Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SRD Jars - Who made them?

Gunner Bailey

On a recent thread the makers of SRD Jars was discussed. There seems to be no list of makers available.

Can forum members please check out any Jars they may have and list the makers? I'd like to compile a list.

I have jars by: -Pearson

Doulton / Lambeth

Hunts Patent - Liverpool

SKEY - Tamworth

and Kennedy - Glasgow

Please list all you have, even if someone has listed them already. This will give an idea of how common certain makes are.

Updated with suggestion from Torrey.

Hello, GB et al - Before this thread really gets going, I suggest that the list also indicates whether the "SRD" marking by each manufacturer is (a) printed onto the body, or ( stamped into the body. Additionally, why don't we indicate the manufacturers of the small size SRD jugs, while we're at it? Regards, Torrey

Many thanks in advance - Gunner Bailey

I have 5 of varying sizes one is Royal Doulton will check the others when back at work. I think from memory some have no makers markings one has a S embossed in the darker glazed brown top half

I remember someone (sadly I can't remember who) sorting through fragments at Nibrunesi point - in about 10 minutes they had about a dozen makers stamps including several Glaswegian ones..

I have one

The makers mark says.

Douton CO Limited Lambeth which is stamped on the bottom, it is the one gallon variation.

regards

Brett

Currently on hols so cannot check exactly but of all the ones I have seen/sold/bought Pearsons always seemed by far the most common.

Currently on hols so cannot check exactly but of all the ones I have seen/sold/bought Pearsons always seemed by far the most common.

Thanks for all responses so far. Some new names to me.

Max I agree. Pearsons seem to be the most common in my view as well. I own 9 jars but have viewed dozens if not hundreds in France and Pearsons figure most of the time. Two of mine are Pearson's.

Gunner Bailey

Hello, GB et al - Before this thread really gets going, I suggest that the list also indicates whether the "SRD" marking by each manufacturer is (a) printed onto the body, or (B) stamped into the body. Additionally, why don't we indicate the manufacturers of the small size SRD jugs, while we're at it? Regards, Torrey

Hello, GB et al - Before this thread really gets going, I suggest that the list also indicates whether the "SRD" marking by each manufacturer is (a) printed onto the body, or ( B) stamped into the body. Additionally, why don't we indicate the manufacturers of the small size SRD jugs, while we're at it? Regards, Torrey

Hi Torrey

I've updated post 1# with your suggestion. Thanks. I've only ever seen one 1/2 gallon SRD and couldn't check the maker.

GB

Mine's a 1 1/2 gallon Pearson make, with stamped SRD.

Half Gallon.

I have heard it mentioned that ink stamps indicate pot WW1 but no idea where that info is referenced.

Mick

Half Gallon.

I have heard it mentioned that ink stamps indicate pot WW1 but no idea where that info is referenced.

Mick

Is that 'post' WW1 Mick?

:unsure:

Not sure there is any hard and fast rule but bought and seen many jars at French Bourse as well as elsewhere and most were ink-stamped but others impressed.

As you (and GB) will know pieces of rum jar are one of the most common pick-ups in the fields and many bits I've seen/found were ink-stamped as above - they survive remarkably well.

Is that 'post' WW1 Mick?

:unsure:

Not sure there is any hard and fast rule but bought and seen many jars at French Bourse as well as elsewhere and most were ink-stamped but others impressed.

As you (and GB) will know pieces of rum jar are one of the most common pick-ups in the fields and many bits I've seen/found were ink-stamped as above - they survive remarkably well.

Yes should be post. Somewhere I have one stamped 1941 but cant find it.

I have never seen with with integral handle, there was one in fair at Albert this year but it was an obvious fake. I have found pieces with handles attached but never associated with SRD marking.

Mick

Thats as it came from a general antique/collectors shop, about five years back. I think it was about £10. No way to know how far back the handle goes I guess.

Thats as it came from a general antique/collectors shop, about five years back. I think it was about £10. No way to know how far back the handle goes I guess.

Sory I didn't nmean the wire handle, I meant a jar with a pottery handle.

Mick

No, I've not seen one with a pottery handle. I have though a 'jar in a basket' with a red stripe round the outside middle. Have in the past had a good look at it and I was unable to spot a SRD mark. Sure I've read in the past that the red stripe could indicate military usage. Paul.

This is an interesting site.

http://members.shaw.ca/coffinisland/

Mick

Thanks Mick - Interesting and poses the question why no arrow on SRD jars?

John (GB)

Mine's a 1 1/2 gallon Pearson make, with stamped SRD.

Pearson are the most common maker but 1/2 jars are rare. Nice one.

GB

Half Gallon.

Mick

Mick

Whether a mark is 'stamped' or impressed (proper name for pottery marks made into the clay) is up to the maker. It should not indicate the era. I have one mark impressed with a 1917 date, but a printed mark will not mean a later jar. All the SRD I have now came from the Somme so I am pretty sure they have been there since the end of WW1.

John

Small jar, Doulton?

Nice one - I'm envious! I've got two Doultons both with dark brown colouring.

Gunner Bailey

Have an SRD jar with an ink stamp under the glaze - Wm. Buchan , Midlothian & other unreadable words .

Have a half gallon one in the shed , will check it tomorrow .

Chris