Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SRD Jars - Who made them?

Gunner Bailey

21 minutes ago, Gunner Bailey said:

Hello Alexis

It's a nice jar for two reasons. It's a rare maker and the SRD marking is very unusual with small impressed letters.

If you collect them this is worth holding onto.

The word 'Makers' is just the company way of saying "we made this jar". It's fairly common on manufactured goods in that era. It is most probably a WW1 jar.

Thx

I found a list on this site from a certain chamster...

In this list is mentionned: MOTTISHAW & BRADSHAW MAKERS . CASTLEFORD .

Could it be the same as my jar from

M.BRADSHAW SON &C° MAKERS CASTLEFORD YORK ?

If not Chamster can complete his list ;)

My youngest lad dug this out of the depths of a Bristol junk shop. It’s a half gallon jar made by Lovatt & Lovatt Ltd. 

4469D310-7807-4FC5-AA8F-D9EC50138593.jpeg

F8D4F5CF-3E4E-491D-AC9E-FF85CFE5A29E.jpeg

46E049A0-00BC-4563-96F0-F0C8F44312CC.jpeg

2 hours ago, Alexis de Ruijter said:

Thx

In 1915 Walter Mottishaw and Henry Bradshaw bought Harlings Pottery in Castleford. They traded together from 1915 through to 1921 when Walter Mottishaw retired. So both these marks will date from this period . After 1921 Bradshaw continued the business with his son(s) as partners.

So yes it is the same firm but pottery marks change and many firms had multiple marks over the years.

13 minutes ago, Gunner Bailey said:

In 1915 Walter Mottishaw and Henry Bradshaw bought Harlings Pottery in Castleford. They traded together from 1915 through to 1921 when Walter Mottishaw retired. So both these marks will date from this period . After 1921 Bradshaw continued the business with his son(s) as partners.

So yes it is the same firm but pottery marks change and many firms had multiple marks over the years.

On 23/10/2021 at 12:55, chamster said:

UPDATED LIST OF KNOWN SRD MAKERS MARKS.

MY OWN COLLECTION OF SRD JAR MANUFACTURERS MARKS. 

BARKER POTTERY, CHESTERFIELD .

BATESON'S 1914. ( WITH POTTERY HANDLE ) .

BATESON'S 1915 .

BOURNE . DENBY . ( WITH BROKEN POTTERY HANDLE ).

BOURNE 39 DENBY .

J . BOURNE & SON LTD . 1945 .

F . BRAYNE & CO . LIMITED . LONDON. E .

A . W .BUCHAN & CO . POTTERIES PORTOBELLO . MID LOTHIAN .

BUCHAN . PORTOBELLO . EDINBURGH . ( 2 x WITH POTTERY HANDLE ) .

CANDY DEVON . MADE IN ENGLAND .

C . CARDER & SONS . LEYS POTTERY . BRIERLEY HILL .

CALEDONIAN 5 RUTHERGLEN .

DOULTON & CO . LIMITED . LAMBETH .

DOULTON & CO . LTD . LAMBETH . ( 1/2 GALLON ) .

DOULTON & CO . LTD . 17 . LAMBETH .

THE POTTERY . FULHAM . LONDON .

GIBBS & CANNING LIMITED . DEPTFORD .

GIBBS & CANNING LTD . TAMWORTH .

GIBBS & CANNING LTD . TAMWORTH . STAFFS .

GRAY 4 . PORTOBELLO . N B .

GOVANCROFT POTTERY CO . LTD . GLASGOW .

GOVANCROFT POTTERY . GLASGOW . ( 1/2 GALLON ) .

GROSVENOR E GLASGOW .

HARTLEYS . LTD .

HUNTS PATENT . LIVERPOOL . 

M . KNOWLES & SON . CHESTERFIELD .

KENNEDY BARROWFIELD 50 POTTERIES . GLASGOW .

KENNEDY BARROWFIELD POTTERIES . GLASGOW .

LOVATT & LOVATT . LTD . ( 1/2 GALLON ) .

LOVATT & LANGLEY WARE . ENGLAND .

J . LUMB & CO . LTD . MAKERS . ( GLASS DEMIJOHN ) .

MANSFIELD BROS . CHURCH GRESLEY .

MARQUIS . POTTERY . BELFAST .

MOIRA CO LTD . POTTERY .

MOTTISHAW & BRADSHAW MAKERS . CASTLEFORD .

PRICE BRISTOL .

PRICE Z1 BRISTOL .

PRICE Z1 BRISTOL . ( 1/2 GALLON ) .

C . PHILLIPS & SON . CASTLEFORD .

C . PHILLIPS & SON . CASTLEFORD . ( 1/2 GALLON ) .

JAMES PEARSON LIMITED . CHESTERFIELD .

PEARSON & CO . THE POTTERIES . WHITTINGTON MOOR . NR . CHESTERFIELD .

PEARSON & CO . THE POTTERIES . WHITTINGTON MOOR . NR . CHESTERFIELD . ( 2 GALLON ) .

PEARSON & CO . WHITTINGTON MOOR POTTERIES . CHESTERFIELD .

JAMES PEARSON LIMITED . CHESTERFIELD . 1939 .

PEARSON & CO .( CHESTERFIELD ) LTD . WHITTINGTON MOOR . MADE IN ENGLAND . 1939 .

PEARSON & CO. ( CHESTERFIELD ) LTD . THE POTTERIES . WHITTINGTON MOOR 2 . CHESTERFIELD . 1940 .

PEARSON & CO. ( CHESTERFIELD ) LTD . THE POTTERIES . WHITTINGTON MOOR 1 . CHESTERFIELD .1943 .

PEARSON & CO. ( CHESTERFIELD ) LTD . THE POTTERIES . WHITTINGTON MOOR 2 . CHESTERFIELD . 1944 .

PEARSON & CO. ( CHESTERFIELD ) LTD . THE POTTERIES . WHITTINGTON MOOR 2 . CHESTERFIELD . 1945 .

PORT DUNDAS POTTERY CO . GLASGOW .

POSSIL POTTERY . GLASGOW .

ROBINSON . JACK LANE POTTERY . LEEDS .

STIFF . W . LAMBETH .

SKEY. 6 . TAMWORTH .

SKEY. 9 . TAMWORTH . ( 1/2 GALLON ) .

SKEY . TAMWORTH . ( 2 GALLON ) .

SLACK & BROWNLOW . GORTON . ( 1/2 GALLON .

JOHN STEVENTON & SONS . ( BURSLEM )

WALLACE . BELFAST .

WALTON POTTERY CO . CHESTERFIELD .

JAMES WOODWARD LIMITED . SWADLINCOTE .

E . WRIGHT & CO . LIMITED . CHESTERFIELD .

THOS. WRAGG & SONS LTD. SWADLINCOTE .

OTHER KNOWN MARKS...........

H . BRADSHAW SON & CO. MAKERS . CASTLEFORD YORKS .

BROWNLOW . MANCHESTER .

GASKELL & CHAMBERS ( LONDON ) LTD . 1915 .

GASKELL & CHAMBERS ( LONDON ) LTD . 1917 .

I KNOW IT'S A LITTLE SAD BUT SOMEONE HAS TO COLLECT THEM.

IF YOU KNOW OF ANY DIFFERENT MAKERS MARKS PLEASE ADVISE.

1 hour ago, Alexis de Ruijter said:

3 hours ago, Alexis de Ruijter said:

Thx

Hi Alexis,

You will also see pictures of the same SRD Jar on page dated 5/4/20 from Plugstreet.

Trust this will be of use.

Chamster.

DSC_0572.JPG.be2952b97230ded08f15641e9cdb4337.jpg

DSC_0571.JPG.5a397b91867267754c8413407c5e99da.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi

I hadn't seen such a stoneware jar stamped with SRD and i'm very interested to find out more about them. I have a FB page for Moira Pottery and these jars have not been mentioned. I am bringing together a collection of Moira Pottery and it will be donated one day to a heritage group or museum. It isn't considered  the prettiest pottery but i consider it to be as important as any other pottery in the industrial history of the area where i live, next to Moira, at the heart of The National Forest.

For information, the company was set up in 1922 primarily to make stoneware jam jars. When glass became the new container of choice the company diversified to make kitchenware, bulb planters, garden ornaments and other crockery eg stoneware flagons for cider, wine and beer. The company finally stopped trading in 1991, seems the minerals below ground were considered more valuable than the pottery itself.

I'd appreciate seeing the back stamp of a jar and information where its likely i could purchase one for the collection? I'll also post something on the Facebook group, there's quite a few members who are ex workers at the factory and who would be interested in the jars. Could i have permission to use a photo of one of the jars to add to the post, i'll ensure i acknowledge the owner of the photo.

Thankyou

2 hours ago, Susan McK said:

Hi

I hadn't seen such a stoneware jar stamped with SRD and i'm very interested to find out more about them. I have a FB page for Moira Pottery and these jars have not been mentioned. I am bringing together a collection of Moira Pottery and it will be donated one day to a heritage group or museum. It isn't considered  the prettiest pottery but i consider it to be as important as any other pottery in the industrial history of the area where i live, next to Moira, at the heart of The National Forest.

For information, the company was set up in 1922 primarily to make stoneware jam jars. When glass became the new container of choice the company diversified to make kitchenware, bulb planters, garden ornaments and other crockery eg stoneware flagons for cider, wine and beer. The company finally stopped trading in 1991, seems the minerals below ground were considered more valuable than the pottery itself.

I'd appreciate seeing the back stamp of a jar and information where its likely i could purchase one for the collection? I'll also post something on the Facebook group, there's quite a few members who are ex workers at the factory and who would be interested in the jars. Could i have permission to use a photo of one of the jars to add to the post, i'll ensure i acknowledge the owner of the photo.

Thankyou

Hi,

The company you are talking about is this Bradshawson & Co as stated on my jar?

So Thank you for the additional information.

For what use... I obtained this Jar in West Flanders, Belgium.

I will not be able to help you further because I decided to keep the jar myself. Incidentally, the transport from Belgium would cost too much. Good luck with your collection and Facebookgroup.

Alex

Hi,

The company you are talking about is this Bradshawson & Co as stated on my jar?

So Thank you for the additional information.

For what use... I obtained this Jar in West Flanders, Belgium.

I will not be able to help you further because I decided to keep the jar myself. Incidentally, the transport from Belgium would cost too much. Good luck with your collection and Facebookgroup.

Alex

Can anyone help with this SRD jar?

Makers mark looks like a symbol as I can't make out any letters or words.

Age?

I can't find any other markings on it.

Thanks

IMG_3148.jpeg

IMG_3147.jpeg

On 15/02/2022 at 07:17, Susan McK said:

Hi

Thankyou

The Moira Pottery SRD jars were only made from the 1920s onwards. No WW1 connection but WW2 service likely.

21 hours ago, brookeratheber said:

Age?

Thanks

IMG_3148.jpeg

IMG_3147.jpeg

Your SRD is certainly from W Knowles & Son, Chesterfield

Very much appreciated!

The writing on my jar is very unclear whichever way I turn it  

I am getting quite addicted to SRD jars!

Can anyone identify the maker of this one?

Many thanks

Kind regards

Paul

D5BD84A7-A74A-431C-82CA-0260A270B2F0.jpeg

14 minutes ago, brookeratheber said:

Very much appreciated!

The writing on my jar is very unclear whichever way I turn it  

I am getting quite addicted to SRD jars!

Can anyone identify the maker of this one?

Many thanks

Kind regards

Paul

D5BD84A7-A74A-431C-82CA-0260A270B2F0.jpeg

Pearson & Co. 

The Potteries 

Whittington Moor

NR Chesterfield

On 15/02/2022 at 20:56, brookeratheber said:

Age?

Thanks

IMG_3148.jpeg

IMG_3147.jpeg

Hi brookeratheber,

I totally agree with Plugstreet 14-18. As a matter of interest I recently posted an up to date listing of known makers of SRD jars, just expand the posting. I also note that you recently purchased said jar on e-bay from salt-charl for £21.79 inc postage. I did advise him of the maker which he should have put in his item description, but you bought at a good price.  Happy Hunting.

1 hour ago, chamster said:

Hi brookeratheber,

I totally agree with Plugstreet 14-18. As a matter of interest I recently posted an up to date listing of known makers of SRD jars, just expand the posting. I also note that you recently purchased said jar on e-bay from salt-charl for £21.79 inc postage. I did advise him of the maker which he should have put in his item description, but you bought at a good price.  Happy Hunting.

you can find the jars here in Belgium and in the North of France between 4 and 8 £

On 15/02/2022 at 07:17, Susan McK said:

Hi

Thankyou

.I trust that this is what you are looking for.

image0 (12).jpeg

image1 (6).jpeg

On 17/02/2022 at 18:31, Plugstreet 14-18 said:

you can find the jars here in Belgium and in the North of France between 4 and 8 £

Only at street brocantes I think. I have seen them in French antique shops for 30-50 Euros. When I built my collection I bought mainly at village brocantes and I paid 5-20 Euros (20 for the half gallons).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi all,

What a fascinating thread this has been! Very informative. 

I picked up my first SRD jar today at a local car boot, all at a cost of an entire £5 note. B) I've been after one for ages and it's not something that is usually in abundance in my area!

It's marked with 'M. Knowles & Son Chesterfield'. In the middle of the makers lozenge is what I thought was a letter 'B', before cleaning it, but after cleaning it looks like an '18'. Would this be the year? On page 2 of this thread there is a picture of a 1917 dated example with year in the middle of the lozenge, similar to my example. :)

Many thanks,

Best regards,

Simon

image3 (4).jpg

image4 (3).jpg

image1 (3).jpg

image2 (3).jpg