Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SRD Jars - Who made them?

Gunner Bailey

Letters such as B are normally inspector's ident stamps. It could be 18 though.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I saw this Rum Jar at a local auction. I was wondering is it possible to put a rough date on this one from the manufactures markings on the base. I suspect that it might be  from the Great War period from the bit of research I've done. 

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot_20221129-195627_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221129-195646_Chrome.jpg

IMG-20221129-WA0000.jpg

Yes, that's a WW1 Pearson stamp. Only WW2 Pearson jars were dated.

• 1 month later...

I am a basket weaver researching willow encasements for RN rum jars and would like to try and replicate one. Does anyone know of a pattern , instructions, or  where/ how these were worked? 

23 minutes ago, viv said:

I am a basket weaver researching willow encasements for RN rum jars and would like to try and replicate one. Does anyone know of a pattern , instructions, or  where/ how these were worked? 

Would photos help?

I have a few photos, and can see and handle  one or two in museum collections (Portsmouth and Cardiff)  but actually yes that would help - close ups of the base, where the base is joined to the body, the  top rim, the 'lid' , if anyone can help. Details like variation in design ( with/ without lid or handle) , was a specific willow used (pics I've seen look like black maul but maybe it was whatever was available ). Thank you for any help!

An interesting and worthwhile project! Good luck!

Trajan

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some photos of a WW1 jar in the wicker case.

DSCN1723.JPG

DSCN1724.JPG

DSCN1725.JPG

Edited by Gunner Bailey
images upside down

A few more.

DSCN1722.JPG

DSCN1726.JPG

DSCN1727.JPG

It's a bit battered but well after 100+ years there are not many in mint condition.

It's incredibly well preserved for an organic material that has no doubt had an interesting life though . Would it have been used in the army in ww1? I understand the navy took on the idea for smaller boats and subs later. 

Is the basketry  lid attached to the basket body ? 

I think the majority of jars for the army were without a wicker cover but had a wire and wooden handle. They may have been for Navy exclusively. They are rarer than the plain jars. A few years ago I dismantled a poor condition wicker basket, which was literally falling to pieces. The cone shaped 'lid' was simply held in place by the top rim of the basket and the handles.

WW2 Navy wicker jars often have a red band painted around the middle, about 2 inches wide.

Edited by Gunner Bailey

OK that makes sense.I have just bought a chipped jar on ebay partially wickered (the rest has broken away with wear so no base to look at. Your photo is very clear so it should be easy to replicate).

I'll start working through the potteries mentioned at the beginning of the thread as I think they may have clues about the basketry. 

As an aside there is a fascinating  article  about artillery covered shells if you Google 'Dryad and the MERL artillery shell basket '.

Could anyone tell me if this was ww1 or ww2 ? By the maker being SKEY 9 TAMWORTH looks like a 1/2 gallon 

Regards josh 

16744019424792199162994707609382.jpg

1674401958811797311426567003252.jpg

Edited by josh2345678

Almost certainly WW1. SKEY were makers of high quality floor tiles, ceramic pipes and insulators. They were taken over in 1935 and I believe the name SKEY was no longer used after that date. The number 9 refers to the inspector who checked the jar.

Apparently bought out by Doulton's in 1935, but then in use from 1938 until the 1960's by Doulton Insulators, apparently for those ceramic insulators found on telegraph poles, etc.  So on this evidence the jar has to be pre 1935/38 and yes, probably WW1. Not a common maker though!

See e.g.: https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/George_Skey_and_Co and follow it through 

For an AP of the works dated 1934 see - http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epr000093

Trajan

3 hours ago, trajan said:

Apparently bought out by Doulton's in 1935, but then in use from 1938 until the 1960's by Doulton Insulators, apparently for those ceramic insulators found on telegraph poles, etc.  So on this evidence the jar has to be pre 1935/38 and yes, probably WW1. Not a common maker though!

Trajan

But not particularly rare though. There are quite a few around and like their floor tiles are of the very best quality. The jar pictured is most likely to be WW1 as that was the probably the time of maximum production, BUT the jars can pre date WW1 and were also produced into WW2 of course. I doubt if Doulton still has the SKEY records though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/04/2018 at 16:29, chamster said:

KNOWN SRD JAR MANUFACTURERS MARKS. (in my collection 1 gallon size unless stated)

BARKER POTTERY, CHESTERFIELD .

BATESON'S 1914. ( WITH POTTERY HANDLE ) .

BATESON'S 1915 .

BOURNE . DENBY . ( WITH BROKEN POTTERY HANDLE ).

BOURNE 39 DENBY .

J . BOURNE & SON LTD . 1945 .

F . BRAYNE & CO . LIMITED . LONDON. E .

A . W .BUCHAN & CO . POTTERIES PORTOBELLO . MID LOTHIAN .

BUCHAN . PORTOBELLO . EDINBURGH . ( 2 x WITH POTTERY HANDLE ) .

CANDY DEVON . MADE IN ENGLAND .

C . CARDER & SONS . LEYS POTTERY . BRIERLEY HILL .

CALEDONIAN 5 RUTHERGLEN .

DOULTON & CO . LIMITED . LAMBETH .

DOULTON & CO . LTD . LAMBETH . ( 1/2 GALLON ) .

DOULTON & CO . LTD . 17 . LAMBETH .

THE POTTERY . FULHAM . LONDON .

GIBBS & CANNING LIMITED . DEPTFORD .

GIBBS & CANNING LTD . TAMWORTH .

GIBBS & CANNING LTD . TAMWORTH . STAFFS .

GRAY 4 . PORTOBELLO . N B .

GOVANCROFT POTTERY CO . LTD . GLASGOW .

GROSVENOR E GLASGOW .

HARTLEYS . LTD .

HUNTS PATENT . LIVERPOOL . 

M . KNOWLES & SON . CHESTERFIELD .

KENNEDY BARROWFIELD 50 POTTERIES . GLASGOW .

KENNEDY BARROWFIELD POTTERIES . GLASGOW .

LOVATT & LOVATT . LTD . ( 1/2 GALLON ) .

LOVATT & LANGLEY WARE . ENGLAND .

J . LUMB & CO . LTD . MAKERS . ( GLASS DEMIJOHN ) .

MANSFIELD BROS . CHURCH GRESLEY .

MARQUIS . POTTERY . BELFAST .

MOTTISHAW & BRADSHAW MAKERS . CASTLEFORD .

PRICE BRISTOL .

PRICE Z1 BRISTOL .

PRICE Z1 BRISTOL . ( 1/2 GALLON ) .

C . PHILLIPS & SON . CASTLEFORD .

C . PHILLIPS & SON . CASTLEFORD . ( 1/2 GALLON ) .

JAMES PEARSON LIMITED . CHESTERFIELD .

PEARSON & CO . THE POTTERIES . WHITTINGTON MOOR . NR . CHESTERFIELD .

PEARSON & CO . THE POTTERIES . WHITTINGTON MOOR . NR . CHESTERFIELD . ( 2 GALLON ) .

PEARSON & CO . WHITTINGTON MOOR POTTERIES . CHESTERFIELD .

JAMES PEARSON LIMITED . CHESTERFIELD . 1939 .

PEARSON & CO .( CHESTERFIELD ) LTD . WHITTINGTON MOOR . MADE IN ENGLAND . 1939 .

PEARSON & CO. ( CHESTERFIELD ) LTD . THE POTTERIES . WHITTINGTON MOOR 2 . CHESTERFIELD . 1940 .

PEARSON & CO. ( CHESTERFIELD ) LTD . THE POTTERIES . WHITTINGTON MOOR 1 . CHESTERFIELD .1943 .

PEARSON & CO. ( CHESTERFIELD ) LTD . THE POTTERIES . WHITTINGTON MOOR 2 . CHESTERFIELD . 1944 .

PEARSON & CO. ( CHESTERFIELD ) LTD . THE POTTERIES . WHITTINGTON MOOR 2 . CHESTERFIELD . 1945 .

PORT DUNDAS POTTERY CO . GLASGOW .

POSSIL POTTERY . GLASGOW .

ROBINSON . JACK LANE POTTERY . LEEDS .

STIFF . W . LAMBETH .

SKEY. 6 . TAMWORTH .

SKEY. 9 . TAMWORTH . ( 1/2 GALLON ) .

SKEY . TAMWORTH . ( 2 GALLON ) .

SLACK & BROWNLOW . GORTON . ( 1/2 GALLON .

WALLACE . BELFAST .

WALTON POTTERY CO . CHESTERFIELD .

JAMES WOODWARD LIMITED . SWADLINCOTE .

E . WRIGHT & CO . LIMITED . CHESTERFIELD .

OTHER KNOWN MARKS...........

GASKELL & CHAMBERS ( LONDON ) LTD . 1915 .

GASKELL & CHAMBERS ( LONDON ) LTD . 1917 .

ANY NEW ADDITIONS NOT LISTED I WILL BE VERY PLEASED TO HEAR FROM YOU, EVEN BETTER WITH A PHOTO OF JAR & MARK.

This might be a stupid question but I just picked up an SRD jug with "PEARSON & CO .( CHESTERFIELD ) LTD . WHITTINGTON MOOR . MADE IN ENGLAND . 1939" on the bottom. Am I right in thinking the '1939' there is the date of manufacture? and therefore this jug dates from the second world war? 

The seller also said the label (pictured) is the original, though Im sceptical on this point!2.jpeg.1e19fa645fc26f6a3f06b12d56ad6c4d.jpeg1.jpeg.a9129acaaf2b0defc87bb93b78edb353.jpeg

Any help greatly appreciated.

Andrew

7 hours ago, reluctantuncle said:

Am I right in thinking the '1939' there is the date of manufacture? and therefore this jug dates from the second world war? 

1.jpeg.a9129acaaf2b0defc87bb93b78edb353.jpeg

Yes - these jars were still being made and issued throughout WW2, and can be found dated as late as 1945, eg:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/equipment-field-gear/srd-rum-ration-jar-1945-dated-629852/

WW2 German, Soviet, Allied militaria, uniforms, awards, weapons history.  War relics forum

Edited by Andrew Upton

I doubt if the label is original. There were labels stuck onto WW2 jars but they normally advised on storage conditions.