Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SRD Jars - Who made them?

Gunner Bailey

I have only just found this web site so I hope this message gets posted.

In my collection of 70 plus SRD jars I have a few marks extra to your list...........

HARTLEYS This is CASTLEFORD.

GIBBS & CANNING DEPTFORD

W KNOWLES CHESTERFIELD.

CANDY DEVON.

SLACK & BROWNLOW GORTON. This should answer another question.

JAMES WOODWARD SWADLINCOTE.

GRAY PORTOBELLO.

My collection is mainly of the 1 gallon size although I do have a few 2 gallon & 1/2 gallon sizes. Would like to see a picture of the E POTTER CHESTERFIELD mark if possible.

You are most welcome to the forum and this thread especially!

70 Jars, strewth you must live in a palace! Must be great to see. I've got about 25 and they take up a lot of room.

New to me are Hartleys, Candy , Slack & Brownlow (is that my large oval mark?). I recently bought a Gray of Portobello but have not updated the list. I've not got a Potter jar but I think there was a photo in the French Militaria magazine mentioned earlier in the thread.

John

I wonder if we should be looking at the colour variations and SRD wording now of each maker?

Mick

I have only just found this web site so I hope this message gets posted.

In my collection of 70 plus SRD jars I have a few marks extra to your list...........

HARTLEYS This is CASTLEFORD.

GIBBS & CANNING DEPTFORD

W KNOWLES CHESTERFIELD.

CANDY DEVON.

SLACK & BROWNLOW GORTON. This should answer another question.

JAMES WOODWARD SWADLINCOTE.

GRAY PORTOBELLO.

My collection is mainly of the 1 gallon size although I do have a few 2 gallon & 1/2 gallon sizes. Would like to see a picture of the E POTTER CHESTERFIELD mark if possible.

Just a note:

Gibbs Canning were from Tamworth but they bought Deptford Ware Stoneware in 1918. So most of their SRDs would have been from Tamworth. They obviously made a sensible link to SE London as the Jars were filled at the SRD that was about a mile from Deptford.

John

You are most welcome to the forum and this thread especially!

70 Jars, strewth you must live in a palace! Must be great to see. I've got about 25 and they take up a lot of room.

New to me are Hartleys, Candy , Slack & Brownlow (is that my large oval mark?). I recently bought a Gray of Portobello but have not updated the list. I've not got a Potter jar but I think there was a photo in the French Militaria magazine mentioned earlier in the thread.

John

Thanks I have checked the previous thread but unable to see the relevent page.If anyone out there has a copy of Sept 2008 French Miliaria I would like to see more details of the mark.At this moment I am thinking its................thE POTTERy CHESTERFIELD. Maybe just a poor PEARSON MARK.

Thanks I have checked the previous thread but unable to see the relevent page.If anyone out there has a copy of Sept 2008 French Miliaria I would like to see more details of the mark.At this moment I am thinking its................thE POTTERy CHESTERFIELD. Maybe just a poor PEARSON MARK.

Or a poor Barker Pottery - Chesterfield mark?

John

You probably covered this posts ago, but is there a list of suppliers in the Admiralty records?

You probably covered this posts ago, but is there a list of suppliers in the Admiralty records?

I don't think we have covered that ground yet. But also, as jars were supplied to the Army from the Boer War, contracts especially in WW1, may not be exclusive to the Navy.

John

Bonjour,

Sorry for the delay. I have trouble to insert the picture. Can you send me an e-mail to jeffcy67@gmail.com and I will enclosed the picture.

Thanks - Will do.

John

Thanks - Will do.

John

Photo of the previously unknown jar stamp - much better than on my own example. Many thanks Jean-Francois.

John

post-8629-1256730362.jpg

• 2 months later...
Guest invernessian60

post-19978-1262085740.jpgpost-19978-1262085740.jpg

I'm not a collector or researcher of SRD jars but have drunk the contents in twenty four years in the Royal Navy!!

I do have a one gallon sealed (cork and wax seal, discoloured but was red) stone jar in the wicker basket with the red band round. RN Victualling Yard. The contents are still in the jar.....Rum! I do not know if it is SRD jar or not.

The Admiralty sold off the remaining stocks after the tot was stopped in 1970.

Sorry about the two images....don't know how I managed that!

• 4 weeks later...

We've got a sergeant-major

Who's never seen a gun

He's mentioned in despatches

For drinking privates' rum

And when he sees old Jerry

You should see the b***** run

Miles and miles behind the lines!

post-19978-1262085740.jpg

I'm not a collector or researcher of SRD jars but have drunk the contents in twenty four years in the Royal Navy!!

I do have a one gallon sealed (cork and wax seal, discoloured but was red) stone jar in the wicker basket with the red band round. RN Victualling Yard. The contents are still in the jar.....Rum! I do not know if it is SRD jar or not.

The Admiralty sold off the remaining stocks after the tot was stopped in 1970.

Sorry about the two images....don't know how I managed that!

Hi Matelot

Hang onto that full jar. If you go back into this thread you will see a reference to some filled jars being sold at auction for a lot of money.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Matelot

Thank you for re-introducing me to a common sight in my time in the Rum Store of an HM Victualling Yard. A "batch" of these was around 2200 jars filled with Rum IS (Issue Strength) 95.5 degrees proof (55% alcohol),corked and redwax sealed and impressed with Anchor device/seal number. Then issued to such as submarines,minewsweepers,other smaller craft with an entitlement,various other Service units and,every autumn, a large batch with 2 jars per wooden crate prepared for the long winter of the British Antarctic Survey,sent on the John Biscoe and the RN guardship of the time. In case readers are wondering,not you Matelot,because you already know,other issues were in various sizes of cask (at 96.5 degrees proof) to the larger ships/shore establishments.

The pic may be a good time to show my comment form a previous post here concerning the sealing of the wicker. The top piece from which protrudes the neck of the jar was the last piece to be added after the jar was inserted at manufacture,it being woven into the body.

The red band was to tell the wily and imaginative matelot not to stow it near hot pipes !!! But then you knew that !

Sotonmate

PS I did my last jar batch in 1965,so it is unlikely to be one that I filled !

The red band was to tell the wily and imaginative matelot not to stow it near hot pipes

Sotonmate

Thanks Norman, I expect that is new information to many of us.

John

The red band was to tell the wily and imaginative matelot not to stow it near hot pipes !!! But then you knew that !

Sotonmate

Norman

I've got a wicker covered SRD without the red band. Does that automatically make it Army?

John

• 2 months later...

Probably not of any real interest here, however, I'll just mention Bateson's operated from Burton in Lonsdale. Any jar (not necessarily S.R.D examples) carrying this potters mark are exceptionally hard to find.

I'll throw this in also, re Possil Pottery.

Memorandum dated February 1941, however, gives a very telling overall picture of the Pottery business. Wages and expenses had risen ‘out of all proportion to the business done and prices obtained with the result that there is practically no profit.’ At the same time it is admitted that the money spent on air raid precautions could have been spread over several years, which would have improved results. Further on in the report more convincing reasons are given for wanting to shut the Pottery down, which is the trend of the whole memo. ‘While for the period of 20 years during which we have run this business it has probably been well justified by average results, it has given a much greater amount of worry and anxiety than these results justify, and we are now faced with the position that those in the Management are perhaps less able to tackle the increasing worries involved, and the fact that the throwers, who are becoming scarce and gradually dying out without being replaced to any material extent by younger men.’ This could be paraphrased as ‘the management can no longer be bothered and have failed to train any apprentice throwers or modernise.’ The recommendation was that the Pottery be sold in the near future and the Board, on 23 September 1941 resolved to sell the Pottery if a suitable buyer could be found.

But finding a suitable buyer was not so easy. The Pottery buildings were valued at £4,000 by Messrs Thomas Binnie & Hendry, although they were valued at only £100 in the books by this time and had in fact been allowed to fall into a considerable state of disrepair. In November 1941 representatives of Southhook Potteries Ltd. visited the premises but then showed no interest; Govancroft and Buchan had already refused an offer to buy. Even Price Powell whose Bristol works had been destroyed by enemy action intimated that they were not at all interested. This last refusal seems to have convinced the Board that there was no future in trying to sell the Pottery as a pottery and on 20 February 1942 we find that they had opened negotiations with Messrs A. & J. Main & Co. Ltd who wanted to buy the building and a small amount of plant. Their first offer of £3,150, made on 18 April was refused but on 19 June 1942 an offer of £3,750 for the buildings, 2 boilers and the fixed piping was accepted.

This offer was subject to certain conditions, the most important of which seemed to be that entry was to be effected by 20 September, and Glasgow Trading & Transport Ltd. had some difficulty with this. No new business had been accepted for some time and discussions had been going on with Govancroft about taking over any unexecuted orders. An order of 1,000 basketed jars from the Admiralty had been fired but not all basketed and this was to be done elsewhere

On 18 September 1942 Mr Yeaman, Mr McFadyen and the Secretary signed and sealed a disposition of Possil Pottery and Assignation of ground annual to A, & J. Main & Co. Ltd and the Possil Pottery was no more. The profit for the year had been £1,497 and a 2 per cent dividend was paid.

Regards Paul.

(Admin British Antique Bottle Forum)

Thanks for the information Paul. I've not got a Bateson's and they do seem to have had an interesting history, especially regarding ownership changes even before WW1.

Regarding the Possil information, at those returns it was not surprising the business was failing. Clearly the big profits in wartime were in metal related goods.

John

Excuse me if this has already been covered, but are we not almost at the stage where somebody can produce a definitive publication, or at least an article for Stand To! about this? So much information has been contributed that it would be a pity not to capture it in some permanent form.

Jack

Re Slack & Brownlow.

Slack and Brownlows pottery was known as Abbey Hey Pottery located in the Gorton district of Manchester, they made many forums of bottle's. This early Edwardian ginger beer bottle stamp clearly displays the potters mark.

swin-potter.jpg

The company also supplied H.M Govt with basic SRD jars.

Another throw in.

The Berkefeld Filter.

waterfilterDoultonimage011.jpg

"Berkefeld" was originally a German company. In 1919 the Berkefeld Filter contract was awarded to Slack & Brownlow as part of the reparations by the League of Nations after the War , the filters name was changed to British Berkefeld inorder to show the products were now of British manufacture. In 1921 Slack & Brownlow relocated to Tonbridge to be nearer the docks, much of their output was exported to hot countries. Slack & Brownlow were acquired by Portals Water Treatment (now Portacel) then in 1985 by Doulton Industrial Products, the manufacturer of Royal Doulton water filters.

Regards Paul.

(Admin British Antique Bottle Forum)

Excuse me if this has already been covered, but are we not almost at the stage where somebody can produce a definitive publication, or at least an article for Stand To! about this? So much information has been contributed that it would be a pity not to capture it in some permanent form.

Jack

Jack

That wasn't my intent when I started this thread BUT I have been writing a paper on SRD's and have collated a lot of information on a spreadsheet relating to the makers (where information is available). If you could give me a contact on 'Stand To' I could contact them to discuss.

John

Just purchased my first jar - 'Gibbs & Canning Ltd., Tamworth, Staffs' Has got the cork in it but feels empty! Should have been £25 but I did a swap for a 70s flying jacket. Really pleased although my wife keeps asking where I am going to put it!

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Light fitting in top and a nice shade and will fit in nicely in the study.

Light fitting in top and a nice shade and will fit in nicely in the study.

Good plan but I think the current Mrs. Maldon might notice!!!

Regards.

SPN

Maldon