Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

3 hours ago, daggers said:

Harking back to the RGA Band, post #5314, I have a few observations.

The bandsmen appear to have anklets or gaiters rather than puttees.

Lots of brass instruments, with a few woodwind at rear.

Spare music in tunic pockets?

Marching columns with rifles: are they wearing white belts?

D

Gaiters were on general issue to RGA as they were categorised as a dismounted corps.  They also had the infantry style white belts for the same reason.

Definitely MMP/MFP, I believe, and both men seem to have a medal ribbon.  The badge on the RE Sgt’s helmet still appears to be metal, but I cannot quite make out its exact form.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Definitely MMP/MFP, I believe, and both men seem to have a medal ribbon.  The badge on the RE Sgt’s helmet still appears to be metal, but I cannot quite make out its exact form.

Yes 100% Military Police.  Mounted Field Service Boots and the Pistol Supporting Strap usually an indication of the MMP. A very nice image that we need for the archive here at the Museum!!!

Edited by Toby Brayley

48 minutes ago, Grovetown said:

One of my favourite pairs of postcards - same chap, and either a spy or a very satisfied souvenir hunter!

Sargeant Souvenir.jpg

Cousins? 🤗

3 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Cousins? 🤗

The man in British uniform appears to be from the School of Musketry, Hythe (or outstations).

I wonder if Baldrick asked him "Are you a spy?"?

17 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The man in British uniform appears to be from the School of Musketry, Hythe (or outstations).

Or could he be a csgt musketry instructor?

39 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

Or could he be a csgt musketry instructor?

I cannot be 100% sure but I do not think so, as all the CSgts photos I have seen, invariably seem to have a separate cloth crown, or in any case a separate crown.  The SofM appear to have adopted the conjoined large crown and rifles as a single badge, with Sergeant Instructors using a small crown.  I am unsure when the corps ceased using rifles and crown always as a one piece badge.  The shoulder title was a slightly curved SofM and that too is what I think I can see, albeit with an oblique and unclear view.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Neil Dewar Rice.  Commissioned. 14/8/1914. -  F+F. 1/10/14.  2Lt. 1st Buffs.  - T/Lt. 15/11/14. - Lt. 17/5/15. - A/Maj. 27/12/16. - Capt. 1/1/17. - Adjt. 8th Buffs. 20/1/17 - 17/11/17. 

A fellow officer in the 8th Buffs was the artist Ernest Stafford Carlos ( an early supporter of the Scout movement and founder of the 107th (London) Troop),  who first served as Pte.  6160. 16th London Reg. He was commissioned 23/1/17. 

During the build up to Third Ypres Carlos produced twenty paintings, Capt. Rice features in a watercolour entitled "Three Officers playing cards at poperinghe". https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/pt/ViewPhoto.aspx?tid=64970099&pid=48131805916&iid=197bbed6-b1c6-4fe9-b280-117b4f9319c3&src=search., thought to be the last he painted.  Ernest Stafford Carlos was K.i.A on 14/6/17 during an assault on a spoil heap near Zillebeke, later know as "Buffs Bank".

A family memorial window in Holy Cross Church, Hornchuch reproduces an earlier painting "The Pathfinder" depicting a young Scout, with the hand of Christ on his shoulder. Several other churches  have a Pathfinder window. 

Edit. I shared the photograph with the decendents of N.D.Rice, they are keen to trace and potentially buy back his medal group.  In 2011 they sold as lot 883 at Dix Noonan Webb https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/lot-archive/lot.php?department=Medals&lot_id=198397

Scan_20180131.jpg

Edited by GWF1967

On 16 January 2018 at 22:02, GWF1967 said:

Limber Gunners. 107th Battery Royal Field Artillery. The Bombardier, right hand end, has 3 good conduct stripe and an Artificer's badge, the man behind a Gun Layer's badge.

Scan_20180107.jpg

Being a fan of railways and an active amateur researcher of the Royal Field Artillery, I love this picture.

The chalked 'leave train' and 'any more for blighty' really brings out the dark humour of the troops, especially with the gunner also pretending to drive the loco.  I wonder if it had been used for target practice?  Any railway experts know the builder of the narrow gauge loco?

V/R

Wayne

image.jpg

Volunteer Training Corps. What is interesting here is he is armed with the .303 VTC carbine (with Rigby Nose Cap). He carries the short 1856/58 bayonet as issued to Cadets, VTC (here) and OTC. Bushed to fit the Martini Henry so it wouldn't even fit the rifle! 

VTC.jpg.bd708a5cdfc26f03397415e2bee8aae9.jpg

Note the modification to the Frog for use with the 1903 waist belt.

5a7b0e726ce75_VTCclose.jpg.0e2448037edf884f7df48b298ca73267.jpg

On 06/02/2018 at 17:02, FROGSMILE said:

I cannot be 100% sure but I do not think so, as all the CSgts photos I have seen, invariably seem to have a separate cloth crown, or in any case a separate crown.  The SofM appear to have adopted the conjoined large crown and rifles as a single badge, with Sergeant Instructors using a small crown.  I am unsure when the corps ceased using rifles and crown always as a one piece badge.  The shoulder title was a slightly curved SofM and that too is what I think I can see, albeit with an oblique and unclear view.

Yes

Highly likely ..... the one-piece escaped me.

Territorials of the Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derbys) prior to a route march. For the eagle eyed there are lots of nice details in this image: Civilian Shirts, the rare 1st issue waterbottle carrier (with aluminium waterbottles), early haversacks and an usual mix of Long Lees (part converted) and Charger Loading Lee Enfields.

unkown TF1.jpg

Same bunch but on a pause in their march. 

unkown TF2.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 09:20, FROGSMILE said:

The medal ribbon on the first man looks to be the Meritorious Service Medal.

13 hours ago, Loader said:

The medal ribbon on the first man looks to be the Meritorious Service Medal.

He would have had to be quite old, it was only eligible for men who already possessed the LSGC. Many men in the MMP/MFP were older than average, as it was then a requirement that they had served in another corps first.

Edited by FROGSMILE

12 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

He would have had to be quite old, it was only eligible for men who already possessed the LSGC. Many men in the MMP/MFP were older than average, as it was then a requirement that they had served in another corps first.

That is the one with the annuity. The MSM I'm referring to is the one awarded for good service usually not involving combat. There were thousands awarded in WW1 & many to Corps troops likw ASC, etc. Like an MM but not for combat. Maybe someone with more knowledge can add to this basic idea. Interesting photos in any case.