Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SRD Jars - Who made them?

Gunner Bailey

Trish has put her foot down, no more SRD jars, or nearer the truth 'NO MORE B****Y SRD JARS!'.

Ooops just counted 30 in my conservatory. Liz is of a like mind to Trish but they do tend to arrive by the back door.

John

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Got another one! New maker - Mansfield Bros - Church Gresley. An unusual all white jar.

John

SRD.... Seldom & Rarely Delivered.

SRD.... Seldom & Rarely Delivered.

Or.... Service Rum Diluted, Seldom Reaches Destination, Soon Runs Dry, Service Rum Distribution, Standard Rum Diluted, Service Rum Depot and more, all of which are of course wrong.

John

OK Guys, what can you tell me about this baby?

Image1_zps047caa06.jpg

Bromley by Bow (East London) Pottery of F Brayne. Impressed marks. Nice metal handle. WW1 vintage. Good find! John

I have a bit of information on this one, it came from Henry Downes and Co., Waterford Wine and Spirit Bonders, The lad who was selling these said he bought a heap of them, with labels from the same company to be stuck on the side.

Cheers.

Tom.

Hi Tom. I think that is the first time I've heard of a commercial re-use of SRD jars. Certainly that adds to their story.

John

Or.... Service Rum Diluted, Seldom Reaches Destination, Soon Runs Dry, Service Rum Distribution, Standard Rum Diluted, Service Rum Depot and more, all of which are of course wrong.

John

Thanks Gunner. They have been added to my list.

Edited by Ghazala

• 5 months later...

Well spotted.

keith

• 2 months later...

Did ww1 jars ever have ceramic handles? I know there is one earlier in this thread with 1914 on it, but I think i noticed a comment that this may be when the firm was set up rather than date of jar

Usually, no they didn't, if they had handles, they would be as described in the image on post 353 on this page, but most examples you will come across have no handle of any kind. The SRD marked jar with a moulded handle on page 3 post 61 which you are probably referring to would be very much an exception, AFAIK?

This is another of mine.

post-11859-0-95749800-1398708042_thumb.j

is it def. ww1. There was a jar earlier in the thread with 1914 on it and a handle but i think a later comment said this may be the date the company who made it began, not the date of the bottle

I think the one with the date '1915' was the Bourne example. I have no idea of the date of the handled examples, the maker of this one is 'Buchan', the only dated ones I have are WW2 with the date printed on the base. The only way to date SRD jars is by the dates the maker existed and that would possibly be a wide margin unless you had access to the order books. I certainly would be very dubious taking anyones word that it was a 'dug' example (in fact I would laugh and wander off). They are available in their thousands in French Brocantes. I paid 5euros for the one with the handle. I have seen a picture of them being used in Malaya in the 50's but I don't think I've seen a picture of them in WW2.

I think it would be safer to go with the plain ones and there are plenty of them about.

is it def. ww1. There was a jar earlier in the thread with 1914 on it and a handle but i think a later comment said this may be the date the company who made it began, not the date of the bottle

From memory there are lots of shards of rum jars with moulded looped handles at Gallipoli. The battlefields are largely unchanged and Suvla in particular is simply littered with smashed rum jars. Due to the glazing some look as if they were broken only yesterday. I am not 100% sure but if memory serves I think I recall seeing handles. Ask GWF member the Plumed Goose who lives there - he has a decent collection. MG

What county (country?) are you in?