolk Regiment, was accidentally shot and killed in 1944 by US forces.  

A very nice picture, thank you.

Rob.

15 minutes ago, rob carman said:

The one-armed officer, center of seated row, in the photo of the Norfolks is Lt Col Charle Maurice Jickling, CO, 3 (Special Reserve) Bn, Norfolk Regt July 1917 to July 1919.  Jickling was a Boer War vet with 3 (Militia) Bn, Norfolk Regt, a unit he commanded from 1904 to 1910, and a senior member of the Surrey Home Guard in WW2.  His OBE post dates this photo.  Jickling youngest child, Benjamin, born 30 Jun 1917, was a Captain in the Royal Norfolk Regiment, was accidentally shot and killed in 1944 by US forces.  

A very nice picture, thank you.

Rob.

Thank you for the identification and additional information r.e Lt Col. Jickling Rob.  Great stuff.

"With Best Wishes from Maurice. Sinai Peninsula & Palestine & Egypt. 12/7/17"

Maurice Ormond Griffiths. B. 1889, Lawrenny, Pembrokeshire.

Enlisted. - 24/1/1916, . Perth Western Australia.   Pte. 2350.  Australian Light Horse.   

Transferred to Depot, Units of Supply, Anzac Mounted Division. 9/9/1916

Taken on strength. - 34 Coy. A & NZ Div Train. A.A.S.C.  - T/W.O I.

Advised K.i.A. - 13/10/17.   Report of death incorrect. - 5/11/17

D. - 7/6/1967.  Western Australia.

s-l1600.jpg

There looks to be some heavy editing or cut and paste arround the heads of the rear rank in the  Essex Tug of War photo.

Bob

Edited by RobertBr
identify comment as being on the Tug of War photo

29 minutes ago, RobertBr said:

There looks to be some heavy editing or cut and paste arround the heads of the rear rank in the  Essex Tug of War photo.

Bob

The original photo is poorly exposed; I have played with the contrast, which I'm sure is causing the cut and paste halo effect. 

Bit of an oddity here!  Very scruffy men of the AGSH (?)with real mix of equipment including Frocks, 1888 Equipment , Long Lees (not CLLEs) and one Mk111 SMLE.  

Postmark on rear 1915?!

I would welcome thoughts on this being an earlier image or if these chaps are Kitchener Recruits given the range of uniforms, their general appearance and equipment they seem to have been issued with! 

Regards

Toby 

Mess.jpg

Kitchener recruits at a time when ‘ready’ stocks of khaki had run out and every scrap of old uniform was being utilised I think, Toby.

Royal Artillery recruits, some wearing flat caps, mastering the broomstick.

Scan_20180318.jpg

T - R.F.A - Devon.  3rd Section.

Scan_20180404.jpg

On 4/3/2018 at 10:41, FROGSMILE said:

Kitchener recruits at a time when ‘ready’ stocks of khaki had run out and every scrap of old uniform was being utilised I think, Toby.

...and with what appears to be English regiment red frocks with white facings.

207 R.G.A  " Battery Football, 1914 - 18".

Scan_20180405 (3).jpg

On 05/04/2018 at 22:26, gordon92 said:

...and with what appears to be English regiment red frocks with white facings.

Indeed, They really have been given the dregs!

On 05/04/2018 at 23:34, GWF1967 said:

207 R.G.A  " Battery Football, 1914 - 18".

The 2Lt clearly a man commissioned from the ranks with fair bit of previous service.

8 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

Indeed, They really have been given the dregs!

:D

Royal Artillery, a couple of Anzac troops and a French liaison officer?

Scan_20180404 (5).jpg

Middlesex in France!

12thmiddlesex.jpeg

King's Royal Rifle Corps (?)

riflebois.jpeg

2 hours ago, AmericanTommy said:

King's Royal Rifle Corps (?)

riflebois.jpeg

Could be KRRC but greatcoats don't give much away despite (mostly) blackened buttons, and the cap badges are too indistinct to differentiate confidently between KRRC and the various London Regt etc. battalions that used the KRRC-style maltese cross.

A couple of the men bear a resemblance to men in a postcard in my own KRRC collection, but unfortunately I have no names for them,nor even a definite battalion.  See what you think ...

5acab1cb7a6d4_Rifleman01a.jpeg.611ce3726b227bc52fedf3f8e6f35228.jpeg5acab1ce15289_Rifleman01b.jpg.891a2ebb5628a324d32329db6a32781a.jpg

5acab1cc32254_Rifleman02a.jpeg.3cdf6244503afe0a0f09225da33cf818.jpeg  5acab1cd2c1ce_Rifleman02b.jpg.d04baf1142145befd22f73d87d409353.jpg

Mark

The seemingly short shoulder title suggests KRRC, rather than the 3-rows more common with a London Regiment battalion, although late in war cloth titles became more prevalent.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Nice shot of a Limbered Wagon of the KRRC.  Note the large Mule team, the Mules are probably of American Origin. 

Mule Wagon.jpg

14 hours ago, MBrockway said:

Could be KRRC but greatcoats don't give much away despite (mostly) blackened buttons, and the cap badges are too indistinct to differentiate confidently between KRRC and the various London Regt etc. battalions that used the KRRC-style maltese cross.

A couple of the men bear a resemblance to men in a postcard in my own KRRC collection, but unfortunately I have no names for them,nor even a definite battalion.  See what you think ...

5acab1cb7a6d4_Rifleman01a.jpeg.611ce3726b227bc52fedf3f8e6f35228.jpeg5acab1ce15289_Rifleman01b.jpg.891a2ebb5628a324d32329db6a32781a.jpg

5acab1cc32254_Rifleman02a.jpeg.3cdf6244503afe0a0f09225da33cf818.jpeg  5acab1cd2c1ce_Rifleman02b.jpg.d04baf1142145befd22f73d87d409353.jpg

Mark

I see a very clear resemblance! (Though I'm no expert!) Very cool.

3 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

Nice shot of a Limbered Wagon of the KRRC.  Note the large Mule team, the Mules are probably of American Origin. 

Lovely image Toby - rare to get pictures of KRRC riflemen in the mounted role.  Much appreciated!

Mark

4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The seemingly short shoulder title suggests KRRC, rather than the 3-rows more common with a London Regiment battalion, although late in war cloth titles became more prevalent.

Yep - my feeling is they are almost certainly a unit from the KRRC

17 minutes ago, AmericanTommy said:

I see a very clear resemblance! (Though I'm no expert!) Very cool.

Is there anything helpful on the back of the image? 

Mark

2 hours ago, MBrockway said:

Is there anything helpful on the back of the image? 

Mark

Sadly not. Some scribbling but not much legible.

R.A. Gunners. O/S stripes date it to 1918.

R.F.A.  " What the YMCA buns can do, that's the stuff to gee um"

Scan_20180405 (2).jpg

Scan_20180405.jpg

T.F Battalion of the Cheshire Regt.   Wearing the "commercial, TF" Web Equipment. 

cheshire tf.jpg

cheshire tf1.JPG