Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF Conference and Dinner 2010

AlanCurragh

• Admin

Post #420 Martin, page 17

Michelle

I won't be going home to change for dinner! So casual for me. I will be found at the bar!

(and will be in the OC's in about 2hrs 15 mins :lol: )

Roger

Post #420 Martin, page 17

Michelle

Thanks Michelle.

Post 420. WOW! That is an age ago.

See you tomorrow.

Regards

Martin

Regarding dress, I shall be decidedly casual all day! Mrs Rat says she will be "slightly smart casual"

Regarding dress, I shall be decidedly casual all day! Mrs Rat says she will be "slightly smart casual"

Does this mean that I shall have to leave my cape (lined with red silk from Bang Bang Duhk) at home (along with my cummerbund and sash [Grand Order of St Kasimaar 2nd Class])?

Just parked the wheeled suitcase in the Broadway Plaza Travelodge, and checking out the condition of the fig rolls after the drive up from Portsmouth. I gather I'm not much more than a mile from the old whatsit, so I'll be toddling along shortly.

Keith

I'm just on the train from London. Amazing price system you have over here - I book online and get a first class reservation for the price of a second class - with free Internet and food and drink!! Be in the O.C. as soon as I can. It's all wet and mild, can't get used to this! :P

Jim

So it looks like a tin hat with sleeves, a suit of waistcoats, with matching yellow waders.....

I'll be incognito.

Bruce

Just back from the OC's. A good night!!

Roger

So where are the photos?

Bruce

You may have to wait, Roger! A very nice pub and a good turnout - I think 16 or so

Apologies to you all - we got here last night to find my Mum, who's in her 80s, in some pain and are now awaiting medical assistance. And we can't leave her on her own.

Oh dear, Phil. Or was it 'fate' that you were meant to be there? I hope that a quick trip to the family drs and a check up are all that's necessary.

Just a quick, and totally inadequate, note of gratitude to the Rat family for all their hard work in making the Conference so enjoyable a day.

Thank you!

Bruce

(and the same from me too! Ayesha)

Just a quick, and totally inadequate, note of gratitude to the Rat family for all their hard work in making the Conference so enjoyable a day.

Thank you!

Bruce

(and the same from me too! Ayesha)

Hear, hear. And a thank you to all the speakers as well - so interesting and informative. Also great to put names to faces.

Roger

What, no pics?

Fear not Diane. Kim is a one-woman papperazzi. When I left she was tucking into her starter. Right now she either whiling away the night in convivial company, or in the land of nod, so she hasn't had a chance to attend to the photo feature yet. I'm sure she'll post some pics once she's back home.

Phil,

You were missed. Best wishes to your mum.

It's very unlike me to praise my brother for anything - but yesterday was a great success! All 5 speakers delivered talks which clearly showed their knowledge & enthusiam for their subjects. It was also good to finally put usernames to faces - the Forum are a great bunch of people!

I just hope there aren't too many sore heads this morning!!

So Alan, what are you doing on the 26th March 2011 ???

Well done both of you!

Brian

Firstl, I hope Staffsyeoman's Mum is OK and on the mend. What a shame.

Yes, a sincere vote of thanks to the Rats for organising things so brilliantly. This is a top venue and I can see this becoming a regular affair.

Many thanks to the speakers. All the presentations were top class, on a great range of subjects , delivered with panache and considerable wit and humour. They all cheerfully admitted that if they hadn't been presenting they would have happily been there as a "punter". All these guys carry their great knowledge modestly and share it with pleasure and a smile.

Bryn and Peter are a great double act both during their presentations, whilst flogging their superb books and at the dinner table. The IWM's Laurel and Hardy - different comic duos also spring to mind.

Charles F's excellent analysis of the war from the viewpoint of the establishment, recruitment and spirit of the 19th Londons was brilliantly researched and brought the battalion to life. Charles M's talk on the BEF in 1918 demonstrated his vast scholarship on his subject.

Martin's presentation on the Australian casualty found by his dig-team near Messines was just enthralling and illustrated brilliantly how effective modern forensic techniques can be at telling the stories of these men when found - and an ID hopefully soon!

A great success all round and I personally hope we can repeat it.

Top day, top organisation,top venue top speakers, top conversation, top meal, top Rat!

And only 20 minutes up the road!

Thanks all for your kind thoughts, we both (Helen and I) missed you all. Seems Mum has two broken ribs (I'm a bit bruised, that's all, said she...) according to the doctor, so hope eveyone understands our non-showing.

Very many thanks to Alan, and to all who helped on the day, and to the speakers.

A really tremendous event, and aided by the efficiency of the Tally Ho! Conference Centre.

I was most impressed by all the speakers and when you consider that that we had some 5 hours of highly expert presentation on Saturday, roll on the next event!

Martin

I'll also add a note of thanks to Alan and all others involved in planning and delivering a really good day. Thoroughly enjoyed myself - good to meet a number of "Forum friends", both old & new.

Thought the venue was cracking good value for what we'd paid.

John

• Admin

Just to say a hugely enjoyable day, great to meet people and put faces to names. Well done Alan and everyone involved in planning it.

Michelle and Wayne