Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualty Lists

stiletto_33853

109251 Spr Brisland has no 1914-15 Star and 116255 Pnr Noakes was discharged on 28/12/1916. This list must be 1916. Sappers Lindsay and Dixon of 121 FC (36 Div) are not mentioned in the 121 FC WD which names casualties up to the end of June 1916.

bm 58.jpg

No 1914-15 Stars for Pte Meadows (whose correct number is 128887), Dvr Cuckson or Spr Fleetwood. The service record for Henry Meadows records that he arrived in France 19/03/1916 and was part of 5 Bn Special Brigade. He was in various medical centres in July/August.   The service record of 121869 Frank Hollins shows that he was wounded on 27/07/1916.

bm 59.jpg

Not good resolution on this one but the service record of Reginald H Rewell shows that he was a chemist in civilian life who transferred to the RE on 22/02/1916 and served in France and Flanders with 4 Special Brigade from 12/03/1916 to 27/10/1916. He was commissioned in 1918. The correct spelling for 131672 is Cox W H.

bm 60.jpg

Brian, I find these casualty lists very useful. I have the medal trio to 334 SPR. G. ROBERTSON. R.E. (post 601) and a pair to 314 SPR. A. GREGORY. R.E. (post 604). What is less helpful is that these show only half the casualty list and does not show the wound or disease to which they relate. Have you that information for the two that I mention, please?

Jim, these are generally found in service records where the lists have been converted to scrap paper after they had been processed, and there are there due to what's been written on the other (originally blank) side of the list.  I'm afraid what you see is what you get. FindMyPast at least should have indexed all the names on scraps like this, so you could find the record and try going through it to see if the other half shows up elsewhere in the same file, but it would be a bit of a long shot.

I've not as yet found a way to find whose service/Pension record the scrap lists are in. FMP have indexed them but they seem to be stored or linked to a slightly different url. Unlike ancestry you can't just browse forward & back to see the entire record. Sometimes there are 3 or 4 scraps grouped together which can be browsed but there seems to be no context other than I presume they were originally in one man's record.

You can find (manually) scrap lists on ancestry but they're not indexed. You can then find them in a man's service record on FMP and view the scrap in sequence, if you search for another name on the scrap you end up seeing the same image but with a different url.

I tried all sorts of url editing and fiddling to work back from an isolated scrap to the man's record and failed in doing so.

I did manage to find different copies of the same scrap list, IE duplicates of the original casualty list must have been used as scrap in different men's records, so where you get holes or burns in a sheet they may not appear on another copy and the 3 or 4 scrap sheets that are grouped together on FMP won't necessarily be the same for the other man. Hope that makes sense.

In some cases there may be a little more information where it's been torn further across.

I tried mirror imaging some of the scrap lists to see if the bleed through gave any clue as to whose record it was in, this might work for some but no success as yet.

TEW

TEW   FMP always give the originating record in the Transcript.  I took the example above for Rewell. FMP say it was from Grier's Service Record WO 363. I looked at Grier's Service Record on FMP and there it was.  Charlie962

Jim

Charlie 962 is correct in that the FMP check shows where the list was found. I advised Terry about a Special Brigade sapper 188 Sgt A Doree whose name appears in the Times OCL 13/11/1916 under RE wounded. The image was too faint to post. FMP shows that the document was found in the service record of 77063 Henry Jones RE.

I have agreed with Diane that I should start a new thread about these partial lists, the aim being to identify Units. See Royal Engineers Sick and Wounded 1916 in the Soldiers Forum. which I started on 15/08 and I am indexing them, and the others I have posted here.

Diane

One more list for you, this time a complete one. 48445 Spr Hopwood W appears in the Times OCL 15/11/1916 (second list) under RE wounded - Shell Shock.

bm 65.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547

Yes, well what can I say. I wasted 2 hours in the library over engineering a way to work backwards from a single sheet list and never thought the original service record would be listed in the transcription, lesson learned.

Anyway, perhaps not the full 2 hours wasted, I did find the same progress list P.71344 in 2 different records. If you look at the 2 images given for Unwin  you'll see what I mean, one is from Richard Davies and the other from the file for Francis Bryan O'Sullivan, or at least that's what the transcription says.

If you go through Francis Bryan O'Sullivan's file I can't see it but it is in that for Davies???

I'm not sure why when you search FMP for the names on the P.71344 list some come up from Davies and some from O'Sullivan but they are different images.

TEW

It's ok. I now understand that what is entered here is all that is available and that these are scraps of recycled paper found in the files of others. As I research medals it can be a little frustrating to have knowledge that a recipient was wounded or ill but the cause has been torn off the sheet. But what remains is still useful to me. Thank you one and all.

As far as I can establish the details of the obscured RE casualties are:

147311 A C Harris

115098 W J Treffis

134409 E R Cornish

6321 (later 426861) William H Crook, West Lancs RE

bm 68.jpg

Jim

Glad to help. The WDs of 1/2 Durham FC, later 527 FC (5 Div) do not name other ranks so I could not corroborate. More in the pipeline.

Brian

bm 71.jpg

130960 Spr Burns J appears in the Times OCL 23/11/1916 under RE wounded

Edited by brianmorris547
additional information

113539 Sjt Hope H appears in the Times OCL 01/12/1916 under RE wounded.

bm 74.jpg

Diane

Although we cannot see the year on this list it must be 1916. I have recently posted list H 7401 (post 598), list 7403 (post 583) and list 7416 (post 559). They all are dated April 1916. Also Sprs Todd, Pocock and Barrell have no 1914-15 Star.

Brian

bm 78.jpg

Post 619   The FMP version extends the right hand side just enough to confirm that the year is 1916 for the entries marked 3rd April !

Diane the copy comes out darker. Best to see original on FMP casualtylist H7414.JPG

Edited by charlie962

Diane

I found it by searching FMP with service number 1178 and Royal Engineers in the Optional Keywords. I will search with some of the other numbers on the same list to see if I can get a year, otherwise I will index it on my Sick and Wounded Royal Engineers 1916 system.

Brian

Diane

As Charlie says, you can only just make it out, this is the best I could get. See 489 Pte Green. Please let me know if you want me to put the names on my sick and wounded RE index.

Brian

green.jpg