Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The HARRY LUND investigation by 'Team Harry'

sutton-in-craven

Although I should say that there's nothing in my war graves photographic archive for any mention of a Harry Lund in Oakworth Cemetery.

Whoo Hoo , got the text in the neat little box - thanks Andy!

Now this is just a quote test (which has worked), so I hope you don't mind me pointing out your accidental 'typo' Andy when you say Harry, cos it's Harry's dad Samuel we're looking for in the Laycock/Oakworth cemetery. Not that this is the main thrust of our investigation, but it all helps to complete the overall profile on Our (forgotten) Harry. I'm sure his relative will be delighted with the passion that we non-relatives, in 2010 have put into uncovering 'Harry's War'.

Whoo Hoo , got the text in the neat little box - thanks Andy!

Now this is just a quote test (which has worked), so I hope you don't mind me pointing out your accidental 'typo' Andy when you say Harry, cos it's Harry's dad Samuel we're looking for in the Laycock/Oakworth cemetery. Not that this is the main thrust of our investigation, but it all helps to complete the overall profile on Our (forgotten) Harry. I'm sure his relative will be delighted with the passion that we non-relatives, in 2010 have put into uncovering 'Harry's War'.

Well yes, Samuel Snr. Although I've searched for any mention of war on all these local graves, so Harry isn't anywhere in Keighley and the Worth valley MI's. Which doesn't exactly mean there isn't a grave for Samuel Snr, just that I haven't seen Harry/Samuel Jnr out there. There's still a chance that Samuel Snr might have had his son mentioned on a family stone - even as Samuel Jnr. Kind of backwards way around, but I hope you see what I mean. There would have to be a family grave somewhere to add his name to and with the 'separation' of the family there might not have been a stone to add Harry/Samuel Jnr to.

I have also seen 'Grandson' and even 'Nephew' mentioned on family graves as KIA in the Great War so I haven't ruled that possibility out either. On the 'Berry' side of the family, for example, although that's more likely to be outside my project area. Did anyone look for Thomas Berry's grave?

I too, can't wait until Saturday. I can only be smug in the knowledge that I'm going to see the picture of Harry first! :P

Mwhu ha ha ha...

I agree the Berry connection is probably more likely as it looks as though they arranged for the newspaper article. Thomas Berry died at Sutton on 26 September 1890 if it helps.

And it looks as though I can make it tomorrow. Is there an ETA for Harry's relative (I have dropped her a line)? I'd love to be "amongst the first" to get a glimpse of Harry!

Robert - I've got a Laurence Preston on the 1911 census living in Sheepridge, Huddersfield (Harry is said to have moved there after his mother's death, from memory?). He was a house painter, which seems to have been Harry's profession, so I think he's a business link rather than family. I've been through the tree and his wife Beatrace isn't one of Sarah's Berry sisters.

Here's Harry Lund, courtesy of Mona, who has kindly agreed for his picture to be used:

Lund_Harry-small.jpg

My apologies (I mislaid my blooming camera tonight) but well worth the wait.

There are some other photos of Harry and his parents but I'll get around to cropping them and cleaning them up a bit first. For now we can enjoy the man everyone has worked so hard to identify and research so thoroughly. Mona was delighted to hear everything that we knew about Harry and the interest in her relative.

And it was great to meet Louise and Robert today. Really great to meet you both.

All in all a fantastic and worthwhile day of talking about research and having people bring in pictures of their relatives for me to see and scan for the archive.

Go Team Harry!

goteamharry.jpg

Sorry Louise... :D

No need to apologise, Andy - by far my "best side"! Good to meet you, Mona and Robert earlier today and delighted to see that you had a steady stream of visitors. I was ready with the back-up pics, just in case of disaster - but glad to see you located your camera again: always a worrying feeling.

And here are those other members of Team Harry - right side out...

post-49061-064563400 1284233920.jpg

And then, to my surprise, I saw this next door to the chippie: perfect end to the perfect day...

That pub is just marvellous isn't it? You've just reminded me that I really must have a chat with the landlord with regard to my project and the wealth of pictures he has on his pub walls. For anyone who hasn't been in, it's a real eye opener.

'The Volunteers' has walls just covered in photographs of mainly the Duke of Wellington's Regiment marching off to the Great War from Keighley. A recommended stop for anyone in the area.

Hey, we're not in Skindles and we're talking about a pub and it's actually on topic!

Hi Louise and Andy,

Just catching up with your feverish activity since this afternoon. What a great day and really nice to meet you both, and of course the 'star' of the show Mona. What a lovely lady.

I did email Andrew earlier, but I expect that he got fed up of waiting for the photos to arrive and fell asleep!! Sorry Andy I'm not getting at you, it was just a pity that neither I nor Louise brought our laptops-I'm sure that if we had Andrew could have seen them within the hour---probably quicker than Supa Snaps!!?

Well I missed out on both counts Louise:

I missed the chip shop, and B) I got soaked to the skin. I thought that it was only a light shower and then someone turned the tap on, full blast!! and unfortunately I can't run as fast as I used to be able!!:o

Having spoken to Andy at some length about his 'Men of Worth Project', I can now see what an enormous undertaking this is, and indeed a real 'Labour of Love'. I am also quite sure that several 'Harry' types will present themselves along the way and I am also sure that 'Team Harry' and the GWF will be ready to assist Andy at a moments notice.

It was certainly a great feeling and indeed a real privilege to see this all come together today. Go Team Harry !!:w00t:

Speak to you both soon, Robert

GO TEAM HARRY

Oh my god! Seeing that first image of Harry after what feels like months of waiting filled me with goosebumps. He kind of didn't look like what I expected him to look like, but then people rarely do when you've already built up an imaginary face in your head!

He looks very bright eyed and bushy tailed, he's got a twinkle in his eyes. Then there's the poignant and in some ways, haunting picture of Our Harry smiling away from the camera next to the flower vase – magnificent shot, quite unbelievable.

Sounds like it was a great day, minus the Keighley weather! That's's the one thing I like about living in Adelaide – blue stuff in the sky EVERY day!

Louise, what a T-shirt, go girl - have you patented the slogan yet! A guy in Australia became a self-made millionaire simply by selling T-shirts with the word 'ATTITUDE' on the front. For what ever reason, these shirts sold like hot cakes.

Great snap of the other Go Harry Team members, I think this kinship we have all established may have a lasting effect – a force to be reckoned with!

I think Mona will be 'stunned' – literally by the effort that has gone into research Harry, what an amazing result. Bye the way did she have Harry's Death Certificate?

Next time I'm in the old country I'm heading straight for the Volunteer's pub for a pint of Timmy Taylor's real ale and a look at the WW1 photo's on the walls. Now that's the down-side of living in Adelaide – pubs ain't really pubs and the beer here ain't real beer. No disguising the fact.

Fantastic work once again everyone. GO TEAM HARRY!

Ah, there you are, Andrew - was worried the suspense was too much to take and you'd dozed off! Yes, it was an emotional moment seeing the photos for the first time. It was a great selection - given that I've only got one in my entire collection (not counting the recent slightly-post war addition), I'm seriously jealous. And people were bringing Andy their photos all the time I was there. I know what you mean: I could never watch "All Creatures Great and Small" because I'd read the books and the characters were the little Thelwell cartoons on the front!

It turns out Mona would have been there anyway, as she was with another exhibition relating to local family history. So if you hadn't posted when you did, she and Andy would have been in the same room for the best part of a day and probably not found an opportunity to do any more than have a general chat, because she originally had no idea Harry's name was on the memorial. A scary thought.

There was blue stuff in the sky, both before and after the downpour: having got my chips I was wandering along the sheltered bit when the storm hit so amused myself hanging around the shops. I even saw a USB card reader and very nearly bought it but figured Andy would think I was completely mad if I went rolling back in with it, having said my goodbyes. Wall-to-wall blue sky is overrated: here we have REAL WEATHER. tongue.gif

I'll be consulting the lawyers on Monday (fortunately I work for some)! At least it must have tickled Mona, as she brought her visitor over and got me to take my backpack off to display it.

Mona was very interested in Andy's work: in fact, she also brought a couple of photos of another man he's researching. I think there's going to be future collaboration there. Keighley won't know what's hit it! No, no DC. I did say we'd get one and let her have a copy. Trouble is, I've got no idea where to start as I can't find him on the Genes WW1 death records or anywhere else. If someone can get the reference, I'm happy to order it.

I think The Volunteers is the obvious place for the Team Harry headquarters and rendez-vous point: those of you who can't be physically present will have to raise a "virtual" toast. Well, if you don't have Real Weather, how can you possibly have Real Beer?!

Go Team Harry!

Great pictures Andy, what would we do without the digital camera and all its associated wizardry?

Thanks for showing the results of 'Team Harry' to the rest of the GWF, I'm sure they'll be bowled over!! Brilliant.

Go Team Harry!:D

I've been out all day gallivanting, well actually I've been a little bit distracted for the past 11 days but we won't get side-tracked with that.

Just re-visited the thread for another look at Harry. Can't get over the clarity and poignancy of these photos of Harry. It almost feels like I know him. I'll get the DC organized if Mona didn't have a copy, we need to know what's on there. The obvious conclusion for cause of death is 'drowning' but you never know, he may have succumb to injuries or hypothermia – actually probably the latter. The DC will reveal all.

Oh sorry Louise, just read your post again and see no DC, I'll search around and see if I can find it on Ancestry or where ever. I'll report back.

Great pictures Andy, what would we do without the digital camera and all its associated wizardry?

Thanks for showing the results of 'Team Harry' to the rest of the GWF, I'm sure they'll be bowled over!! Brilliant.

Go Team Harry!:D

Not bad for photos of a copied pictures eh? I've cropped them all a bit, set them to grayscale and darkened the midtones and shadows on the one with the cap and I reckon they've come out pretty well.

I'm still struggling with the picture where he's stood with a bicycle as it's slightly out of focus (I think it's my photo as the table it is on was also a bit out of focus.) Is yours any better than this Louise?

Lund_Harry_Bikesmall.jpg

Of course, we wondered if this was the bicycle he was riding when he injured his shoulder?

Is yours any better than this Louise?

Would you believe that's the only one I don't have, Andy?! I remember panicking because I'd lost Sarah Ann and she'd fallen beside the photocopier...

Perhaps Robert is able to pay a quick visit? I imagine Mona may well have her own scanner but wanted to show them to us herself, so another possible alternative. Or would the photocopy scan at all?

Apologies if it's been posted here already, but I just noticed THIS site which carries a photo of Harry's grave in Pembroke Dock Military Cemetery.

Also another photo HERE.

Thanks Headgardner for these. I think that one of these was posted previously, but I haven't actually checked when or by whom.

Whilst on the subject of photos, have you seen the one with Harry and his bike? If so, have you noticed the two swooshes to the left amongst the bushes? Now I don't know if you have had any thoughts regarding these? but I suspect that these could be the extremities of an R.A. badge(very similar if not identical to a previous thread).:devilgrin: I know that this is a really tough one, but what are your thoughts?--It would be brilliant if you could confirm my thoughts. I also suspect that this was probably discarded by a local artilleryman following the Boer War, possibly even one of Harry's relatives.:D

I look forward to your comments!!:w00t:

Would you believe that's the only one I don't have, Andy?! I remember panicking because I'd lost Sarah Ann and she'd fallen beside the photocopier...

Perhaps Robert is able to pay a quick visit? I imagine Mona may well have her own scanner but wanted to show them to us herself, so another possible alternative. Or would the photocopy scan at all?

Just let me know if you need a copy and I will contact Mona, I'm quite sure that this would be quite alright with her. If you could P.M. me her telephone number, that would probably be better than me just knocking on her door?

Where are we going with the D.C.? Not sure, but I may be able to enlist the help of a friend on this--what do you think? or could anyone in your office help?

If so, have you noticed the two swooshes to the left amongst the bushes? ... I also suspect that this was probably discarded by a local artilleryman following the Boer War, possibly even one of Harry's relatives.

Funny you should say that, Robert - I noticed "swooshes" on one or two of mine! And of course this being Yorkshire and it being nowt more than a wild and wet walk o'er tops t'Haworth, it'll be that 'Eathcliffe fella: he's everywhere. devilgrin.gif

If you could P.M. me her telephone number, that would probably be better than me just knocking on her door?

Where are we going with the D.C.? Not sure, but I may be able to enlist the help of a friend on this--what do you think? or could anyone in your office help?

I gave her mine but I don't have hers - Andy may well do. If not, I'm sure one of us can let you have her email address.

As for the DC, I think we're just looking for the actual cause of death and confirmation of his time of death, given that CWGC have him down as dying the next day - purely completeness. If you mean my office, it's just a large international law firm (and I'm bottom of the pecking order). I've done DCs before but only with full reference. I think you can request them without, it's just a bit more expensive. Simply puzzled that he doesn't show on the Genes records.

Hi Louise,

Yep, that would do fine.

Going back to the D.C., I don't suppose that they could have issued a death certificate prior to 'Harry' being identified?--a sort of D.C. for an unidentified body?

I am not quite sure how these things worked, timescale and all that? I assume that there must be occasions when a D.C. is issued for an unidentified body--this maybe why it does not appear on the Genes site!!? But then again, if he was identified some time later through a process of elimination, then surely the D.C. would have been updated--or at least should have been, unless this was overlooked--that old 'human error' thing!!

Just a thought.

Robert

And I've just been promoted::D