Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF Conference and Dinner 2010

AlanCurragh

Roy - lunch is a buffet - sandwiches, quiches, chicken drumsticks, pizza slices, garlic bread, fajitas, potato wedges, breaded prawns, that kind of thing

Alan

• Admin
As George Burns once said - better than the alternative.

Indeed! No sorry to disappoint you but I can't run to standing everyone a round!

Michelle

but I can't run to standing everyone a round!

Michelle

What about if you walk? ^_^

Roger

Roy - lunch is a buffet - sandwiches, quiches, chicken drumsticks, pizza slices, garlic bread, fajitas, potato wedges, breaded prawns, that kind of thing

Alan

Thanks Alan, no need for sarnies and a flask then!

Roy

Will Fig Rolls be readily available in quantity and some nuts?

Plus tea and coffee and a bar!

Thanks Alan, my cup /glass runneth over!

Roy

I seem to recall some mention of a preliminary curry on the Friday evening for those of us who arrive early.

As I plan to park my wheeled suitcase, (the one with the fig rolls and the whisky), in a Travelodge at a reasonably early hour I would appreciate guidance on a suitable assembly point for a gentle glass or two which might serve as an aperitif before some less gentle food.

Keith

Many months ago, there was mention of a curry house local to the venue - not necessarily local to the Travelodges though. I think I will send a bulk email to all attendees to see who is around on Friday and we'll fix a suitable meeting point

We are at the "Birmingham Central" (as opposed to the nearby "Birmingham Central Broadway Plaza")

We are at the "Birmingham Central" (as opposed to the nearby "Birmingham Central Broadway Plaza")

Great I shall book myself in there for the Friday and Saturday nights

Mark

I seem to remember that we are a house divided. I don't think that I am alone at the Broadway Plaza, but scanning back through all those posts would take too long.

GWF Badges must be worn.

Keith

We will be residing at the Broadway Plaza for the duration.

On Friday evening we shall be attending the theatre and would be very agreeable to meeting for an after-theatre drink B)

Staying at...

Hotel du Nord, Fonquevillars.

So sad I shall miss this. I only live up the road and have "special access" to Tally Ho being Staff.

Oh well there is compensation....an der Somme!

Hope you all have a grerat time and as toy will all be in Brum I shall have the Somme to myself!

Ha Ha

TT

Many months ago, there was mention of a curry house local to the venue - not necessarily local to the Travelodges though.

A quick nosy for Edgbaston area Indian restaurants turns up Akbars on Hagley Road. It's part of a small chain and, presuming it's as good as the one in Manchester, then it would be a decent nosh. Dunno exactly where Hagley Road is or how suitable a location it might be. Over to someone with local knowledge of somewhere better............

From the looks of it, there are two Hagley Roads in Birmingham, is it possible to add the postcode John, so we can see which one it is?

For a Balti in Brum it has got to be Ladypool Road and the surrounding area.

I can confirm the indian John suggests is not very far from the Travelodge Broadway Plaza - about 1500 yards (give or take 200).

I tried the Akbar's in Bradford a few months ago and it was excellent.

Keith

Thanks to everyone who has told me they're around on Friday evening - more than 20 of you! Enough that we'd certainly have to book if we wanted to eat somewhere, I'd have thought - it is a Friday evening after all.

I don't know Birmingham that well - but I'd suggest we have two possibilities - either meet in a pub on the Hagley Road, with a table booked at Akbar's or meet in the Old Contemptible in the centre, and eat there

Any thoughts?

Since my last visit to Brum was not far short of 40 years ago, I am happy to go with any outcome.

Keith