Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

52 minutes ago, MikeyH said:

A fresh faced anonymous member of the Royal Artillery, a bombardier?

Mike

Image (13).jpg

A gunner or driver.  The Bombardier wore one stripe at that time.

Many thanks,

Mike.

" Best love Jim Harvey"

K.R.R.C.   Electric Studios Co. Ltd. 11a Hare St. Woolwich, 1 Wellington St. Aldershot and 240 High Street. Chatham. (Covering all bases).

Scan_20180213.jpg

143391. Gnr. William Drabble 12th Mountain Battery R.G.A.  Photograph taken; Ismailia, Egypt.

July 1918. Hospital. Malaria.

Nov.1918  -  PoW Camp. Tel-El-Kebir. Egypt. 

Scan_20171025 (7).jpg

On 24/2/2018 at 18:32, gilbo139 said:

A contingent of The Worcesters73BB2911-A3CD-4CCF-81A1-312985B257A9.jpeg.f1c56c09fbf02f4de73cea5004772703.jpeg

Great! The Chaplin gag is quite obvious, but "the bang boy" escapes me (Google was NO help, in fact the search results were quite rude) and I can't make out what's written on the last bucket (V2?). 

On a more exotic note it seems chief inspector Japp (on the far left) "did his bit" with The Worcesters - perhaps monsieur Poirot would have held him in higher esteem had he known ... 

Edited by Beechhill

An unnamed Leeds Pal.

IMG_8252.JPG

Northumberland Fusiliers kitted out for battle or training. The Sgt on the left as viewed is a Boer War veteran. The Sgt on the right is wearing the seldom seen brace attachments. Note also the NF cap badge fixed to the top of the Gor Blimey of the soldier second from left as viewed., 

IMG_8251.JPG

14 hours ago, mark holden said:

Northumberland Fusiliers kitted out for battle or training. 

Fantastic PC, thank you for sharing!  

Some R.E Types in 14 leather Equipment c1916. I have never seen the pistol case worn in this fashion before,  worn above the the ammunition pouch on the brace. 

RE 1914 kit.jpg

1 hour ago, Toby Brayley said:

Fantastic PC, thank you for sharing!  

Some R.E Types in 14 leather Equipment c1916. I have never seen the pistol case worn in this fashion before,  worn above the the ammunition pouch on the brace. 

RE 1914 kit.jpg

Toby

It is possible these are RE Special Brigade men They were all armed with revolvers  and carried them in holsters exactly as depicted. Furthermore, they are all NCO's which fits the situation. If this is so then the photograph  may have been taken in the latter half of 1915.

TR

1 minute ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Toby

It is possible these are RE Special Brigade men They were all armed with revolvers  and carried them in holsters exactly as depicted. Furthermore, they are all NCO's which fits the situation. If this is so then the photograph  may have been taken in the latter half of 1915.

TR

Brilliant info thank you, sadly there is nothing else on the PC!  

Toby 

Military Mounted Police , sadly unknown. 

MMP.jpg

Richard G J Dee

2/4 Buffs and 10 QORWK

Late 1918 and 1916

BD32393A-3122-4166-8159-49C2F3A8D067.jpeg

FE341ACE-4E50-4577-A909-76821F30A5F7.jpeg

D585BE44-8970-49A8-B90F-B6F6E1A5116D.jpeg

Edited by RGJDEE

“Scout badge “? Pls forgive my lack of knowledge I was led to believe it’s a “sniper” badge if you are referring to the badge on the forearm ?

regards Richard

Officially a Scout.

During the Great War the roles of scout, sniper and observer were often performed by the same man or men in a team. Only badge issued was scout.

S.S. Griffiths - Haverfordwest.   T- R.G.A -Welsh signals group with R.W.F Cpl.   

Scan_20180226.jpg

"37 Warrent Officers, RSMs, CSMs and Conductor. - Mainly North and North East Regiments"

Scan_20180228.jpg

Thankyou for your explanation here’s another postcard or three , this time my Greatgrandfather Earnest Standen 5th(cinque ports) Royal Sussex 

first one  taken “ July 1918 Scotland”, 2nd 1915 and lastly 1914.

C3B2532D-1113-4E46-8C85-6FC0AB15DCC3.jpeg

940B187D-85B2-4358-86A6-3EADFA246438.jpeg

0DD9F56E-6D43-464E-854D-95AA9CC0359B.jpeg

13 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

Officially a Scout.

During the Great War the roles of scout, sniper and observer were often performed by the same man or men in a team. Only badge issued was scout.

Once again, I live and learn. Thanks, didn't know this.

Pat

Trooper Hemington of the 12th (?) Lancers  sent in 1918.  I suspect on Ceremonial duties as he still has Lance pennant.  Bayonets were not issued until 1914 to the Cavalry so we can at least date it post 1914, most probably in the immediate post war era.  

As was common with the Cavalry he is still using the Hooked Quillion 1907 Bayonet.  

Hemington.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

He does seem to be 12th Lancers, the only other Lancer Regiment with a similarly narrow cap badge was the 21st.  I’m unsure where the two regiments were garrisoned at that time.