Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SRD Jars - Who made them?

Gunner Bailey

Im looking to pick one up for ww1 reenactment and I want to be sure if I get one with a handle that its authentic for the period :)

If you just want it for reenactment then the plain ones would be the type to go for and they were the most common type used during WW1. Also, you would probably have a hard job finding one with with a moulded handle, I've never seen one for sale. There are usually one or two (plain) SRD jars for sale on ebay for around £15 to £20 plus P&P or you could probably find them at militaria fairs. If you're anywhere near Enfield, PM me as I have one I'd be willing to let go.

Already had that discussion, unable to take up my offer of a few gratis but then I am in place where they still point at cars.

I wonder what the ones with moulded handles were used for, I have only seen them in France, which is where mine came from.

mind you what I wanted to do was discover if ones with handles were ww1. If I can get a ww2 handled one that looks the same as a ww1 one then that is fine by me :)

Just out of curiostity, why are you so set on one with a moulded handle, as they were/are very uncommon; so for reenactment, one without a handle or one with a metal handle would be more appropriate?

post-59637-0-87236300-1398863463_thumb.j

• 5 months later...

I spotted this on ebay, unfortunately it was already sold (£25), but since there are no pictures of this rarely seen (early?) dark glazed type, I thought I would post it for reference.

Made by W. Knowles & Son, Chesterfield.

post-59637-0-82269800-1412703082_thumb.j

post-59637-0-95146000-1412703109_thumb.j

post-59637-0-65119600-1412703128_thumb.j

• 5 months later...

A very informative thread!

I keep hearing about sealed jars. Does any forum member actually own one?

I have one "full jar".

Purchased at a rederie in France for 15. The vendor warned me not to drink the rum although to be honest I would have to either break the jar or the cork to get at it & could be disappointed to find the liquid inside is just water :(

Andy

I spotted this on ebay, unfortunately it was already sold (£25), but since there are no pictures of this rarely seen (early?) dark glazed type, I thought I would post it for reference.

Made by W. Knowles & Son, Chesterfield.

That's very rare jar. I've never seen another by that maker or that colour. Great find.

John

Just out of curiostity, why are you so set on one with a moulded handle, as they were/are very uncommon; so for reenactment, one without a handle or one with a metal handle would be more appropriate?

As an SRD collector I've yet to find an SRD with a moulded handle, but they are out there. It took me ten years to get a decent two gallon jar!

John

I've got one with a moulded handle, :thumbsup:

I have never seen the one in post 382 before either.

Were SRD jars made in other Commonwealth countries such as Australia and Canada? If yes, does anyone have pictures they could post? Thank you.

I've just seen a non SRD jar with the exact same handle as at post 357 and 380.

Were SRD jars made in other Commonwealth countries such as Australia and Canada? If yes, does anyone have pictures they could post? Thank you.

There was only one Supply Reserve Depot in the UK in the Great War. I suppose it's possible that similar jars could have been made in the Commonwealth for similar usage (Rum, ink, lime juice, disinfectant and acid) but they need not have been marked SRD.

All the unmarked jars I have seen that are made like SRD jars are UK made, normally in Chesterfield, Glasgow or London.

John

As an SRD collector I've yet to find an SRD with a moulded handle, but they are out there. It took me ten years to get a decent two gallon jar!

John

Yes I do thoroughly agree with you they are all out there somewhere.....................................

In the past 3 weeks I have managed to purchase as follows...

1 x ONE GALLON STONEWARE SRD .....................................................STIFF LAMBETH

1 x ONE GALLON GLASS SRD.................................... J . LUMB MAKERS ( CASTLEFORD )

1 x ONE GALLON STONEWARE SRD WITH MOULDED HANDLE.........BUCHAN PORTOBELLO EDINBURGH .

Just like London buses.

Keith

• 1 month later...
Guest Brasil

Hy. I'm french, living in Brasil and I'm really sorry because my english is really bad. I have found a stoneware jar, made in england by F.Brayne & Co, 2 gallons, with stoneware lid and an India inscription. Looking for informations about it on the internet I 've found this forum where you were talking about some kind of bottle like this one. I'm really curious to know more about it. Can you help me? Thank you very much. Aurélia - My email is aureliacerulei@gmail.com

• 1 year later...

The company remained in business until 1970    http://www.potteryhistories.com/Denbyhistory.html   so it is quite possible that their contract ran much later than WW1. Earlier posts in this topic  mention use of these jars long after WWII

Keith

I have a 1 gallon jar, ink stamped SRD, with  an impressed makers mark; "Price - Bristol". 

• 4 months later...
On 1/10/2009 at 08:21, Gunner Bailey said:

Gareth

I'd agree with you on Moira Pottery. If you do get the jar wicker covered can you post a photo? I'm sure many people would be interested.

John

s-l400.jpg

Thanks for posting. Moira are nice quality jars and quite scarce. Good find.

John

On 31/03/2015 at 20:28, chamster said:

1 x ONE GALLON STONEWARE SRD .....................................................STIFF LAMBETH

Keith

That's a new one to me. Nice find.

John