Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SRD Jars - Who made them?

Gunner Bailey

When this thread runs its course, is someone going to publish a definitive list? Might even make a story for the WFA magazine.

Jack

Jack

I'm compiling a list from this thread and am adding additional data from other sources. Would be happy to help with an article on the subject and could supply photos.

John

Just got back from Bapaume where there is a large number of SRD's for sale and look what I found, one with a handle, just what I was looking for.

Mick

Mick

It may be worth noting that the Buchan for this jar may be different from the one previously mentioned in this thread.

John

Word of caution when examining 'bottoms' of SRD jars.

I recently turned an SRD jar over to read said 'bottom' in the Musee d'Abris shop (Albert) only to send about half a pint of black rancid sweet smelling sticky glupe slopping all over the floor!

Try explaining that one in pidgeon French ! :P

Did a similar thing in one of the Reclaimation Yards outside Well - SRD jar seemed to be well corked, turned it up, and a whole load of Cider dribbled out the end over my hands!

:rolleyes:

Can anyone add any?

Barker Pottery Chesterfield

Batesons

Bourne Denby

F Brayne & Co Ltd London

Buchan Portobello Edinburgh

W Buchan & Co Potteries Portobello Midlothian

G Carder & Sons Leys Pottery Brierley Hill

Caledonian Rutherglew

Covancroft Pottery co Ltd Glasgow

Doulton & Co Ltd Lambeth

Fossil Pottery Glasgow

Fulham Pottery

Gibbs Canning Ltd Tamworth

Grosvenor Glasgow

Hunts Patent Liverpool

Kennedy Barrowfield Potteries Glasgow

Lovatts Langley Ware England

Moira Pottery Co Ltd

Price Bristol

C Phillips & Son Castleford

James Pearson Ltd Chesterfield

Pearson & Co The Potteries Whittington Moor nr Chesterfield

The Pottery Fulham London

Robinson Jack Lane Pottery Leeds

Skey Tamworth

Port Dundas Pottery Co Glasgow

E Potter Whittington Moor nr Chesterfield

Wallace Belfast

E Wright & Co Ltd Chesterfield

Mick

Thanks Mick that's great. The best list I've seen to date. I supect the guy in Belgium has access to quite a few jars. Even if he doesn't buy them he can check them out in the markets.

John

Word of caution when examining 'bottoms' of SRD jars.

I recently turned an SRD jar over to read said 'bottom' in the Musee d'Abris shop (Albert) only to send about half a pint of black rancid sweet smelling sticky glupe slopping all over the floor!

Try explaining that one in pidgeon French ! :P

If that was original rum they could have charged more!

GB <_<

3 sizes and an Indian God.

Mick

3 sizes and an Indian God.

Mick

Nice one Mick. I've not seen a two gallon jar yet. I would guess that the two gallon jars came in with WW2 and improved motor transport.

John

Apart from knowing the jar was purchased in France, I have no idea of its provenance. The maker is Pearson, usual ink stamped mark on base.

Mick

The middle one is Lovatts Langley Ware England, the small one is Doulton.

Well guys,

we just got an email from Réal,the bloke who did the Militaria SRD thing.

Here it is,

Dear Friends,

It is with a heavy heart that I must announce the fatal accident occurred to Lebanon during a neutralization of ammunition with a member from the Belgian Bomb Disposal (EOD) Stefan Vanpeteghem, 35 years and father of two children.

Stefan was a colleague and friend, our prayers are with his wife and her children.

Best regards

Réal Desmarets

Belgian Bomb Disposal

EOD - IED

off topic,I know but,thinking of Stefan & his family.

Terrible news Dave. Please pass on condolences to and via your friend to the family. Sadly he won't be the last. Very brave men who work for us all.

John

Apart from knowing the jar was purchased in France, I have no idea of its provenance. The maker is Pearson, usual ink stamped mark on base.

Mick

The middle one is Lovatts Langley Ware England, the small one is Doulton.

Thanks Mick - All useful info.

I've just seen a poor quality photo of a webbing harness used to carry SRD jars in the trenches. Does anyone have more details?

Gunner Bailey

I've seen one but I don't think it is original, looked like a made up piece, but there is a picture about, I'm not sure its not on this forum somewhere.

Mick

Found the picture

Mick

Something about it doesn't ring true. But as usual I am more then happy to be corrected.

Mick

Found the picture

Mick

Something about it doesn't ring true. But as usual I am more then happy to be corrected.

Mick

Mick

That's the picture I've seen recently.

I would have thought a SRD carrier would have been a standard piece of 08 webbing kit if this photo is right but I've never seen another illustration of one. I'm sure an 08 expert on the forum could tell us.

John

I bought one at the museum shop in Albert last summer. Thankfully it was empty when I turned it over to look at the bottom.

I had despaired of deciphering the makers mark until I saw this thread. Now I realize it is a Hulls Patent, Liverpool.

/Lars

I bought one at the museum shop in Albert last summer. Thankfully it was empty when I turned it over to look at the bottom.

I had despaired of deciphering the makers mark until I saw this thread. Now I realize it is a Hulls Patent, Liverpool.

/Lars

Lars

Welcome to the forum.

It will be HUNTS Patent, Liverpool. I have one of these with a clear impressed mark near the base. Nice quality jars.

Gunner Bailey

Thanks for the welcome! Of course the mark (near the base on mine too) says "Hunts", thats what happens when relying on the memory for something read 2 minutes before...

Lars

All,

The web item shown is a WW2 insulated ration container harness. Nowt to do with either WW1 or SRD jars...

Maybe an example of creative salesmanship??

Tocemma

The photo is recent too of course.

All,

The web item shown is a WW2 insulated ration container harness. Nowt to do with either WW1 or SRD jars...

Maybe an example of creative salesmanship??

Tocemma

The photo is recent too of course.

Many thanks for that piece of information. I thought it may have been post WW1, but you've filled in the gaps too.

GB :D

• 2 months later...

Now here's a problem.

I've just bought an SRD that is totally enclosed in wicker. Even with a strong torch I can't see a mark or SRD under the wicker. Is it possible to remove the wicker without damage?

Gunner Bailey

Gunner

am no expert but maybe soaking in hot water will allow the wicker to expand releasing the jar then resoak the wicker making it more pliable so that you can replace said jar , only a thought

tafski

Now here's a problem.

I've just bought an SRD that is totally enclosed in wicker. Even with a strong torch I can't see a mark or SRD under the wicker. Is it possible to remove the wicker without damage?

Simple answer - no. I have one that's like that, and the only way to do it would be to remove the wicker section going up to the neck, and you can't do that without damaging it to some extent (as it was never designed to be removed, and only to protect the comparitively expensive and reusable jar from damage).

Simple answer - no. I have one that's like that, and the only way to do it would be to remove the wicker section going up to the neck, and you can't do that without damaging it to some extent (as it was never designed to be removed, and only to protect the comparitively expensive and reusable jar from damage).

Andrew

I tend to agree. I have found a few SRDs in France that have had standard makers marks (SKEY being the main one) where there is no SRD marking on the top surface and I've always assumed these were destined from the start to be 'wickered'. Why mark something that will be covered?

Gunner Bailey

I have 3 jars all made by Persons of Chesterfield which is really nice because I live in Chesterfield and its great to see your home town connection with the war effort.

Nim.