Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualty Lists

stiletto_33853

Hi Brian,

I really appreciate your search on my behalf. It is often the case with both my grandfather and my great uncle, both of whom I have researched, that when it looks like the end has been reached in terms of info., something pops up somewhere, so I keep looking.

Many thanks,

Hazel

bm 40.jpg

bm 41.jpg

bm 42.jpg

bm 43.jpg

bm 44.jpg

21471 Dvr G Fry appears in the Times OCL 01/11/1916 under RE wounded.

bm 45.jpg

The correct details for the obscured RE men are:

115511 James Ebbsworth, later 291483 Labour Corps

86650   Allen Bellingham (ex York and Lancaster 136)

929       George J Eades

7712     Eli James Carter, later 387712 RE

bm 46.jpg

bm 48.jpg

I have noticed when checking some of the names on these lists against the MICs and Medal Rolls that there are a number of mistakes, usually names spelt incorrectly or wrong numbers shown. 57066 Sgt Hughes J on this list is correct however, he appears in the Times OCL 04/11/1916 under RE wounded so this list may relate to 1916.

bm 49.jpg

3763 Spr Wagstaff S H also appears in the Times OCL 04/11/1916 under RE wounded. This list may therefore also be 1916.

bm 50.jpg

post 586 includes Watts RGA whose Servicec record gives us the date and casualty list number   

watts gw 1916.JPG

Brian, would you rather I pm'd you with this sort of info so you could incorporate it direct into the relevant post by way of edit?

No please feel free to add in things like this, it helps Diane put a date to the list. I am searching for these RE lists in the hope that I find my grandfather who was wounded in 1916. FMP has done a good job of indexing these lists that appear in service records and I realise that if I search with his name, initial and number using Royal Engineers in the optional keyword box, and come up with a blank, then he does not appear on one of them. I am continuing to search because I have found some lists that are hardly readable and when I have deciphered the name it does not come up on a FMP search. It's called clutching at straws.

Brian

Not the best resolution. 43500 Spr Webb F appears in the Times OCL 06/11/1916 under RE wounded. This would appear to be an earlier injury, he has no 1914-15 star.

bm 51.jpg

Brian, funny you should post this list because I started a thread on William Roberts 17991 RGA only a couple of days ago. I'd seen the same list indexed on FMP.Charlie962

Charlie

Just read it. I am also preparing a list for Terry of RE Special Brigade men who are on lists that are too faint to post e.g 129007 Pte Marks J, 3 Special Brigade who was gassed and admitted to 8 Sty Hospital in October 1916. List H A 3157. His name appears in the Times OCL 07/11/1916 under RE wounded, rank shown as Pnr.

Brian

Even the FMP version for your post 591 is very feint but legible. Interesting that Marks is shown as 'W.Gassed Drift' which presumably means his own gas blowing

back ? Charlie

Charlie

I presume so, and I've got three more that are on another barely readable list for the same reason. As soon as I've found their MICs/rolls I will advise Terry.

Brian

157585 Spr McQueen and 175788 Pnr Jones do not have the 1914-15 Star and so this list is from 1916 onwards.

cpre 03.jpg

bm 54.jpg

1849 Spr W Rew appears in the Times OCL 10/11/1916 under RE wounded.

bm 55.jpg

2 minutes ago, brianmorris547 said:

1849 Spr W Rew appears in the Times OCL 10/11/1916 under RE wounded. List is from Egypt.

bm 55.jpg

bm 56.jpg

131157 Spr Perry R appears in the Times OCL 10/11/1916 under RE wounded - Shell Shock. He has no 1914-15 Star and his SWB roll records that he was discharged with Shell Shock on 02/02/1917. This list will therefore be 1916. My notes tell me that o/r casualties are named in the WD of 233 FC, 41 Div. Spr Perry is mentioned on 05/10/1916 as wounded shell shock as two sections were constructing a line in front of the Divisional Front Line. There is a bit more info about the work in the WD of 41 Div CRE.

bm 57.jpg

Neither 88459 Spr Jones nor 138364 Spr Clayton have the 1914-15 Star and the pension record of 81545 Pnr Francis E Robinson, an original 30 Div County Palatine RE man, shows that he arrived in France on 07/11/1915 with 30 Div Sigs Co RE and was accidentally injured on 10/08/1916. This list probably dates to 1916.

cpre 16.jpg