Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF Conference and Dinner 2010

AlanCurragh

As we will be arriving after the theatre (if people are still about) we shall go along with everyone else's choice.

No idea - never been to Birmingham. Will go with the 'flow'.

Jim

difficult choice -- I'd quite like to visit the Old Contemptibles, but if Akbar's food is really good...

hard to do both I suppose (my knowledge of Brum is also zilch)?

cheers Martin B

Assuming that Akbars operates as the Manchester branch, then I'm not sure if you can reserve a table. But I guess they may well make an exception for a party of 20. Well, you would, wouldnt you.

Can I suggest that the Old Contemptibles will be the best option? Trying to get everyone to agree to a time to book dinner sounds like it would be very difficult. As people will be arriving at different times, and there will be over 20 of us, does that sound like it makes sense? Less to organise anyway! :)

So, the Old Contemptible, this is a 'pub' (bar room) at the conference centre - is that right?

Can I suggest that the Old Contemptibles will be the best option? Trying to get everyone to agree to a time to book dinner sounds like it would be very difficult. As people will be arriving at different times, and there will be over 20 of us, does that sound like it makes sense? Less to organise anyway! :)

Much better idea. the beer is b****y good too!

Roger

so we'd eat there as well?

what sort of time roughly would we be talking about?

cheers Martin B

Martin - yes, we could either eat there, or if that is not possible, find somewhere nearby. The problem as I see it is that to try and get a booking sorted out for 20+ people could be a nightmare - I'd rather keep Friday evening informal. I'll make sure everyone has my mobile number for Friday evening if we've moved on from the pub and they are arriving later.

As for time, we'll hopefully be able to get to the pub by 7-7.30

Unfortunately we're unlikely to reach my mother's until about 1030-11pm, and that's six miles from the O.C., so sadly we won't be able to make it for the Friday drinks. See you Saturday...

I do hope you lot will be in a fit state by the Saturday morning! :P

I would really hate to be the only sober one amongst you.

See you all there

Martin

It looks like there will be 20 or so of us meeting on Friday evening - so still a few sober ones on Saturday! :wacko:

Any chance of having the address of the Old Contemptibles?

Livery Street Birmingham off Colmore Row and right next to Snow Hill Station

Just done a 2 day conference at Tally Ho , buffet was great both days but the seats are a killer only just starting to feel my bum again , take a cushion , good parking fairly easy to find , cant wait

Rich M :blink::poppy::ph34r:

Thanks Rich, good to have another recommendation!

Alan

A timing question.

I plan to drive to the centre from my Travelodge in the morning. Have we a sufficient interval between the end of the conference and dinner to return cars to such places and return so that suitable fluids can be addressed in the evening?

Keith

Keith - if things go to plan ( :wacko: ) then there should be 90 minutes or so between Martin Brown finishing at 5.30 and dinner at 7.00

Thanks Alan

Keith

Anyone staying at the Travelodge Birmingham Central Plaza?

Chris

I am at the Travelodge Birmingham Central Broadway Plaza according to the print out of my booking, and I think a few others are. The site naming seems to vary on different websites. I am booked in for Friday and Saturday, arriving probably late afternoon.

Hope to see you there. I'll be the old f@rt with matching white hair and beard above a forum badge.

Keith