Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

15 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes, ASC and seemingly a horsed transport unit.

Many thanks, Frogsmile. 

On 30/01/2018 at 23:42, GWF1967 said:

Many thanks.  

Blue with yellow braid (Frogging?)? , is there anything significant in the style of braid, rank, trade etc.  as  I couldn't find an exact match on t'interweb?

Yes golden yellow on blue but I’ve just realised that it’s not a Dolman, but an Atilla, and he’s a Hussar not RHA (note the collar badge). Mea Culpa.  Odd to see a Hussar among so many gunners. I think he’s 11th Hussars (cherry bums).

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 30/01/2018 at 04:14, wmfinch said:

No. 199319 Bombardier Reginald Charles Evans M.M. Came from Cheltenham, but served with D/276 Battery, 55th West Lancashire Division as a Gun Layer.  My Grandfather and 2nd Cousin of Reginald Wilfred Evans.  They lived 200 yards from each other in Fairview Road, Cheltenham.

Miss Nellie Wright, of the Womens Forestry Service (my Grandmother).  Born in Wednesbury, but was lodging with my my Great Grandparents in Fairview Road, Cheltenham when she met my Grandfather.  They married in Dec 1921.  Note the 'Cutter' insignia on her armband and leather gaiters which resemble Officers gaiters.

image.jpg

image.jpg

What superb photos with that family connection. And a very nice shot of the 5-leaved variant of 55th Div sign.

11 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes golden yellow on blue but I’ve just realised that it’s not a dolman but an Atilla and he’s a Hussar not RHA (note the collar badge). Mea Culpa.  Odd to see a Hussar among so many gunners. I think he’s 11th Hussars (cherry bums).

Thanks FROGSMILE. 

Thank you Wainfleet....I feel blessed that my Grandparents trusted me with their artefacts.

Private Reginald Wilfred Evans cont.

I hope folks don't mind me continuing with my relative, but there is a heart warming story here.  Reginald died on the 18 Oct 1918, one day before going on leave to marry a lady called Hilda Maisey from 44 St Paul's Street, Cheltenham.  She went on to marry someone else several years after his death, but always kept the Postcards he sent her from France.  She had a daughter who married, and after Hilda and her daughter had passed away, Hilda's son in law didn't know what to do with the artefacts.  Thankfully, he donated the framed postcards and a Christmas Card dated 1917 to the Soldiers of Gloucestershire Museum.  On a whim, I entered his name into the Museum's website, and the artefacts came up!  I bought the photo of him from their on line shop and have taken the opportunity to view the original artefacts.

For me, the story is amazing!

V/R

Wayne

image.jpg

9 minutes ago, wmfinch said:

Private Reginald Wilfred Evans cont.

I hope folks don't mind me continuing with my relative, but there is a heart warming story here.  Reginald died on the 18 Oct 1918, one day before going on leave to marry a lady called Hilda Maisey from 44 St Paul's Street, Cheltenham.  She went on to marry someone else several years after his death, but always kept the Postcards he sent her from France.  She had a daughter who married, and after Hilda and her daughter had passed away, Hilda's son in law didn't know what to do with the artefacts.  Thankfully, he donated the framed postcards and a Christmas Card dated 1917 to the Soldiers of Gloucestershire Museum.  On a whim, I entered his name into the Museum's website, and the artefacts came up!  I bought the photo of him from their on line shop and have taken the opportunity to view the original artefacts.

For me, the story is amazing!

V/R

Wayne

image.jpg

Thanks for posting Wayne. Great to see them all together still. 

Just now, wmfinch said:

My pleasure GWF

a most wonderful collection of cards

Thank you Robins2....if it wasn't for Hilda Maisey and her family, they would probably have been lost or destroyed.  At least they are safe in the museum.  The only downside of them being in a sealed glass frame, is that no-one can read what Reginald wrote on the back.   However, the large Christmas card he sent from Ypres in 1917 is loose, so I have pictures of both front and back.

V/R

Wayne

Official Photograph issued by the Press Bureau. "During the fighting on the outskirts of the village of Masnieres one of the British Official photographers was helpful with his car in bringing an old blind lady and a little girl of five years together with three other persons out of the village which was being shelled and brought them to safety. The blind lady is being brought down the steps of her house. Nte the household linen and furniture thrown into the street by the Germans."

5a75c198a9cdc_OldwomanFrancebombedout.thumb.jpg.2de7b216e8d65bc6ae5845e936e4542d.jpg

close-up.jpg.aecd2dddca1a6dbb65253a6bb3a18df4.jpg

Any ideas on the regiment? 

20 minutes ago, Drew-1918 said:

Official Photograph issued by the Press Bureau. "During the fighting on the outskirts of the village of Masnieres one of the British Official photographers was helpful with his car in bringing an old blind lady and a little girl of five years together with three other persons out of the village which was being shelled and brought them to safety. The blind lady is being brought down the steps of her house. Nte the household linen and furniture thrown into the street by the Germans."

5a75c198a9cdc_OldwomanFrancebombedout.thumb.jpg.2de7b216e8d65bc6ae5845e936e4542d.jpg

Royal Engineers Sjt. 

Great photograph. 

Edited by GWF1967

55 minutes ago, Drew-1918 said:

The two men with a cross brace and pistol both have an arm band just discernible on their upper right arms and whistle chains attached to their chest buttons.  They are very likely to be military policemen.

Edited by FROGSMILE

9 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Royal Engineers Sjt. 

Great photograph. 

9 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The two men with a cross brace and pistol both have an arm band just discernible on their upper right arms and whistle chains attached to their chest buttons.  They are very likely to be military policemen.

Thank you both very much. I take it that means at least one them is RE transferred/posted to the Military Police. I wonder what the insignia on his helmet is. 

The expression on their faces certainly looks as if they are 'concerned' about the shelling. 

15 hours ago, Drew-1918 said:

Thank you both very much. I take it that means at least one them is RE transferred/posted to the Military Police. I wonder what the insignia on his helmet is. 

The expression on their faces certainly looks as if they are 'concerned' about the shelling. 

They are most likely a group of ‘Divisional Troops’, which would have included MPs under an Assistant Provost Marshal (APM), and other support troops such as RE.  The second man in the doorway wears the special coat of a dispatch rider.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hi

The shoulder titles of the two which are thought to be MFP/MMP are larger than those of the others in the image although I can't make out the letters. They are also wearing 03 belts pistol ammunition pouches and the "strap supporting pistol" so I'd say they are MFP/MMP as opposed to Regimental or Garrison police.

On 16 January 2018 at 22:02, GWF1967 said:

Limber Gunners. 107th Battery Royal Field Artillery. The Bombardier, right hand end, has 3 good conduct stripe and an Artificer's badge, the man behind a Gun Layer's badge.

Scan_20180107.jpg

I love this photo...it even shows a No. 7 Dial Sight in a simple type of holder.  18 pounder by the looks.

1 hour ago, Dave1418 said:

Hi

The shoulder titles of the two which are thought to be MFP/MMP are larger than those of the others in the image although I can't make out the letters. They are also wearing 03 belts pistol ammunition pouches and the "strap supporting pistol" so I'd say they are MFP/MMP as opposed to Regimental or Garrison police.

Yes I thought MFP/MMP too.  I’m also intrigued by what appears to be a metal badge that I do not recognise on the side of the RE Sergeant’s helmet.

Edited by FROGSMILE

35 minutes ago, wmfinch said:

I love this photo...it even shows a No. 7 Dial Sight in a simple type of holder.  18 pounder by the looks.

Glad you liked it, it's a pity the photographer didn't frame the shot a couple of feet to the left and show the whole gun. 

10 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes I thought MFP/MMP too.  I’m also intrigued by what appears to be a metal badge that I do not recognise on the side of the RE Sergeant’s helmet.

Is it metal or some sort of cloth? I'm certainly curious, too.

11 hours ago, Dave1418 said:

Hi

Many thanks. All very interesting. I will see if I can enlarge later. 

29 minutes ago, Drew-1918 said:

Is it metal or some sort of cloth? I'm certainly curious, too.

Many thanks. All very interesting. I will see if I can enlarge later. 

It could be cloth but seems 3D and monotone so I thought more likely metal.

Harking back to the RGA Band, post #5314, I have a few observations.

The bandsmen appear to have anklets or gaiters rather than puttees.

Lots of brass instruments, with a few woodwind at rear.

Spare music in tunic pockets?

Marching columns with rifles: are they wearing white belts?

D