Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF Conference and Dinner 2010

AlanCurragh

Chris - we're at the "Birmingham Central" as opposed to the "Birmingham Central Broadway Plaza". As Keith says, I think there are a number of folks staying at both

If it helps its the one near Five Ways station; thanks for your replies

Apparently there are some nasty roadworks on the A38 (Bristol Road) approach to Edgbaston - might be worth bearing in mind if you are intending driving to the conference from the SW/M5 direction

Alan

Alan, any chance of an updated attendance list, s'il vous plaît?

cheers Martin B

Apparently there are some nasty roadworks on the A38 (Bristol Road) approach to Edgbaston - might be worth bearing in mind if you are intending driving to the conference from the SW/M5 direction

Alan

I find the 'Keep Moving' http://www.keepmoving.co.uk/ website is good for warnings on problems and road works, it's 'cleaner' and less resource intensive than the Highways Agency traffic site.

Is anyone staying in or near the Kensington Hotel in Pershore Road on Friday night who fancies a drink in the bar before wandering (or getting bus/cab) up to The Old Contemtibles in the evening?

Neil

I'm in the Kensington, Neil, coming by train from London and probably arriving early evening.

Will look out for you

cheers Martin B

Its probably buried in this thread somewhere but what time do the whistles go on Saturday morning?

From an email circulated a few days ago:

"Starting at 10.00 with the first speaker (Bryn Hammond) at 10.30. If you're bringing anything to display/sell, we'll be there from about 9.00 to set things up. Just a reminder that if anyone wants to bring along their publications, that's fine, please let me know."

I sincerely hope you all have a fantastic time !!! Have a drink or two or three for us :)

Bright Blessings

Sandra

• Admin

Quite a few of us at the Kensington? Wont be there til Saturday am, having one night away.

Michelle

I'll be there on Saturday morning.

So far as I know we can't check in until the pm.

Anyone have different info. please?

Martin

As my old friend and colleague used to say 'Bring yer purse!'

Both Peter H and I will have books (including rare unsigned copies) to sell on the day. Look forward to meeting you all (or saying hello again to old friends).

Best

Bryn

• Admin
I'll be there on Saturday morning.

So far as I know we can't check in until the pm.

Anyone have different info. please?

Martin

Was aiming to book in during the break between end of lectures and dinner

Michelle

I hope that everyone attending has a great weekend. I wish I was joining you.

Was aiming to book in during the break between end of lectures and dinner

Michelle

Ayesha and i are hoping to do exactly the same.

Bruce

May I wish you all a wonderful weekend, with fun, laughter, good food and much interesting discussion around the passion that brings us all together round the world :D

Cheers

Shirley

Good afternoon All,

I am sure that many of you will have already set off, have a great time ! I'm looking forward to seeing the photos but will anybody be online live......?

On line live? Now there's an idea!

If tomorrow is half as good as I think it is going to be, then that is certainly a target for Mr and Mrs Rat for next year! I am sure that they didn't ever think they could get away with organising just the one of these dos!

I am really looking forward to it....to being able to put faces to names....and being able to say so many thank yous (including dozens of drinks, so the piggy bank has been raided)

(I'm quite looking forward to it too. Ayesha)

Bruce

P.S. Copies of a slim tome on a certain Merseyside War Memorial will also be available.

P.P.S. Badges done....so you will know who to avoid.

Ayesha and i are hoping to do exactly the same.

Me too!

• Admin

OK dumb question time- is anyone getting dressed up for the dinner? Would hate to make any sartorial gaffes.............

Michelle

Ayesha and I also discussed the dress question, without concluding.

Since i refuse to shave my legs, I won't be in a dress......but a suit and tie?

An excuse for her to wear a frock?

Bruce

• Admin

Well we don't want Broomers baring his knees! Might stick a decent pair of trousers in the case and take a straw poll tomorrow.

Michelle

Apart from such exotic topics as people's dress, or indeed not as the case may be, can I repeat a question previously posted as to an attendance list. Is there one we could have before we arrive?

I just would like to know who would want to avoid me, or vice-versa :P