Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SRD Jars - Who made them?

Gunner Bailey

There is an oval makers mark which starts with a M**, and has Pot** underneath before it becomes unreadable. I am assuming it is Moira Pottery Co Ltd.

Gareth

Gareth

I'd agree with you on Moira Pottery. If you do get the jar wicker covered can you post a photo? I'm sure many people would be interested.

John

GB

Interesting to see Tocemma's posts of 2 Jan concerning the sale of RN rum jars. Two things to say,from one who used to blend and pack these jars, and various sizes of cask, (hic!):

1) the rum in the jars was 95.5 proof, and in casks 96.5 proof,the standard for all issue-strength rum (as opposed to overproof rum in supplier's barrels for blending),and,

2) Only one service would have packed the rum (RN Suppy and Transport Service). It was supplied as required to the RN to meet the daily "tot" regime,and to specific order from other Services on Vote Payment ( that is it wasn't free, as with the RN).

I just realised that my store MIGHT have packed these !!!

Sotonmate

Did all the wicker covers cover the complete jar, including the shoulders to the to top?

Mick

Did all the wicker covers cover the complete jar, including the shoulders to the to top?

Mick

With the jars we had in our paint store, the wicker came up to the shoulder of the jar. This why I can remember that some, not all were marked SRD. They were used to decant thinners from the drums to the bench and job. They had been there for ages. What I cannot remember was if there were handles made into the top of the basket.

G

Mick

Mick

All the wicker covered jars I've seen in photos or real life have been covered up to the top of the 'cone', leaving the collar free. The wicker that covers the top of the jar is a separate piece from the main covering. It is possible that some jars may have lost the top part of the wicker. Is that what you were thinking?

Also

Many thanks to the moderator moved this thread to the 'Classic Threads' section. It's greatly appreciated.

John

I have seen a couple of jars entirely covered, but I'm fairly certain they were local brewery items.

What I would like to do is to make a container along the pattern in the pictures above and try to find some wicker covers.

I have seen a couple of jars entirely covered, but I'm fairly certain they were local brewery items.

What I would like to do is to make a container along the pattern in the pictures above and try to find some wicker covers.

Mick

Whilst you are out in France you may want to have a look at the wicker workshops at Le Boisle (about 10k SSW of Hesdin on the D928). They might be able to wicker up a jar for you. There are a couple of them at that location.

John

Mick,

Yes,the body of the jar was woven seperately and the top woven in it's shape and then they were joined with a wicker strand (or two). The handles were part of the body.

Sotonmate

• 4 weeks later...

On Sunday I was at the Militaria Fair in Ham (France) and saw a half gallon SRD by Price of Bristol. It had some cracks around the neck so I didn't buy it (someone did a few minutes later though), but I thought it is interesting to see who made the smaller jars.

John

• 2 months later...

I've just bought a 1/2 Gallon SRD which I think may be from Moira Pottery but am unsure. The base has a large stamped mark but it is quite feint. It is 3 1/4 by 2 1/2 inches in size which is quite big.

Any help appreciated. Photos attached.

John

post-8629-1241274261.jpg

post-8629-1241274344.jpg

• 3 months later...

I have noticed half gallon one sold on ebay just now with a maker I've not seen before.

MOTTISHAW & BRADSHAW

CASTLEFORD

So the list is now....

Barker Pottery Chesterfield

Batesons

Bourne Denby

F Brayne & Co Ltd London

Buchan Portobello Edinburgh

W Buchan & Co Potteries Portobello Midlothian

G Carder & Sons Leys Pottery Brierley Hill

Caledonian Rutherglew

Covancroft Pottery co Ltd Glasgow

Doulton & Co Ltd Lambeth

Fossil Pottery Glasgow

Fulham Pottery

Gibbs Canning Ltd Tamworth

Grosvenor Glasgow

Hunts Patent Liverpool

Kennedy Barrowfield Potteries Glasgow

Lovatts Langley Ware England

Moira Pottery Co Ltd

Mottishaw & Bradshaw Castleford

Price Bristol

C Phillips & Son Castleford

James Pearson Ltd Chesterfield

Pearson & Co The Potteries Whittington Moor nr Chesterfield

The Pottery Fulham London

Robinson Jack Lane Pottery Leeds

Skey Tamworth

Port Dundas Pottery Co Glasgow

E Potter Whittington Moor nr Chesterfield

Wallace Belfast

E Wright & Co Ltd Chesterfield

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mick

I think this is one of the rarest makers. I got one of their jars last year and it took a while to decipher the stamp. I had to buy a rare book about Castleford Potteries to learn about them.

There is one maker who keeps eluding me. Their stamp is a tiny oval shape about half an inch across, with seemingly no details in it. I bought one of these this summer and they have one in the La Targette museum.

John

Next week and week after we will be visiting as many markets and antique shops as possible so will keep an eye out.

Mick

Next week and week after we will be visiting as many markets and antique shops as possible so will keep an eye out.

Mick

Good luck Mick.

Did you see my post 210# about the large oval stamp? I did think this might be Moira but I now have a Moira jar and the stamp is quite small. So this must be another unknown maker.

John

There is one maker who keeps eluding me. Their stamp is a tiny oval shape about half an inch across, with seemingly no details in it.

John

It's not a lightly stamped Bourne is it?

Mick

It's not a lightly stamped Bourne is it?

Mick

Hi Mick,

I think you are right. I've compared it in size to a Bourne impressed mark I have on a dye bottle and they are the same size. I find it odd though that Bourne marks are normally one of the clearest marks in pottery yet the two SRD's I've seen with this mark are just feint ovals where you can see no detail. very strange. Here's some photos.

John

post-8629-1251184205.jpg

post-8629-1251184220.jpg

John, not clear at all on mine, can just make it out.

Mick

John, not clear at all on mine, can just make it out.

Mick

Well at least that's another mystery solved and people can learn from our common experience of Bourne jars.

John

John I think you have just validated Tricias opinion of us obsessive collectors.

Mick

John I think you have just validated Tricias opinion of us obsessive collectors.

Mick

Mmmmmm, possibly Mick. Even my wife has got used to us having a conservatory full of SRD jars now! I'll post a photo of them all soon.

I had thought my new mystery jar (post 210#) may have been a Price Bristol, but it's not, so a genuine new one. I may have to track down an u/v lamp to try to read the mark.

John

• 1 month later...
I've just bought a 1/2 Gallon SRD which I think may be from Moira Pottery but am unsure. The base has a large stamped mark but it is quite feint. It is 3 1/4 by 2 1/2 inches in size which is quite big.

Any help appreciated. Photos attached.

John

Bonjour John,

I just got a similar jar, with same kind of stamp, except that is a bit more readable.

I suppose it is something like :

BLACK & SHAWN LD COR or GOR---- ???

Maybe somebody can help us on that.

Jeff

Bonjour John,

I just got a similar jar, with same kind of stamp, except that is a bit more readable.

I suppose it is something like :

BLACK & SHAWN LD COR or GOR---- ???

Maybe somebody can help us on that.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I will investgate!

Watch this space (hopefully).

John

Jeff

Can we have a picture of the stamp and the SRD marking? That maker isn't on our list.

Mick

Jeff

Can we have a picture of the stamp and the SRD marking? That maker isn't on our list.

Mick

I've not been able to find it in my pottery reference books either.

John