Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF Conference and Dinner 2010

AlanCurragh

I was meant to be on a training event which was cancelled so I was absolutely delighted to be able to attend last minute.

I also would like to thank Alan for organising the event and all the speakers who gave wonderful talks. It was lovely to put faces to names. I do hope this will be an annual event.

Just to say a big thanks to Alan for arranging the day, I had an enjoyable day listening to very interesting knowledgable speakers, good to meet up with old forum pals and to met new ones.

Regards Doug

We would also like to add our thanks to all involved in making such a brilliant day.

Apart from putting faces to names, we both learnt so much.

Malcolm & Wendy

Any photos going to be posted on the Forum for us non-Facebook members? Love to see the event!

A big thanks to Mr and Mrs MagicRat for organising such a great and enjoyable day. I hope it won't be the last. It was good to catch up with old friends and put many more faces to names. Regards,

Charles

Are we going to have a roll call of who attended ? would be nice to hear other reports from others who attended.

Dan

I'm in the second of Brian's photos: grey haired, balding and in a red jumper with my back to the camera - my best angle say many! The white flares are from the Scotchlight panels on my motorcycle trousers and boots - sorry Brian! To my right is Kate Wills. I'm also in photo 4 chatting to Peter Hart, where I can be seen in all my faded glory! :)

Keith

Thanks Alan for organising a wonderful event at such a good venue with great speakers.

Thats me in photo 12 in blue shirt with back to the camera.

Regards Mark

Many thanks to Alan for the invitation to speak; for the great organisation and fantastic food and drink he and his capable team (!) laid on - with a bit of help from the staff at the conference centre; for the great company - that's all of you!; to all those who bought a book (and all those who had done already!) - that's nearly all of you; for the fun and laughter at dinner; for the additional non-listed football match that entertained some of us during the breaks, and for a grand day out.

Plus, although I was the only one booked in there, I had the best accommodation for friendly staff and nearness to a good 'proper' city pub with decent whiskies!

Please can I get an invite next year?! ;-)

Bryn

Many thanks to Alan and everyone else involved in putting on the event. It all went extremely well, the venue was excellent and the food they provided was first class both for lunch and in the evening. The speakers were varied and knowledgeable and it was of course terrific to meet so many people.

Birmingham seems to be a good location for this event - unless you are in Oz of course:) - and I would certainly recommend anything next year being pretty much along the same lines.

Thanks again.

Neil

just got home after a smooth Eurostar trip.

would like to add my thanks to the organisers and speakers for a superb event. I didn't manage to speak to everyone but it was good to meet so many and find that they are just as pleasant in real life as they are on the GWF. Fraid I'm not in

any of the photos posted so far, though

I would really hope this exercise is repeated in the not too distant

cheers Martin B

First of all can I say how sorry I am that Phil didn't make it to the event, but am so glad to hear your mum is on the mend.

With regards to the conference, all I can say is, WOW, what a day!!!

As someone who has very little knowledge of The Great War, I learnt so much from all our speakers. It was a delight to sit and listen to them, each bringing a wealth of information presented in such a way I'm sure old hands and newbies alike gleaned something from the day.

I did take a couple of photos :rolleyes: which I shall be going through as soon as I've finished catching up with all the goings on on the board and uploading them asap. I would have done it sooner today but I was kept up late last night by several rather entertaining gentlemen, which I wouldn't have missed for the world, and as a consequence have had to catch up on a couple of hours sleep this afternoon (I'm such a wimp!!). Can we just say drinking cider at 1.30 am goes down a treat with some people :o

I'm so sorry I never had the chance to meet/talk to everyone who was there, I know I missed lots of people who I really did want to say hello to, but hopefully we'll do it again and I can catch up on that occasion. Those of you whom I did get to meet, it was such a pleasure to talk to you all in person, putting names to faces etc, etc, etc.

I do have to report back on something though, I should like to know where all the fig roll brigade were when I was being abused in the lunch queue by Mr Hubbard et al? The anti-figgist movement were in full swing on the day and I suffered a torrent of insults on your behalf, I want you all there next time!! I do have to say though that a certain Mr Hubbard did present me with a packet of my favourite biscuits, for which I thank him profusely. I'm just sending them off for testing before I actually eat them though, just in case :lol: I can let you all into a little secret though. There is one anti-figgist who swore me to secrecy (hence I shall not divulge their name) but admitted they did have a secret liking for our vice - we will rule the world eventually!!

Finally (for this bit) Alan and Sue, huge thanks to both of you for all your endeavours, so greatly appreciated, may we all do it again in the not too distant future -

well done both of you!!

What an aboslutely brill day out; my thanks to all involved

It seems that the general concensus is that the day was a sucess. :P

Very many thanks to Alan and his team for the excellent organisation and to all five superb speakers, how on earth can we top that next year? Please let's give it a try though.

Roy

A really good day. Thanks to Mr & Mrs Rat, and to all the speakers.

I feature in pic 11, wearing a cream jacket which looks much more presentable at a distance on camera than close up.

Kim you were not alone - I offered Bruce an entire packet of fig rolls, but to his response might get me into trouble with the mods.

Keith

• Admin

Wayne is in pic 11 on facebook, bald bloke reading book.................

Michelle

Brian, thanks! That link worked.

Great to see the conference was a success and fun was had by all. Tremendous! all the best.

peter

Firstl, I hope Staffsyeoman's Mum is OK and on the mend. What a shame.

Yes, a sincere vote of thanks to the Rats for organising things so brilliantly. This is a top venue and I can see this becoming a regular affair.

Many thanks to the speakers. All the presentations were top class, on a great range of subjects , delivered with panache and considerable wit and humour. They all cheerfully admitted that if they hadn't been presenting they would have happily been there as a "punter". All these guys carry their great knowledge modestly and share it with pleasure and a smile.

Bryn and Peter are a great double act both during their presentations, whilst flogging their superb books and at the dinner table. The IWM's Laurel and Hardy - different comic duos also spring to mind.

Charles F's excellent analysis of the war from the viewpoint of the establishment, recruitment and spirit of the 19th Londons was brilliantly researched and brought the battalion to life. Charles M's talk on the BEF in 1918 demonstrated his vast scholarship on his subject.

Martin's presentation on the Australian casualty found by his dig-team near Messines was just enthralling and illustrated brilliantly how effective modern forensic techniques can be at telling the stories of these men when found - and an ID hopefully soon!

A great success all round and I personally hope we can repeat it.

Couldn't have put it better myself Ian. It was good to put faces to names, and I also thought all of the presenters were terrific. A day thoroughly enjoyed by Mrs G and myself.

Thanks again to Alan and Sue for organising the event. Look forward to the next one.

Bryn and Peter are a great double act both during their presentations, whilst flogging their superb books and at the dinner table. The IWM's Laurel and Hardy - different comic duos also spring to mind.

Yes, like most other comedy duos (L&H and Morecambe and Wise being the exceptions), we hate each other in real life.

Mind you, it's an accurate description - especially if you've ever seen us try to get a piano up some steps...

Bryn

A really good day. Thanks to Mr & Mrs Rat, and to all the speakers.

I feature in pic 11, wearing a cream jacket which looks much more presentable at a distance on camera than close up.

Kim you were not alone - I offered Bruce an entire packet of fig rolls, but to his response might get me into trouble with the mods.

Keith

I trust that their surgical removal was not too painful!

:D

Bruce

...especially if you've ever seen us try to get a piano up some steps...

Can I book you to do that next year?!

Thanks for all the kind words, folks - I'm really glad everyone enjoyed it so much. It was a pleasure to meet everyone, and I'd particularly like to thank Bryn, Charles, Pete, Charles and Martin for their wonderfully interesting and entertaining talks. The idea of 5 hours of talks can be a little daunting, but your willingness to share your knowledge and opinions made the day fly by

Same(ish) time next year then?

Alan