Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SRD Jars - Who made them?

Gunner Bailey

Paul the SRD is crisper and the quality of the WW2 marked jars is higher than the others I have, but that being said the only ones specifically date marked are Bournes the latest being 1945 and unglazed bottom.

The fully glazed Price I have isn't numbered and the stamp is inked not impressed.

Regards the half gallon, 2 of mine are Pearson and of very different quality.

Mick

Hi John,

apparently I didn't get a notification of this post! Sorry!

As you say, it will be 1944, too bad but thats not something for my collection then!

In the mean time, I received/ bought some more jars, an skey tamworth 1 gallon and a 1/2 gallon marked phillips & son castleford,

but I'm in doubt about the age, because of the very clear ink stamp. Could this be WW1? Too bad it got decapitated..

And a bit off-topic, but I have another marking on a stoneware jar (no SRD), that I haven't seen or heard from before..

It's a piramid-shape with a C & B in. I thought perhaps Crosse & Blackwell, but I can't find any old examples of markings or such...

kind regards and keep up the good work with this thread!

Wouter

Wouter

Your SRD is WW1 vintage. I have a near identical jar that I picked up in Abbeville. The other jar looks in the style of a anti gas ointment jar. These often had a ceramic lid held in place by a three piece locking mechanism. However - the C&B mark can only refer to two firms. Christie & Beardmore who operated from 1902 - 1903 or Cotton & Barlow who were in business from 1850-1855. So this jar may be much older than WW1.

John

Wouter

Your SRD does look like a WW1 example, the accepted knowledge seems to be that the WW2 examples will have a date stamp and the bottom will be glazed: as to the other jar it is probably an ordinary commercial or domestic jar; could be Crosse & Blackwell?

I'm sure John will be along to comment soon.

Paul

Hi Paul

To me the key distinguishing feature of WW2 SRDs is the presence of a stamped and dated manufacturers mark. The makers stamps also normally differ from those of WW1 and are often much bigger. Pearson's of Chesterfield being a good example.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Wouter

Your SRD is WW1 vintage. I have a near identical jar that I picked up in Abbeville. The other jar looks in the style of a anti gas ointment jar. These often had a ceramic lid held in place by a three piece locking mechanism. However - the C&B mark can only refer to two firms. Christie & Beardmore who operated from 1902 - 1903 or Cotton & Barlow who were in business from 1850-1855. So this jar may be much older than WW1.

John

Hi John,

thank you for your reaction! Glad to hear it's WW1!!

Hmm, I didn't know you could know the use of a certain jar by seeing it's form! Hmm, indeed that seems much older than what I expected!

Do you have stamps of one of those firms perhaps? I have 3 jars with this C&B marking, all three have a different form..

I'll have a look and take a picture for you.

Kind regards,

and thank you a lot for the useful information!!

Wouter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

thank you for your reaction! Glad to hear it's WW1!!

Hmm, I didn't know you could know the use of a certain jar by seeing it's form! Hmm, indeed that seems much older than what I expected!

Do you have stamps of one of those firms perhaps? I have 3 jars with this C&B marking, all three have a different form..

I'll have a look and take a picture for you.

Kind regards,

and thank you a lot for the useful information!!

Wouter

For Forum information. Wouter's jars are pre WW1.

John

• 1 month later...
Guest byng-boys

:wacko:

Hi Guys, I'm new here, been lurking for a while, but now I've joined up, as it was frustrating not being able to see any of the pictures.

I've got a few jars of my own, although I can't add anything to the SRD jar makers list, but I've found some images that some of you might find interesting as I've not seen any dark SRD jars before!

srdjars.jpg

smallsrdjars.jpg

sizesSrd.jpg

Paul

Hi there, the first picture, comes from a French collection near Mont-St-Eloi (Vimy sector)

:wacko:

I do have a single dark single colour jar. It's by Lovett Ltd and is 1/2 gallon. So they are around.

John

I do have a single dark single colour jar. It's by Lovett Ltd and is 1/2 gallon. So they are around.

John

Hi John

I don't think we've seen a picture of your dark "chestnut" jar have we?

I picked this up recently, the wicker is in very good condition with just a couple of strands missing around the base, the original stripe is orange with a later daub of red to one side as the orange was becoming indistinct; it has an old cork rolling inside. I guess there's no certain way to date these as I think they were still in use by the navy until July 31st 1970, "Black Tot Day".

post-59637-0-55348200-1310558207.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

18B

The orange paint was almost certainly red to begin with. If you have read all of this thread you will see that I used to be responsible for packing these jars with rum. The red paint was to remind the serviceman (mainly RN customers) that they shouldn't stow the jars near to a heat source. You pic is remarkably like the jars in wicker shell that we packed.

Up spirits !

Sotonmate

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John

I don't think we've seen a picture of your dark "chestnut" jar have we?

I picked this up recently, the wicker is in very good condition with just a couple of strands missing around the base, the original stripe is orange with a later daub of red to one side as the orange was becoming indistinct; it has an old cork rolling inside. I guess there's no certain way to date these as I think they were still in use by the navy until July 31st 1970, "Black Tot Day".

Nice Jar. I bet Norman's finger prints are on there somewhere!

The completely dark jars seem to be pretty rare, I'll sort a photo out this week. But odd examples are found all the time. This weekend I bought a Doulton in very conventional light colours (normally they have darker brown tops) and a 1/2 Gallon jar without a makers name at all. Both from the Somme.

John

• 2 months later...

Saw this on Ebay listed as an SRD jar, but it's actually stamped SBD, and is by a manufacturer that I've not seen listed: Stiff, Lambeth; anyone seen one like this before, is it just a commercial jar?

post-59637-0-35031000-1321565758.jpg

post-59637-0-55922200-1321565778.jpg

Its appears they sold to Doulton in 1913.

• 4 months later...

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/21/srd1t.jpg/]srd1t.jpg[/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Seen in Ypres Salient, april 2012

All different jars

Cnock

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/srd3.jpg/]srd3.jpg[/url]

one of the makers'

Cnock

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/215/srd5.jpg/]srd5.jpg[/url]

There were some 50 of them

regards,

Cnock

The 50 rum jars were part of a collection of 300 different rum jars, collected by one person during many years.

It seems the collection is now spread over different collections.

regards,

Cnock

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone. I apologise for being away from my thread for a while but running my shop has taken over my life so I've had to drop off a couple of forums. Hope to be back later in 2012.

I'm still collecting SRD's though and the latest is a WW2 version with a paper label.

John

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/21/srd1t.jpg/]srd1t.jpg[/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Seen in Ypres Salient, april 2012

All different jars

Cnock

I love the bespoke collectors cabinet, looks like it was made for them :D

Nice to see you back John.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Mick. Hopefully will post more regularly now. John

As I went round the Brocante at Mailly-Maillet on Thursday I started to count the number of SRD jars for sale, I got to 85 and they were still being put out, there must have been an incredible number of survivors, hopefully because they were useful items not because someone has an SRD stencil.

Impressive. I did the huge Amiens Brocante in April and spotted about 15 two of which I bought. A Gibbs Canning because it was better than the one I had and a SKEY for a friend. Best find was a Maxim Ammo Box in very good condition though.

John