Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SRD Jars - Who made them?

Gunner Bailey

1 hour ago, Plugstreet 14-18 said:

DSC_0563.JPG

Two 1 gallon on the left M.Knowles & Son Chesterfield on the right Bolton Pottery Chesterfield

DSC_0564.JPG

1/2 gallon Mansfield Bros Church Gresley England.& 1 gallon Hartleys Ltd 

DSC_0565.JPG

A very impressive collection Plugstreet, 

it’s really interesting to see the range of colours, and especially the oddities. 

Many thanks for the tour. 

Edited by GWF1967

• 3 weeks later...

That Hartleys jar is nice and very rare. Great find. They were from Castleford.

Edited by Gunner Bailey

Just for the record really, but also a question. This Doulton one has appeared here for the princely sum of TL500 - about £60 these days, and so way above what I have paid before. It measures  31 CM  x  17,5 CM , and I was thinking of buying it out of lock-down syndrome, and then saw the hole near the base... Were some made like this for a tap? 

TIA

Julian

310320011_1.jpg

310320011_0.jpg

310320011_tn50_3.jpg

Never seen that before so I'd say a local civilian modification. 

Price too high at any rate. Doulton jars are not rare. 

Agree on the price - but if that hole was done pre-firing for a spigot (the glaze seems to cover the edges) then a one-off? I'll see if I can get better photographs!

Edited by trajan
internet slow and duplicating message

1 hour ago, trajan said:

Agree on the price - but if that hole was done pre-firing for a spigot (the glaze seems to cover the edges) then a one-off? I'll see if I can get better photographs!

It may have been drilled, to allow a flex to be threaded through, to make a lamp; 

I can’t tell if it’s glaze, or glue in the neck. 

2 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

It may have been drilled, to allow a flex to be threaded through, to make a lamp... 

That was my thinking too - once a common modification. Usually to vases that at the time would have had little other than decorative value, but now would have been rather more valuable had they lacked a hole drilled in the base... :doh:

10 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

It may have been drilled, to allow a flex to be threaded through, to make a lamp; 

I can’t tell if it’s glaze, or glue in the neck. 

7 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

That was my thinking too - once a common modification. Usually to vases that at the time would have had little other than decorative value, but now would have been rather more valuable had they lacked a hole drilled in the base... :doh:

That was my original thinking. But my experience (from antique shops, etc., over many moons) is that in such cases where pots are drilled to become a lamp, the hole is drilled in on the opposite side from the most prominent part of the design, so in this case, if it had been adapted for such use, I would have expected the hole at the rear, not the side. The other point is that it looks like there is a recess around the hole to allow a spigot to fit there. And last but not least, the glaze seems to run into that recess. BUT, if no other example has been noted of an SRD jar with such a modification made at the pottery, then I'll bend to your better opinion on the matter.

Julian

And... I'd say a hole for a tap would be 3/4" 18-20 mm. Otherwise flow would be incredibly slow. I'd support the conversation to lamp theory. 

41 minutes ago, trajan said:

That was my original thinking. But my experience (from antique shops, etc., over many moons) is that in such cases where pots are drilled to become a lamp, the hole is drilled in on the opposite side from the most prominent part of the design,

The glaze around the hole appears to be chipped, in a way I’d expect to see after a hole had been inexpertly drilled using a masonry bit.

I can picture you now;  a comfy chair, a glass of red, reading a German bayonet tome, by the light of your SRD lamp! 

Yes, this is what I was uncertain about - is that a chip or what? I'll take the communis opinio, and that on balance probably a light fitting hole - although still at odds with the usual placement for these.

Would be nice as a comfy-chair light indeed - but with a 13 and an 11 yr old also stuck in the 'house' because of lockdown, I don't think I'll get around to a comy chair and book thing for a while, although a few glasses of red will certainly sustain me in our first floor 2 bedroomed flat which - after eight weeks - seems to get smaller by the day ...:wacko:

Edited by trajan

• 3 months later...

Hi folks,

Here's a ½ gallon Skey '9' Tamworth I've just bought (seller picked this up in Albert years ago apparently).

Note the interesting metal handle, I've not seen one like that before - anyone know anything about it?

It appears to be specifically designed for this size/style of jar, as a drinking handle.

Also, funny how the manufacturer stamp is on both the side and the bottom edge, I've spotted another like that which is almost identical:

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Antico-vaso-inglese-in-pietra-Skey-9-Tamworth-S-R-D-/133282881430

Cheers,

Rob

IMG_4323.jpg

IMG_4328.jpg

IMG_4329.jpg

IMG_4330.jpg

That is an interesting handle. Never seen that before. 

The half gallon jars were normally not for Rum. The most frequently held lime juice or disinfectant.

The double stamping I have seen with Skey. An enthusiastic inspector (No.9) I suspect. 

Skey were a quality firm. Their main product was those beautiful floor tiles you find inside and outside late Victorian and Edwardian houses.  

Thanks for showing us.

• 4 months later...

Three have just popped up over here at prices ranging from 500-650 TL. I bought my first ones here a couple years back at 100-200 TL!

Any comments welcome, especially re date - this first one by Port Dundas is said to be WW2. The mark is shown at: https://www.sahibinden.com/ilan/ikinci-el-ve-sifir-alisveris-antika-dekorasyon-urunleri-eski-ingiliz-rom-sisesi-889897809/detay

Julian

x5_889897809t9t.jpg

The second is this Price of Bristol example - I helped excavate one of their kiln sites so a connection there for me!

Se: https://www.gittigidiyor.com/antika-sanat/antika-ingiliz-s-r-d-rom-kavanozu-2_pdp_310320011

Last but probably not least this - Scottish something or the other...

224554738ak3.jpg

2245547383su.jpg

34 minutes ago, chamster said:

... MOTTISHAW & BRADSHAW . MAKERS . CASTLEFORD .

Thankee kindly! I am reasonably good at Roman army inscriptions in Latin, but this one defeated me! I see from the THE LONDON GAZETTE, 21 JUNE, 1921, they went out of business on 2nd June that year, so a WW1 date is confirmed for this one!

Julian

1 hour ago, trajan said:

Thankee kindly! I am reasonably good at Roman army inscriptions in Latin, but this one defeated me! I see from the THE LONDON GAZETTE, 21 JUNE, 1921, they went out of business on 2nd June that year, so a WW1 date is confirmed for this one!

Julian

Julian

If you buy one of the three, this is the one. In my experience a rare maker. I have one, but that is the only one I've seen.

John

6 minutes ago, Gunner Bailey said:

... If you buy one of the three, this is the one. In my experience a rare maker. I have one, but that is the only one I've seen.

Just received permission from SWMBO on that one, if still available. I have three only, and no space (or money!) to form a collection but four is a nice round number! 

Julian 

• 2 weeks later...

CAN ANYONE ADD ANY NEW NAMES TO THIS LIST , OR IS THIS THE FINITE VERSION WHICH I DOUBT . 

KNOWN SRD JAR MANUFACTURERS MARKS. 

BARKER POTTERY, CHESTERFIELD .

BATESON'S 1914. ( WITH POTTERY HANDLE ) .

BATESON'S 1915 .

BOURNE . DENBY . ( WITH BROKEN POTTERY HANDLE ).

BOURNE 39 DENBY .

J . BOURNE & SON LTD . 1945 .

F . BRAYNE & CO . LIMITED . LONDON. E .

A . W .BUCHAN & CO . POTTERIES PORTOBELLO . MID LOTHIAN .

BUCHAN . PORTOBELLO . EDINBURGH . ( 2 x WITH POTTERY HANDLE ) .

CANDY DEVON . MADE IN ENGLAND .

C . CARDER & SONS . LEYS POTTERY . BRIERLEY HILL .

CALEDONIAN 5 RUTHERGLEN .

DOULTON & CO . LIMITED . LAMBETH .

DOULTON & CO . LTD . LAMBETH . ( 1/2 GALLON ) .

DOULTON & CO . LTD . 17 . LAMBETH .

THE POTTERY . FULHAM . LONDON .

GIBBS & CANNING LIMITED . DEPTFORD .

GIBBS & CANNING LTD . TAMWORTH .

GIBBS & CANNING LTD . TAMWORTH . STAFFS .

GRAY 4 . PORTOBELLO . N B .

GOVANCROFT POTTERY CO . LTD . GLASGOW .

GROSVENOR E GLASGOW .

HARTLEYS . LTD .

HUNTS PATENT . LIVERPOOL . 

M . KNOWLES & SON . CHESTERFIELD .

KENNEDY BARROWFIELD 50 POTTERIES . GLASGOW .

KENNEDY BARROWFIELD POTTERIES . GLASGOW .

LOVATT & LOVATT . LTD . ( 1/2 GALLON ) .

LOVATT & LANGLEY WARE . ENGLAND .

J . LUMB & CO . LTD . MAKERS . ( GLASS DEMIJOHN ) .

MANSFIELD BROS . CHURCH GRESLEY .

MARQUIS . POTTERY . BELFAST .

MOIRA CO LTD . POTTERY .

MOTTISHAW & BRADSHAW MAKERS . CASTLEFORD .

PRICE BRISTOL .

PRICE Z1 BRISTOL .

PRICE Z1 BRISTOL . ( 1/2 GALLON ) .

C . PHILLIPS & SON . CASTLEFORD .

C . PHILLIPS & SON . CASTLEFORD . ( 1/2 GALLON ) .

JAMES PEARSON LIMITED . CHESTERFIELD .

PEARSON & CO . THE POTTERIES . WHITTINGTON MOOR . NR . CHESTERFIELD .

PEARSON & CO . THE POTTERIES . WHITTINGTON MOOR . NR . CHESTERFIELD . ( 2 GALLON ) .

PEARSON & CO . WHITTINGTON MOOR POTTERIES . CHESTERFIELD .

JAMES PEARSON LIMITED . CHESTERFIELD . 1939 .

PEARSON & CO .( CHESTERFIELD ) LTD . WHITTINGTON MOOR . MADE IN ENGLAND . 1939 .

PEARSON & CO. ( CHESTERFIELD ) LTD . THE POTTERIES . WHITTINGTON MOOR 2 . CHESTERFIELD . 1940 .

PEARSON & CO. ( CHESTERFIELD ) LTD . THE POTTERIES . WHITTINGTON MOOR 1 . CHESTERFIELD .1943 .

PEARSON & CO. ( CHESTERFIELD ) LTD . THE POTTERIES . WHITTINGTON MOOR 2 . CHESTERFIELD . 1944 .

PEARSON & CO. ( CHESTERFIELD ) LTD . THE POTTERIES . WHITTINGTON MOOR 2 . CHESTERFIELD . 1945 .

PORT DUNDAS POTTERY CO . GLASGOW .

POSSIL POTTERY . GLASGOW .

ROBINSON . JACK LANE POTTERY . LEEDS .

STIFF . W . LAMBETH .

SKEY. 6 . TAMWORTH .

SKEY. 9 . TAMWORTH . ( 1/2 GALLON ) .

SKEY . TAMWORTH . ( 2 GALLON ) .

SLACK & BROWNLOW . GORTON . ( 1/2 GALLON .

WALLACE . BELFAST .

WALTON POTTERY CO . CHESTERFIELD .

JAMES WOODWARD LIMITED . SWADLINCOTE .

E . WRIGHT & CO . LIMITED . CHESTERFIELD .

THOS. WRAGG & SONS LTD. SWADLINCOTE .

OTHER KNOWN MARKS...........

GASKELL & CHAMBERS ( LONDON ) LTD . 1915 .

GASKELL & CHAMBERS ( LONDON ) LTD . 1917 .

BOLTON POTTERY . CHESTERFIELD .

PLEASE ADD ANY NEW MARKS YOU CAN FIND......................

Good morning,

I had the opportunity to find some (unbroken) on the field.
I'll introduce them to you later.

it is common to see a lot of broken pieces littering the front line.

Kind regards

Michel

On 18/01/2021 at 17:35, chamster said:

CAN ANYONE ADD ANY NEW NAMES TO THIS LIST , OR IS THIS THE FINITE VERSION WHICH I DOUBT . 

KNOWN SRD JAR MANUFACTURERS MARKS. 

That's a wonderful piece of work there! Many thanks from a non-SRD collector but a researcher who always values the efforts made and access given to lists like this for others to use!

Julian