Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualty Lists

stiletto_33853

`

38 minutes ago, brianmorris547 said:

Jim

Glad I could help, rather than wait for these 1916 RE lists to turn up I am actively searching for them. I am using the Times Digital Archive to identify RE wounded in the OCLs and then searching FMP with the service numbers. One day I hope to find my RE grandfather who was wounded in 1916. These lists can be inaccurate so corroboration is desirable. It promises to be a long haul and so I have warned Diane. In the meantime, another one:

bm 06.jpg

Brian

I am also interested in RE Casualties in 1916. I have a relation 2nd/Lt Herbert James King, who was in 1/1 South Midlands Field Company (later re-designated 474th Field Coy), who was wounded in the lower left leg on 14 August 1916 near Ovillers in the Somme (possibly Skyline Trench). He must have gone to a field hospital (no record of which one). On 30 August 1916 he was stabilised and shipped back to England from Rouen to Southampton arriving on 1 September 1916. He was in Lady Leyland Barratts Hospital for Officers in Torquay, and possibly other hospitals for a period of 18 months. If while looking you happen to come across him could you post the casualty list up.

Geoff

Geoff

Certainly but all the ones I've seen so far are for other ranks

Brian

No date or list number on this one but 1321 Spr Warner W J appears in the Times OCL 04/10/1916 under RE Wounded.

bm 07.jpg

Nor this one but 104110 Pnr Bilton J F appears in the Times OCL RE wounded 05/10/1916

bm 08.jpg

129965 Cpl G H Hodges appears in the Times OCL 05/10/1916 under RE Wounded but this list seems to be for illness not wounds

bm 09.jpg

The unfortunate Sapper Miller. There is a brief reference in the WD of 227 FC "7 men of the coy injured (5 seriously) by accidental explosion of bomb in yard at coy hqrs"

bm 10.jpg

Again undated and for illness but 192971 Pnr Williams J appears in the Times OCL 05/10/1916 under RE wounded.

bm 11.jpg

bm 12.jpg

bm 13.jpg

60658 Dvr S Harvey appears in the Times OCL 09/10/1916 under RE wounded, this list is presumably for an earlier event.

bm 14.jpg

bm 15.jpg

155439 Spr J Wright appears in the Times OCL 09/10/1916 (second list) under RE wounded. He appears on the next four lists.

bm 16.jpg

This list shows Spr Wright's unit as 10 Tun co.

bm 17.jpg

Spr Wright again, undated but appears to relate to the previous post.

bm 18.jpg

Not good resolution on this one, Spr Wright's unit is now shown as 258 Tunnel Co

bm 19.jpg

bm 34.jpg

This one is undated but must relate to 1916. 81720 Spr Wormwell H enlisted into the County Palatine RE (30 Div) on 18/03/1915. He has no 1914-15 Star. He was discharged on 25/08/1916 according to his SWB record.

bm 35.jpg

Not good resolution on this one

bm 36.jpg

This one could relate to 1916. 1173 Spr Leminton G H appears in the Times OCL 23/10/1916, Second List, under RE wounded Shell Shock. He arrived in France on 31/03/1915 and was discharged on to the Z Reserve in 1919.

bm 37.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547
correction

this puts a date of Aug 1916 for prev post re Clapp altho' Limington Shell Shock rather than jaundice? Both apearing on both lists suggests same event?

re casualties aug 16.JPG

I think the date we can see is Nov 16, 79922 Spr Davies W appears in the Times OCL 24/10/1916 under RE wounded.

bm 38.jpg

Have been busy for past few months with other things, but today went through the Casualty Lists for the time I have missed.  I am always on the lookout for my grandfather Andrew Clark (10260)1st Seaforth until about 1915/16 and then 8th Seaforth. He was wounded twice.  Firstly in either late 1914 or early 1915, and then lost his arm at 3rd Ypres.  Whilst I have been able to find the newspaper list of casualties for 8th Seaforth for 3rd Ypres,I have never been able to find any other lists.  On looking through those posted here, I notice that there are not many for Scottish Regiments.  I realise that some have been found in odd files, but wonder if anyone knows if there is an 8th Seaforth list available anywhere.

Thanks,

Hazel C.

Hazel

In 2008 Forum Member Steve E found some at Kew in WO 329/3035 being reused as Silver War Badge Rolls by the Hamilton Record Office (see post 40 and for Scottish Regiments posts 49 and 52). Following his lead I found some more in WO 329/3034, again as reused papers, and these were posted within the last year. You may have noticed that I am searching FMP for 1916 Royal Engineers lists in the hope that I find my grandfather. I have realised that if his number does not come up on a FMP search then they have not found a list with his name on it. The ones that Steve E found in 3035 (and I found in 3034) will probably not have been indexed by FMP and I am continuing to search whenever I am at Kew. I will look for your man tomorrow on FMP.

In the meantime another RE list from 1917. 112446 Spr F Harris appears in the Times OCL 24/10/1916 under RE wounded.

bm 39.jpg

Thanks so much Brian.  I have tried FMP, but have never been able to find any actual copies of casualty lists.  Don't know the date of my grandfather's first wounding, which, although it was sufficiently severe to have him sent home, doesn't even seem to show in the Edinburgh papers.  However, he is listed as a casualty in the Scotsman in early August 1917, which suggests the opening of 3rd Ypres.  He was also gazetted in August for the M.M.  His rank at the time was L/Sgt.

Hazel

Hazel

I searched FMP soldier no 10260 and put Seaforth Highlanders in the Optional Keyword box. There were no results. I tried A Clark and removed the number and it came up with this but it is a different man. Put Seaforth Highlanders (or any regiment) in the Optional Keywords box and leave the rest blank it will come back with results, these casualty lists are the ones with just an initial for the first name.

seaforth.jpg