Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

On 1/20/2018 at 20:15, AmericanTommy said:

5thincamp.jpg.e8c28b666f8640b7c1647d30ec0466e2.jpg5th Seaforth Highlanders in camp at Wick.

Great photo.  Is there a date indicated?

On 1/21/2018 at 01:15, AmericanTommy said:

5thincamp.jpg.e8c28b666f8640b7c1647d30ec0466e2.jpg5th Seaforth Highlanders in camp at Wick.

Great photo, evocative of a TF annual training camp.  The beer looks like Newcastle Brown Ale in a type of bottle still available today.  Note the swagger sticks.  Some typically young lads in the group.  The exact same mallet is still issued in the Army for tentage today, a good example of timeless design.  Braces (US suspenders) were not elastic at that time (rubber was expensive) and were made of canvas.  Soldiers would often let them hang down if bending and stretching to carry out physical chores.

Edited by FROGSMILE

A couple of personal photos in case they're of interest to forum members.  The first is my Granddad, Gnr Henry Haselden (218040), Royal Garrison Artillery.  I believe the second shows Henry's younger brother, Pte John Haselden (41463), South Wales Borderers.  The photos are placed back-to-back in a pendant that I believe belonged to my Great-Grandmother, Elizabeth Haselden (nee Pickavance). 

Clearly the photos were colourized.  It's one of the few contemporary keepsakes I have of my family's First World War service.

The cap badge in John Haselden's photo looks to me like the South Wales Borderers but I'd appreciate any more informed opinions.

Cheers,
Mark

Henry Haselden (218040) Royal Garrison Artillery.jpg

John Haselden (41463), 11th Battalion, South Wales Borderers.jpg

On 1/24/2018 at 17:23, Buffnut453 said:

A couple of personal photos in case they're of interest to forum members.  The first is my Granddad, Gnr Henry Haselden (218040), Royal Garrison Artillery.  I believe the second shows Henry's younger brother, Pte John Haselden (41463), South Wales Borderers.  The photos are placed back-to-back in a pendant that I believe belonged to my Great-Grandmother, Elizabeth Haselden (nee Pickavance). 

Clearly the photos were colourized.  It's one of the few contemporary keepsakes I have of my family's First World War service.

The cap badge in John Haselden's photo looks to me like the South Wales Borderers but I'd appreciate any more informed opinions.

Cheers,
Mark

Henry Haselden (218040) Royal Garrison Artillery.jpg

John Haselden (41463), 11th Battalion, South Wales Borderers.jpg

Hi Mark, a very nice locket.  SWB looks right.

Edited by GWF1967

Royal Artillery, armed with shovel, mop and broom.

Scan_20180110 (2).jpg

R.A. Shovellers.jpg

Scan_20180126 (2).jpg

Army Service Corps (I think?). Postcard was sent from Ripon West Yorks, so I guess the photo would have been taken nearby. I can't make out the year.

My distant relative John T. Perks is standing back row, third from right. I haven't looked very hard but not yet found anything on his war service.

5a6c46db2f71b_JohnThomasPerks(BackRow3rdRight)_WW1_SentToDaughterBlanchecopy.jpg.bd7d8e04784bdcc083a311693749a69f.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 09.35.44.png

Members of the 7th Rifle Brigade. 15th July, 1918.
"My darling Girl, have no time to write a letter but will do so at first opportunity. Best Love, yours Aubrey xxx." 

Sent by Aubrey to Miss Mason of Granby House, Sunniside, Gateshead, England. Army Post Office X 142

Epson_01272018122031.jpg

A big thanks to all that have taken the time to contribute to this thread.

Really enjoyed all that have posted. 

Thanks.

36 minutes ago, 17107BM said:

A big thanks to all that have taken the time to contribute to this thread.

Really enjoyed all that have posted. 

Thanks.

Me as well. I hope it continues. So here is my Great Uncle Private 125 James Inman 35th Btn  AIF.

Inman003.jpg

Going back to the picture in post #5282, these are interesting men. The Lance Corporal on the right has what looks like a 14 star medal ribbon, an overseas chevron and a division patch. The Serjeant also has medal ribbon and a wound stripe. The Corporal (seated) has two chevrons on his right sleeve. The Lance Corporal on the left also has two Chevrons on his right sleeve and there is something above his stripe on the same sleeve. They all look tanned and fit, I suspect they could have told a few interesting stories between them.   

Just now, Gardenerbill said:

Going back to the picture in post #5282, these are interesting men. The Lance Corporal on the right has what looks like a 14 star medal ribbon, an overseas chevron and a division patch. The Serjeant also has medal ribbon and a wound stripe. The Corporal (seated) has two chevrons on his right sleeve. The Lance Corporal on the left also has two Chevrons on his right sleeve and there is something above his stripe on the same sleeve. They all look tanned and fit, I suspect they could have told a few interesting stories between them.   

also two different types of webbing displayed there

"Blyth 1915"

L-R.

Lieutenant Alfred Vollum Reid.  M.C.  . 1st London Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, Territorial Force. ( Capt A/Maj.  M.i.D. 1916. - M.C. & C.d.G. 1919 )

Major William Elliot Batt. 1st Lon. Bde, R.F.A T.F.  ( Lt Col. O/C. 310 Bde )

Captain Walter Brougham Telling. M.C.  1st Lon. Bde. R.F.A.   ( Maj. - M.C. - L.G. 25/11/1916 " For conspicuous gallantry in action. He handled his battery with great courage and skill, accounting for over90 of the enemy. He has previously done fine work" - M.i.D. 5/17 + 12/17. )

Scan_20180126.jpg

Private Reginald Wilfred Evans of the 1/5 Gloucesters, died 18 Oct 1918, one day before going on leave to get married!  Born in Cheltenham. Buried in Highland Cemetery, Le Cateau.

image.jpg

No. 199319 Bombardier Reginald Charles Evans M.M. Came from Cheltenham, but served with D/276 Battery, 55th West Lancashire Division as a Gun Layer.  My Grandfather and 2nd Cousin of Reginald Wilfred Evans.  They lived 200 yards from each other in Fairview Road, Cheltenham.

Miss Nellie Wright, of the Womens Forestry Service (my Grandmother).  Born in Wednesbury, but was lodging with my my Great Grandparents in Fairview Road, Cheltenham when she met my Grandfather.  They married in Dec 1921.  Note the 'Cutter' insignia on her armband and leather gaiters which resemble Officers gaiters.

image.jpg

image.jpg

14 hours ago, AmericanTommy said:

Members of the 7th Rifle Brigade. 15th July, 1918.
"My darling Girl, have no time to write a letter but will do so at first opportunity. Best Love, yours Aubrey xxx." 

Sent by Aubrey to Miss Mason of Granby House, Sunniside, Gateshead, England. Army Post Office X 142

Epson_01272018122031.jpg

Particularly like this photo, especially for it showing a mix of 1908 Pattern webbing and 1914 Pattern leather equipment within (presumably) the same unit.

It's getting late for 1914 Pattern at this time too, and these sets are the first type - not the February 1918 modified.

7th RB wore a black square to the shoulder. Theoretically, coloured stars would then denote company, yet I can't see those here.

The serjeant's medal appears to the MM.

Agree with 1914 star on the man on the right and, with the OS chevrons, some good features that put this bang on date for early to mid-1918, as per the date.

Cheers,

GT.

18 hours ago, Sturmmann1918 said:

Recent find

2018-29-01-17-54-20.jpeg

Tells a story.  A LMG course run by a Royal Sussex Regt Battalion of the 34th Division (checkered sign).

On 27/01/2018 at 09:38, Triumph2000 said:

Army Service Corps (I think?). Postcard was sent from Ripon West Yorks, so I guess the photo would have been taken nearby. I can't make out the year.

My distant relative John T. Perks is standing back row, third from right. I haven't looked very hard but not yet found anything on his war service.

5a6c46db2f71b_JohnThomasPerks(BackRow3rdRight)_WW1_SentToDaughterBlanchecopy.jpg.bd7d8e04784bdcc083a311693749a69f.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 09.35.44.png

Yes, ASC and seemingly a horsed transport unit.

On 27/01/2018 at 00:30, GWF1967 said:

Royal Artillery, armed with shovel, mop and broom.

Scan_20180110 (2).jpg

R.A. Shovellers.jpg

Scan_20180126 (2).jpg

The upper picture shows men on coal fatigue (collecting ration allocated for each barrack room) in Colchester Garrison.

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

The upper picture shows men on coal fatigue (collecting ration allocated for each barrack room) in Colchester Garrison.

Thanks Frogsmile.

I'd assumed they were on poop-scoop duty! 

Bottom photo. The man back row, second from left - could you tell me whether he is RHA or RFA and the correct term for the jacket/frock/coat he wears please. 

Edited by GWF1967

50 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Thanks Frogsmile.

I'd assumed they were on poop-scoop duty! 

Bottom photo. The man back row, second from left - could you tell me whether he is RHA or RFA and the correct term for the jacket/frock/coat he wears please. 

He is RHA and the jacket is correctly called a Dolman, the version with a skirt worn by Hussars is a Atilla.

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

He is RHA and the jacket is correctly called a Dolman, the version with a skirt worn by Hussars is a Atilla.

Many thanks.  

Blue with yellow braid (Frogging?)? , is there anything significant in the style of braid, rank, trade etc.  as  I couldn't find an exact match on t'interweb?

Royal Artillery Driver.

Spur and whip badge on left sleeve.

Scan_20180124 (3).jpg