Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SRD Jars - Who made them?

Gunner Bailey

3 hours ago, Rum Ration said:

Here you go chamster.

ON0170.jpg

Sorry Rum Ration but unable to open file in its current format, Is it possible to resend in different format.

Many thanks Keith.

Re post 423 "How common are SRD jars with manufacturer's markings, date and broad arrow marking?"

Very uncommon. Great jar!

• 2 months later...

Hi. Got an SRD jar with  ink markings. Only manufacturer mark is an oval with what looks like 'POSKIT' WARE,  Made in GLASGOW or SLABROW ? Cant quite make out name.   Any ideas on the maker ??

Will get some photos on soon.

Richard

20180204_112210.jpg

20180204_112256.jpg

20180204_112243.jpg

Edited by sturgis

Think I found my own answer. Possil Pottery, Glasgow. 'POSSIL WARE'

Interesting article on the companies history on this link.  They seem to have taken on their first Ministry of Supply / Admiralty contracts in 1936 and supplied their last in early 1943.

http://www.scottishpotterysociety.co.uk/show.php?contentid=47

Found a clearer mark on an exhibition piece which confirms the mark.

rICHARD

EBAY_83_067_m.JPG

• 2 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 07:33, Rum Ration said:

How common are SRD jars with manufacturer's markings, date and broad arrow marking?

ON0170-3.jpg

Hi Rum Ration,

Just recently spotted your GASKELL & CHAMBERS jar with date and broad arrow. Did you copy the pics from the website also did you manage to purchase it. I noticed they also had one dated 1917, both now appear to be sold at $495 not bad for a discarded pot. I hope to soon compile a list of known makers marks, any additions will be most welcome .

Best regards Keith.

KNOWN SRD JAR MANUFACTURERS MARKS. (in my collection 1 gallon size unless stated)

BARKER POTTERY, CHESTERFIELD .

BATESON'S 1914. ( WITH POTTERY HANDLE ) .

BATESON'S 1915 .

BOURNE . DENBY . ( WITH BROKEN POTTERY HANDLE ).

BOURNE 39 DENBY .

J . BOURNE & SON LTD . 1945 .

F . BRAYNE & CO . LIMITED . LONDON. E .

A . W .BUCHAN & CO . POTTERIES PORTOBELLO . MID LOTHIAN .

BUCHAN . PORTOBELLO . EDINBURGH . ( 2 x WITH POTTERY HANDLE ) .

CANDY DEVON . MADE IN ENGLAND .

C . CARDER & SONS . LEYS POTTERY . BRIERLEY HILL .

CALEDONIAN 5 RUTHERGLEN .

DOULTON & CO . LIMITED . LAMBETH .

DOULTON & CO . LTD . LAMBETH . ( 1/2 GALLON ) .

DOULTON & CO . LTD . 17 . LAMBETH .

THE POTTERY . FULHAM . LONDON .

GIBBS & CANNING LIMITED . DEPTFORD .

GIBBS & CANNING LTD . TAMWORTH .

GIBBS & CANNING LTD . TAMWORTH . STAFFS .

GRAY 4 . PORTOBELLO . N B .

GOVANCROFT POTTERY CO . LTD . GLASGOW .

GROSVENOR E GLASGOW .

HARTLEYS . LTD .

HUNTS PATENT . LIVERPOOL . 

M . KNOWLES & SON . CHESTERFIELD .

KENNEDY BARROWFIELD 50 POTTERIES . GLASGOW .

KENNEDY BARROWFIELD POTTERIES . GLASGOW .

LOVATT & LOVATT . LTD . ( 1/2 GALLON ) .

LOVATT & LANGLEY WARE . ENGLAND .

J . LUMB & CO . LTD . MAKERS . ( GLASS DEMIJOHN ) .

MANSFIELD BROS . CHURCH GRESLEY .

MARQUIS . POTTERY . BELFAST .

MOTTISHAW & BRADSHAW MAKERS . CASTLEFORD .

PRICE BRISTOL .

PRICE Z1 BRISTOL .

PRICE Z1 BRISTOL . ( 1/2 GALLON ) .

C . PHILLIPS & SON . CASTLEFORD .

C . PHILLIPS & SON . CASTLEFORD . ( 1/2 GALLON ) .

JAMES PEARSON LIMITED . CHESTERFIELD .

PEARSON & CO . THE POTTERIES . WHITTINGTON MOOR . NR . CHESTERFIELD .

PEARSON & CO . THE POTTERIES . WHITTINGTON MOOR . NR . CHESTERFIELD . ( 2 GALLON ) .

PEARSON & CO . WHITTINGTON MOOR POTTERIES . CHESTERFIELD .

JAMES PEARSON LIMITED . CHESTERFIELD . 1939 .

PEARSON & CO .( CHESTERFIELD ) LTD . WHITTINGTON MOOR . MADE IN ENGLAND . 1939 .

PEARSON & CO. ( CHESTERFIELD ) LTD . THE POTTERIES . WHITTINGTON MOOR 2 . CHESTERFIELD . 1940 .

PEARSON & CO. ( CHESTERFIELD ) LTD . THE POTTERIES . WHITTINGTON MOOR 1 . CHESTERFIELD .1943 .

PEARSON & CO. ( CHESTERFIELD ) LTD . THE POTTERIES . WHITTINGTON MOOR 2 . CHESTERFIELD . 1944 .

PEARSON & CO. ( CHESTERFIELD ) LTD . THE POTTERIES . WHITTINGTON MOOR 2 . CHESTERFIELD . 1945 .

PORT DUNDAS POTTERY CO . GLASGOW .

POSSIL POTTERY . GLASGOW .

ROBINSON . JACK LANE POTTERY . LEEDS .

STIFF . W . LAMBETH .

SKEY. 6 . TAMWORTH .

SKEY. 9 . TAMWORTH . ( 1/2 GALLON ) .

SKEY . TAMWORTH . ( 2 GALLON ) .

SLACK & BROWNLOW . GORTON . ( 1/2 GALLON .

WALLACE . BELFAST .

WALTON POTTERY CO . CHESTERFIELD .

JAMES WOODWARD LIMITED . SWADLINCOTE .

E . WRIGHT & CO . LIMITED . CHESTERFIELD .

OTHER KNOWN MARKS...........

GASKELL & CHAMBERS ( LONDON ) LTD . 1915 .

GASKELL & CHAMBERS ( LONDON ) LTD . 1917 .

ANY NEW ADDITIONS NOT LISTED I WILL BE VERY PLEASED TO HEAR FROM YOU, EVEN BETTER WITH A PHOTO OF JAR & MARK.

Edited by chamster

Thanks for the list Keith. I'll compare it to my own list but I think you have some I don't have.

John

Just discovered this interesting old thread.

It sounds like some of you have BIG collections of these jars and I was just wondering where on earth you keep them ! ! !

I presume your wives don't want them in her display cabinets?

BillyH.

I couldn't fit a wife in the display cabinet anyway so there is no problem.

Sorry,  shouldn't have said that.   I only have three of the jars, so that isn't too much of a problem in the Roberts hovel.

On 28 April 2018 at 10:12, BillyH said:

It sounds like some of you have BIG collections of these jars and I was just wondering where on earth you keep them ! ! !

BillyH.

On 28 April 2018 at 16:52, keithmroberts said:

I couldn't fit a wife in the display cabinet anyway so there is no problem.

Sorry,  shouldn't have said that.   I only have three of the jars, so that isn't too much of a problem in the Roberts hovel.

Reminds me of when my husband was in the International Plastic Modellers Society (some very clever folk with brilliant detailed models). One of the talk/meetings at his local group was 'Where to hide all those kits you bought so the wife can't find them'. 

I thought it should be 'Where to look for the kits that are no longer in the place you thought your wife didn't know about' !!

As long as they are EMPTY rum jars i'm sure it's a very good hobby, just as well because they would be much harder to hide than plastic models? :)

BillyH.

• 1 month later...

Just picked up here in Ankara a nice BRAYNE example - only the second SRD jug I have seen here in almost 10 years of visiting the Antika Pazari! It is a one gallon example. Of course, the seller assured me it was 'Canakkale'dan', i.e. from Gallipoli, but I guess these were used in Syrio-palestine and Mesopotamia also? Whatever, I decided to buy it and it came quite cheap - I think! - at TL 150...

Incidentally, while having a quick Google for any extra information, I stumbled across this Duutch site: http://www.grootheers.be/html/informatie_s_r_d_kruiken.html which reproduces a paragraph from an 'official record' dated 15th September 1919 that lists 'several thousand' what I assume are SRD jars at the 'Supply Reserve Depot, Cattle Market, Deptford' - anyone know where / what this document is? 

Trajan

Has anyone seen RASC on the post ww1 jars, info from Army book "Specifications for Supplies-RASC 1947.

RASC Rum jar.jpg

Edited by morrisc8

• 1 month later...
On 28/04/2018 at 10:12, BillyH said:

Just discovered this interesting old thread.

BillyH.

I used to keep mine in my conservatory. It had a long shelf on 3 sides which accommodated about 35 jars. Sadly the jars lasted longer than the conservatory and the latter was demolished a couple of years ago. Since then I've sold off a number of jars and stored the remainder in my loft.

People do build extensions for their hobbies. A couple of years ago I met a man at Detling who has built a large extension for his 300+ deactivated guns and I knew a man in Switzerland who built a sound room with perfect acoustics for his Hi - Fi system. The extension cost £20,000 and that was 30 years ago! Big bucks on a hobby.

Also :

A friend of mine recently bought a large wooden crate marked SRD thinking it would hold 4 rum jars. Sadly on the base it had marking that showed it had carried biscuits.

John

Edited by Gunner Bailey

On 03/06/2018 at 10:57, trajan said:

Incidentally, while having a quick Google for any extra information, I stumbled across this Duutch site: http://www.grootheers.be/html/informatie_s_r_d_kruiken.html which reproduces a paragraph from an 'official record' dated 15th September 1919 that lists 'several thousand' what I assume are SRD jars at the 'Supply Reserve Depot, Cattle Market, Deptford' - anyone know where / what this document is? 

Trajan

In 1919 the government held hundreds of auction selling off surplus WW1 equipment. (Oh to have been there) You could buy anything from a Whippet tank to thousands of Mills grenade castings or thousands of SRD jars. Many of the old army huts that still serve as village halls, cricket pavilions etc all came from these auctions.

This document would have been one of the many catalogues printed at the time for each auction. If you can see one they make amazing reading and make collectors and antique dealers feel feint.

John

• 4 months later...

Great thread !

As an avid collector of all things Great war related came across this handled SRD, believed to be first world war.

It is stamped as Doulton lambeth ltd but no date but the interesting point with this jar and i have to admit i have never seen a similar type is that the letters SRD have been painted on, or they appear to have been.

Can anyone vouch for this style of Jar, it looks authentic along with the handle but all my other jars are either embossed or ink stamped.

IMG_7473.JPG

I have an identical one that I acquired at least 10 years ago, possibly 15, on the Somme. Mine lacks the metal handle, but also I'm pleased to say it lacks the chip.  I can't remember now whether it came from a village street sale, or was the one I bought from the tea rooms at La Boisselle as I acquired two on the same trip.

58 minutes ago, keithmroberts said:

I have an identical one that I acquired at least 10 years ago, possibly 15, on the Somme. Mine lacks the metal handle, but also I'm pleased to say it lacks the chip.  I can't remember now whether it came from a village street sale, or was the one I bought from the tea rooms at La Boisselle as I acquired two on the same trip.

:) 

The chip is disappointing i must admit but the paint is what made me buy it.

I did think this was quite a unique jar, sadly it doesnt sound that uncommon. 

It will look nice sat with the rest :D

On 03/06/2018 at 10:57, trajan said:

Trajan

Hi Trajan

I think I missed answering your post in full regarding where?

The SRD was initially a Shipbuilding yard at Deptford Creek dating from the 1500's. A corner of the yard became a victualling depot in 1742 and the infamous RN ship's biscuits were made there.

The shipyard / Victualling depot covered many acres and was finally cleared post WW2 and replaced by large council estates.Covering what is now mainly the Peyps and Evelyn Estates but reaching almost as far as the Rotherhithe Tunnel. The cattle market was just that, Cattle were brought in for the Navy, sold with the price being determined by the condition of the cattle and in the same area of the 'market' was a huge Tudor barn, where cattle feed was kept. The barn was sadly demolished in the 1950's. The SRD Rum works was towards the Rotherhithe end of the site and I understand that a part of the old rum works is now housing.

The SRD started supplying the Army in the Boer war.

In WW1 there was one SRD site. In WW2 the organisation had five sites around the UK.

John

• 2 months later...