Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SRD Jars - Who made them?

Gunner Bailey

I have a number of pieces of Moira domestic ware and have just googled to confirm my understanding of when and why it went out of production.  The tiny black flecks in Moira pots are coal, and the clay pits and factory were acquired in the early 1970s by compulsory purchase by the National Coal Board to open-cast mine the coal deposits underlying the site.  In passing, though, I noticed that the Wiki entry says that Moira was founded in 1922.  That may be wrong, of course, but if it's correct, it would seem that Moira SRD jars must be post-war, when I assume they were still made and used by the military.

On 10/04/2017 at 11:24, SiegeGunner said:

I have a number of pieces of Moira domestic ware and have just googled to confirm my understanding of when and why it went out of production.  The tiny black flecks in Moira pots are coal, and the clay pits and factory were acquired in the early 1970s by compulsory purchase by the National Coal Board to open-cast mine the coal deposits underlying the site.  In passing, though, I noticed that the Wiki entry says that Moira was founded in 1922.  That may be wrong, of course, but if it's correct, it would seem that Moira SRD jars must be post-war, when I assume they were still made and used by the military.

Thanks that's interesting. My Moira SRD is virtually the only one I've bought in the UK. All the rest come from Brocantes on the Somme.

Edited by Gunner Bailey

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:54, Gunner Bailey said:

That's a new one to me. Nice find.

John

Hello John,

Have recently acquired a one gallon jar which to me is quite unique...........it has two SRD marks on opposite sides of the shoulder, one is an ink stamp and the other impressed. The pottery mark is also new to me....THOS. WRAGG & SONS LTD. SWADLINCOTE. STAMPED IN THE BASE.

However I am still searching for a jar from...........MOIRA Co. Ltd. Pottery..............MANSFIELD Bros. Church Cresley. if anyone out there has them for sale or swap. These are the only two known makers not yet in my collection now standing at over 80 jars.

Keith

Keith

That's quite a collection!

I may have a Mansfield Bros. I'll check.

John

• 2 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 21:48, Gunner Bailey said:

Keith

That's quite a collection!

I may have a Mansfield Bros. I'll check.

John

Hello John,

Any chance of a sale or swop on the Mansfield Bros. Have recently acquired a Moira jar. If you don't wish to sell any chance of a photo of the pottery mark.

Keith.

9 hours ago, chamster said:

Hello John,

Any chance of a sale or swop on the Mansfield Bros. Have recently acquired a Moira jar. If you don't wish to sell any chance of a photo of the pottery mark.

Keith.

Apologies for the delay my jars are in storage at the moment. I hadn't forgotten. I get back to you soon.

John

On 4/13/2017 at 20:50, chamster said:

Hello John,

Have recently acquired a one gallon jar which to me is quite unique...........it has two SRD marks on opposite sides of the shoulder, one is an ink stamp and the other impressed. The pottery mark is also new to me....THOS. WRAGG & SONS LTD. SWADLINCOTE. STAMPED IN THE BASE.

However I am still searching for a jar from...........MOIRA Co. Ltd. Pottery..............MANSFIELD Bros. Church Cresley. if anyone out there has them for sale or swap. These are the only two known makers not yet in my collection now standing at over 80 jars.

Keith

It might help to point out that Moira Co Ltd. Mansfield Bros. should read Church Gresley. This is an area a stones throw from the centre of Swadlincote, south Derbyshire. I remember it well as I was in 'digs' in Church Gresley in 1977 as a young police recruit. Swadlincote was a major coal mining area until the Miners Strike brought about all manner of change. I seem to think some of the glazed and very chunky pottery coming from the area was referred to as 'Gresley Ware' and I think another big maker of it was T.G. Green. This is often referred to as Cornishware, but I feel sure there was a T.G. Green (Gresley) shop in the Gresley area when I lived there.  

David

Edited by GRANVILLE

Keith

Found it. Photos attached. Unique colour and a unique shape. A rare jar. This is the only one I've found.

David. The mark supports your post completely.

John

DSCN6362.JPG.3d8dd2107e6039a603e55006ae137d55.JPG

DSCN6361.JPG.9252e6f22c79c1534b02986ef8fa7ee1.JPG

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 09:47, Gunner Bailey said:

Keith

Found it. Photos attached. Unique colour and a unique shape. A rare jar. This is the only one I've found.

David. The mark supports your post completely.

John

DSCN6362.JPG

DSCN6361.JPG

Just now, chamster said:

Very many thanks to you John.

• 3 months later...

Hi all. I am new to this forum and to SRD jars. We were in the Somme area last week and I found this 1/2 Gallon jar in La Boisselle. Nice one I think, common Pearsons & Co make with clear manufacturer stamp on the bottom. What do you think?

IMG_20171002_102000.jpg.20b1edcf6b1d7ca9711191592d66852b.jpg

IMG_20171002_102115.jpg.6ec405bdbc80bc54147c7ad01119a97b.jpg

Pearson's are probably the most commonly found jar. They made them through to WW2 and beyond I think.  The stamp on the base changed over time so you can tell WW1 from WW2 jars. Your jar looks to be a very good example. Many are quite rough.

It's  WW1. Later Pearson jars have a date as part of the stamp. 

Here's some photos of a WW2 (1945) dated jar. The odd colouring on the first photo is just the flash.

SSCN6997.JPG.d98ce2d780101d2c956723351ce5af63.JPG

SSCN6998.JPG.4531aeb4ce6333352be0b13e2c21d36a.JPG

SSCN6999.JPG.9e801fa3320273763b195fbffe4d6a7b.JPG

Thanks for the info and the pictures Gunner. It also has the later oval shaped maker's stamp I see. I seem to remember reading somewhere in this thread that if the (older type) stamp has 'Ltd' after 'Pearson & Co' it is made after 1925. Is this true?

Nice one btw you show on the pictures with the 'Far Apart' sticker on the side. :)

Edited by Brommer66

From memory I can't say but it is probably covered in this thread.

Edited by Gunner Bailey

I found the post referring to 1925 as the year when LTD was added. It was one of your posts btw, #165 of 11Nov2008 :) Anyway, searching the net I came upon information stating 1922 as the year when the name changed to Pearson & Co (Chesterfield) Ltd. 

Edited by Brommer66

Good Evening All

When I was in France in late August of this year my brother and I popped into Tommies for a cup of coffee and was astounded at the amount of rum jars he has, hundreds of them, surely they all cannot be originals, Snide's or probably or ww2?

Regards 

Andy

3 hours ago, andrew pugh said:

Good Evening All

When I was in France in late August of this year my brother and I popped into Tommies for a cup of coffee and was astounded at the amount of rum jars he has, hundreds of them, surely they all cannot be originals, Snide's or probably or ww2?

Regards 

Andy

Hi Andy,

SRD jars were produced in large quantities I understand, and I guess a lot of them did survive. So I think there is no real need for the 'trade' to make reproductions. Le Tommie just has imo an exceptional large stock of these. Btw, what do you mean by 'Snide's' ?

Jos

Edited by Brommer66

Hi Jos

The word Snide is also used as a slang word where I come from and can mean crafty one or not real, or even repro or not authentic.

I know that there were probably millions of them made during the two World Wars., but where did all that quantity come from?

Regards 

Andy 

On 10/8/2017 at 21:05, andrew pugh said:

Good Evening All

Regards 

Andy

Andy

Yes they will all be original and 95% or more will be WW1. I've done quite a lot of field walking and in almost every location I've seen bits of broken SRD jars. If you go to the many street brocantes on the Somme you will always see SRD jars. The French families must have harvested them in the thousands. Prices vary depending on the seller. €5 and upwards. French antique dealers normally charge €25-30 for them. I've seen a couple for sale in UK antique shops in the £20-£30 region.

John

• 4 weeks later...

How common are SRD jars with manufacturer's markings, date and broad arrow marking?

ON0170-3.jpg

7 hours ago, Rum Ration said:

How common are SRD jars with manufacturer's markings, date and broad arrow marking?

Hello Rum Ration,

They are about although not that common to have all 3 marks on the one jar. This is a new makers mark to me and my collection of over 85 jars in total makes it a little special. Having said that I don't think there is a finite list of makers marks that seem to keep coming out of the woodwork

If it is not too much trouble would much appreciate a photo of the whole jar showing SRD font and colour.

Nice jar anytime you want to sell please let me know.

ON0170-3.jpg

1 hour ago, chamster said:

Here you go chamster.

ON0170.jpg

Edited by Rum Ration