Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SRD Jars - Who made them?

Gunner Bailey

Hello,

I have two S.R.D. jars, both of tham from antique shop in Israel.

one with impressed trade mark PRICE 10 BRISTOL the secound with a stmped trade mark PEARSON & Co. The POTTERIES, WHITTINGTON MOOR CHESTERFIELD/

Amnon

Cnock thats brilliant. the handle and top are exactly the same as the piece I found at White City, unfortunayley it wasn't a big enough piece to include the SRD.

Mick

For Mick,

Regards,

Cnock

Thats a great jar Cnock. Thanks for putting up the photos. I wonder if the SRDs were made for normal UK domestic wear and the diverted to the military at the last moment and stamped SRD?

Gunner Bailey

Hi Mick,

The 'old fossile' is glad You liked the pics

Hi Gunner Bailey,

I cannot answer Your question, only I can say the jar comes from Flanders.

Regards,

Cnock

I've an impressed

PRICE

BRISTOL

jar.

Interesting - two other posters have noted a Price 2 Bristol and a Price 10 Bristol. Anyone know more about the Bristol jars?

Hello, G.B. -

I found my WWII jug, which I thought that I had traded off years ago. It's a 1-gal. jug with "S.R.D." printed under the glaze. On the bottom are the ink-stamped markings "1940" and in an oval, "JAMES PEARSON" over "LIMITED" over "CHESTERFIELD." Additionally, the letter "C" is impressed in the jug just beneath the "S.R.D." marking.

Back in the 1980s I purchased five WWII-dated "SRD" jugs from a pottery vendor at a flea market in Raleigh, NC. [You can imagine my surprise to find them here in the US!] The vendor informed me that the jugs were included in a consignment of pottery that arrived from the UK. The latest dated jug was "1945" and the earliest was the "1940" jug that I still have. I also purchased a large 2-gal. jug that was included in the group, but it was undated and did not have any manufacturer's markings, and so I parted with it earlier this year.

Regards, Torrey

I have another I've just looked at that is completley unmarked.

Mick

I just bought the september issue of Militaria magazine here,today.

Inside is a very good article on SRD jars by my Belgian mate,Réal.

He's a proper anorak :P

Buy it

I just bought the september issue of Militaria magazine here,today.

Inside is a very good article on SRD jars by my Belgian mate,Réal.

He's a proper anorak :P

Buy it

Thanks Dave, Where's here?

Do you mean the French Magazine? UK or France I'll look for that.

Cheers

Gunner Bailey (trainee Anorak ;) )

Yeah,kids.

French Armes et Militaria,Sept.Always comes out a few days in advance.

Réal's thing is on a par with Joe Sweeney's excellent stuff,posted in the same magazine but on more interesting,sorry,more topical stuff.

4(excuse me*yawns*)full on pages(at least,seemed more than 4 to me)of magic Great War pottery rum jars!!!!

Cannot curtail the excitement I feel !

Oh,is that the time?

Night all..........

Thanks Dave. However your timing is terrible. I've just come back from France and won't be back there until mid October, by which time it will be out of the shops....

GB :angry:

I will have a look today.

Mick

I will have a look today.

Mick

Thanks Mick. If you can get me a copy I'd be grateful. PM me if you can get one and we'll sort out the transfers.

Cheers

John

There was only one in Albert, so I bought it, I will look around ( I think they might sell it at Thiepval), otherwise I will send you this copy when I get back. There is also an excellent article about Arnhem. I will feedback when I have settled down and perused, although on first look not any new info but its nicely laid out with some great pictures.

Mick

Word of caution when examining 'bottoms' of SRD jars.

I recently turned an SRD jar over to read said 'bottom' in the Musee d'Abris shop (Albert) only to send about half a pint of black rancid sweet smelling sticky glupe slopping all over the floor!

Try explaining that one in pidgeon French ! :P

There was only one in Albert, so I bought it, I will look around ( I think they might sell it at Thiepval), otherwise I will send you this copy when I get back. There is also an excellent article about Arnhem. I will feedback when I have settled down and perused, although on first look not any new info but its nicely laid out with some great pictures.

Mick

Thanks Very much Mick - a true Pal!

John

Just got back from Bapaume where there is a large number of SRD's for sale and look what I found, one with a handle, just what I was looking for.

Mick

BUCHAN

PORTOBELLO

EDINBURGH

Mick

Just got back from Bapaume where there is a large number of SRD's for sale and look what I found, one with a handle, just what I was looking for.

Mick

To repeat a famous quote in a film 'I've got to get me one of these'. Great buy Mick.

John

I will keep an eye out, now that Cnock has started me off, I will probably be seeing them everywhere.

Mick